Author Topic: Smithfield  (Read 20357 times)

giannineo

Re: Smithfield
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 11:34:37 PM »
Excellent Shamrock,teach those Welsh how to sing and play Rugby when you are there ;D

greyghost

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 11:38:29 PM »
+++RUGBY+++  No way man, need the All Blacks for that.  :)
Gia-Are you having a lovely day, my little Irish bap...
Dorothy O'Donnell (nee Simmons)
www.odos-photos.com

giannineo

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 12:38:49 AM »
Aye ,I'll give you that GG;The All Blacks are awesome.I treated an All Black once (patient confidentiality prevents me from saying who) wooooo !
       We had a guy at school from N.Z. who ran out on his first day at rugby in his bare feet.The rugby master went crazy until the lad explained that they played barefoot in N.Z.
       And I'm doing fine today my wee Antipodean Duck of Diamonds.Missed work today as I fell up the steps into my hoose last night(cleverly opening the door with my head) and kinda sprained my wrist.O.K. now and back to work tomorrow.
      Howz ya doing yaself  honey child? :-*

Twocoats

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 03:44:14 AM »
Loved going to Smithfield especially when I beakied off school. Coats

shamrockuk

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 12:47:26 PM »
OH THE MEMORIES  ;D

thats a great picture just as we all remember it but I must say when I was smaller walking through there was brilliant with the 3 aisles I think there was.Anyone remember Gerry Mc Cartneys there? he became a good family friend and one of my brothers used to work for him at one time
No man or woman is worth your tears, and the one who is, won't make you cry.

maggiemay

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 01:44:09 PM »
Hi Shamrock
Charlotte was my fathers cousin.Her.  brothers name was Patrick
He was shot through the head in 1922 in Old Lodge area.this was the cause of his blindness,I have a copy of this which Patrick told my Father. He lived well into his seventies.Charlotte was very good to him.My Father as from Francis Street.
Maggiemay
Ps Charlotte and Patrick lived in Tyrone Street

giannineo

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2007, 07:38:15 PM »
Brilliant photo Coats,thanks,it has brought back memories. .notice the lady with wee boy in hand. .Al's mum trying to offload him in Kavanaghs ;D
       Your photo is just as I remembered the old market and a magical place it was too,cheers,G.

shamrockuk

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2007, 10:43:37 PM »
Hi Shamrock
Charlotte was my fathers cousin.Her.  brothers name was Patrick
He was shot through the head in 1922 in Old Lodge area.this was the cause of his blindness,I have a copy of this which Patrick told my Father. He lived well into his seventies.Charlotte was very good to him.My Father as from Francis Street.
Maggiemay
Ps Charlotte and Patrick lived in Tyrone Street

So your father lived in Francis Street?? well he must have known the Downeys!! we lived in a house there that housed 3 families ....the Mc Cafferys,the Knockers, and us at the top....with 2 bedrooms. .and there was 11 of us in our family  ;D

pentio

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2007, 12:30:25 AM »
Twocoats

What a great photo of Smithfield brings back so many memories. .and look at the old cars magic!! thanks for sharing it. :) :)

maggiemay

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 02:16:09 PM »
Hi Shamrock
Yes my father was born in Francis Street.My Grannys four youngest children were born there.I think my father was about 10 or so when they moved.Do you remember Nellie Cronin who lived in Francis St?She was married to my fathers Uncle Sammy who was killed in World War 1.My father had a great affinity for Smithfield
Maggie

shamrockuk

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2007, 04:47:11 PM »

Do you remember Nellie Cronin

Oh my god. .NELLIE CRONIN  :o WHAT A BLAST FROM THE PAST.

shamrockuk

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2007, 05:17:59 PM »
Yeah I remember her...well I remember my mother telling us she had a row with her because she hit my sister ;D.....Oh I wish my mother was still alive she would enjoy hearing about old neighbours and I'm sure she could have told us a few yarns,but sadly she passed away last month at the good old age of 91.Another good neighbour was Minnie Jhonston her husband was a chimney sweep she lived round the corner from Jim Connleys pub where I used to remember going into as a kid and getting a meat pie with a pickle on top  ;D. I went to St Anthony's school in Milfield as did my 7 brothers and 2 of my sisters the eldest sister went to St Marys....did that mean she was posher than the rest of us  ::)

maggiemay

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2007, 06:30:29 PM »
Small world,Shamrock
I didn,t know Minnie Johnston but I do know her son{grandson[
John Harmon,he lives in Short Strand.
Ma father talked a lot about Nellie Cronin.As you know her father was a black man,my father was swarthy.He was walking through Smithfield one day when Nellie was there .She stopped and shouted "Lord Jesus ,one of my fellow countrymen* My father laughed about that for years.
When I was first married and making my Christmas my father asked me to make a bit extra,and away he went down to Nellies with it.I'm told that she cried      Maggiemay

shamrockuk

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2007, 10:57:37 PM »
 lol maggiemay Nellie sounded like a great old lady...the stuff that Smithfield was made off.Maggiemay you have really cheered me up especially when there are days when you get homesick :'( I live in Swansea in Wales not too far away but when you have a family of your own it isn't always easy to get home as much as you want too but I have really looked forward to coming on here and having a natter with you ...thankyou so much

giannineo

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2007, 11:32:56 PM »
That's a belter re Nellie and the shout at your dad Maggiemay....that sort of Belfast humour is hard to beat...ta !