Author Topic: Smithfield  (Read 19015 times)

James James

Re: Smithfield
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2017, 04:59:28 PM »
I'd completely forgotten about that shop until you just mentioned it, but that name does sound familiar,... I used to always want to be allowed to have a look in the window of it when I was taken on shopping trips in the City center. Wasn't it on the exterior side of Smithfield, on the side facing Gresham Street. ?

White dee

« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2017, 08:39:38 PM »
God forgive me Christopher for daring to challenge you but...(I'm trembling here)wasn't, or was the Joke Shop not called the Magic Box? If I am wrong you can beat my behind ( hope i'm wrong ) :D :-*

I wouldn't worry about Christopher beating your behind ( at least I hope not ) He passed away years ago  :) R.I.P.
Justice for all the innocent/ unarmed People who were
Gunned down by the British Soldiers,
For no other reason then their religion,were murdered.

James James

« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2017, 12:54:37 PM »
God forgive me Christopher for daring to challenge you but...(I'm trembling here)wasn't, or was the Joke Shop not called the Magic Box? If I am wrong you can beat my behind ( hope i'm wrong ) :D :-*

Yes, you're right, that was the name, and it's described here...

https://issuu.com/glenravel/docs/1-ob2/28

sillymilly

« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2017, 02:01:55 PM »

Yes, you're right, that was the name, and it's described here...

https://issuu.com/glenravel/docs/1-ob2/28
Hey JJ, thank you, I actually got something right...yayyyyyy....  *

sillymilly

« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2017, 02:04:17 PM »

I wouldn't worry about Christopher beating your behind ( at least I hope not ) He passed away years ago  :) R.I.P.
Gosh, really sorry to hear that, so a ghost is running the site...cool...I'm Bi...not into Necrophilia. R.I.P Christoher :-(

James James

« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2017, 03:10:07 PM »
 :) Not really. You're getting two similarly named people confused. The way to see who someone is, and when they last posted, is to click on their forum name at the side of their posts.

This is the person who made the post that you were referring to...

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=63

This is the forum administrator/owner...

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=1

sillymilly

« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2017, 05:54:20 PM »
You're a darlin of a man JJ  :-*

doare.

« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2017, 09:59:30 PM »
we used to buy stinkbombs in the magic box and go across the street to the central picture house then drop them from the balcony on the dossers below.....the central was said you went in at half 2 and left half ate...lol
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

JackM

« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2017, 01:06:55 PM »
we used to buy stinkbombs in the magic box and go across the street to the central picture house then drop them from the balcony on the dossers below.....the central was said you went in at half 2 and left half ate...lol

The original fleapit.  :D
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

sillymilly

« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2017, 02:48:12 PM »

Smithfield was a magical place.My father never missed a Saturday going there.He always came home with second hand books.We still have some of them.His cousin Charlotte had a fruit stall at on end of Smithfield.Such a shame thet it was destroyed.There'll never be a place like it
Charlotte would sell pennyworth of damaged fruit to the kiddies going to the pictures, wasn't damaged at all, she was just a very kind hearted lady  :)

White dee

« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2017, 11:22:55 PM »
Gosh, really sorry to hear that, so a ghost is running the site...cool...I'm Bi...not into Necrophilia. R.I.P Christoher :-(

Hi silly I see James James pointed out your error, also like to point out,posters profiles are not shortened ie Christopher won't show up as Chris or visa versa  :-*
Justice for all the innocent/ unarmed People who were
Gunned down by the British Soldiers,
For no other reason then their religion,were murdered.

Gill cronin

« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2017, 11:56:54 PM »

Hi.my granny was nellie cronin.never did meet her but sounds interesting woman.my father was patrick Cronin.his sister was nellie mccauly.im trying to find information about my Irish family.i live in uk.apart from when nellie came to my sister's wedding I never got to meet any of my Irish family.my father was born in francis street.

sillymilly

« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2017, 05:36:46 PM »

Hi silly I see James James pointed out your error, also like to point out,posters profiles are not shortened ie Christopher won't show up as Chris or visa versa  :-*
Hi WD if you're 40 that would be cool, JJ is my man, my lover, he's fab, you could join in if you like?   *

Caz2607

« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2019, 12:32:20 AM »
Hi maggiemay john harmon was my grandad

Hi Shamrock
John Harmons mother was Maggie,her maiden name was Johnston.
She's dead a long time now.Maybe it was one of his sisters that your sister went about with.He had a sister called Margaret who died leaving three children who her sister Kate raised.
Yes Nellie was an alcoholic.She was married three times.First time was to my fathers uncle Sammy,who was killed in the first war.The second time to a man called Rice who died.Then she met a black man who said he would marry her and her three daughters would never want for anything,but she had to give up the drink.They got married and 6 weekslater Poor Nellie was on the drink,so the 3rd husband left and was never heard of againMy fathers name was Jimmy McGivern.Jim Conlon was my fathers cousin.He had a stall in Smithfield and later he had a furniture shop in Upper Donegall Street.
Just thinking even though Nellie was married three times she was still called Nellie Cronin
Maggiemay

Billy Fish

« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2019, 11:55:35 AM »
I remember buyin motor bike gear at a shop called Andrews in 1969.

Went to school with a boy whose Da owned a newsagent type shop. Last name was Adair.

I remember catchin a big green UTA bus at Smithfield to go visit my Aunt in Antrim around 1962.

The Andrews family had several shops / showrooms in Smithfield. They sold cars, motor bikes and cycles. Lovely people they were.
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.