Author Topic: Smithfield  (Read 20358 times)

Maurice

Smithfield
« on: February 11, 2006, 11:52:54 PM »
Nobody remember Smithfield. I'll never forget it. Televisions, record players, accordions, books.
I was not an original Belfastee and only arrived mid sixties. There has to be many memories. - Fred Hanna in record shop - 78s galore. Come on!

Mageeka

Re: Smithfield
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 12:17:06 AM »

Maurice
Was that The Fred Hannah who played the Accordion ?

Do remember the big stuffed bear outside the original Joe Kavanaughs also Montgomery's pet store?

Maurice

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 11:02:01 AM »
Yes! That was the same Fred Hanna. I saw him last year at a Dermot O'Brien concert - still smoking the pipe. Yes I remeber all those other bits you mention and McBrneys record shop on the corner. Again I was a regular at the Ham shop in Winetavern Street. Many will remember Billy The Hat who worked there
Regards

Maurice

giannineo

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 11:45:05 PM »
Aye,the pet store....our school hired guinea pigs from there for around 7'6d a term.You simply brought the pet back at holiday times.There was a motor bike shop next the pet stores in Gresham Street.
        Floods second hand shop,a shop inside the market which sold war relics.
        Was Joe Kavanagh's motto,"I buy anything"?

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 05:40:05 AM »
You are right giannineo. "I Buy Anything" was Joe Kavanagh's slogan. Kenneth McNally published a book of photographs "Smithfield Market, Belfast" some time ago. I would love a copy if I could lay my hands on one ..
I preferred the old market to the new one.

EllCee

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 04:15:17 PM »
Again I was a regular at the Ham shop in Winetavern Street.
Regards

Maurice

I remember the shop.  I built a couple of small receivers years ago.

Did you get a licence, Maurice?
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 04:26:14 PM »
You may be lucky if you get a reply there Les :D
I think Maurice has vanished. His last post was on 16th March.
If anyone knows him tell him we are more or less up and running once again.

Building small receivers sounds complicated Les :D

I found it much easier to buy a couple of rabbits. Male and famale naturally .. let them get on with rabbit type things :D We then sold baby rabbits (bunnies to the smaller people reading the thread). My sister and I added a few bob to our pocket money when we called at the pet shop with lots of baby rabbits. Well you wouldn't be taking one or two .. you know what rabbits do.

EllCee

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 05:04:25 PM »
There was a shop on the Albertbridge Road which always had rabbits hanging up outside.  I haven't seen that in NI for years, but did when we were in Yorkshire some years ago.
"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Christopher

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 10:58:52 PM »
Have you all forgotten the Joke Shop at Smithfield ???

Here is a website about a couple of the Smithfield bookshops ... The Arcade and Harry Halls.

maggiemay

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 12:30:34 PM »
Smithfield was a magical place.My father never missed a Saturday going there.He always came home with second hand books.We still have some of them.His cousin Charlotte had a fruit stall at on end of Smithfield.Such a shame thet it was destroyed.There'll never be a place like it

Keith Campbell

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 08:25:54 AM »
I bought my first bicycle in Smithfield it cost me £11 I saved the money up by working in the “Pig & Chicken”  doing the dishes, anyone remember the “Pig”?

Keith
today started like any other but then  ...

Mageeka

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 04:49:51 PM »
Another family who had a fruit stall in S/field were the Conways from Alexander St West
They never weighed the fruti but just gave extra. Usually a 1/2 pound over, plus they always let you try the fruit first  I loved that as a kid

Christopher

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 05:09:24 PM »
The Pig & Chicken at Templepatrick, Thompsons Restaurant (managed by John Gamble) in Donegall Place
and the Old Inn at Crawfordsburn all belonged to Cyril Lord, "the Carpet King", at one time. He was a director
of Thompsons Restaurant (1952) Ltd in Callender Street. It was managed by D. M. Fulford-Talbot in 1960.
W. H. McMillan was also a director of Thompsons.

eddiec

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 06:57:19 PM »
Ah :) ... I spent much time and much money in Halls bookshop... I filled several bookcases... before I had to make room for the kids  :(
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

eastender

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 06:02:45 AM »
I remember buyin motor bike gear at a shop called Andrews in 1969.

Went to school with a boy whose Da owned a newsagent type shop. Last name was Adair.

I remember catchin a big green UTA bus at Smithfield to go visit my Aunt in Antrim around 1962.
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.