Author Topic: St. Anthony's Primary School / Millfield School  (Read 156477 times)

Millfieldman

St. Anthony's Primary School / Millfield School
« on: May 21, 2008, 01:13:34 AM »
 Is there anyone out there who went to St. Anthony's Primary School Millfield?
Of course there is thousands of us.   I have a lot of the school records going back many many years up until about 1975 and if you are looking for some history of the past pupils let me know.

ourjoe

Re: St. Anthony's Primary School / Millfield School
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 09:19:25 PM »
hi millfieldman
went to millfield 1959 to 1963 Micky & Joe Flanagan i just went into Mr McKenna class when we moved to turf lodge  my brother Micky just moved into the headmasters class we moved to the turf in sep 1963 would loved to know who where in our classes  hope you can help        cheers  ourjoe
i hear you knocking  but you can't come in

ollie

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 10:58:50 PM »
hi my mother went to ST Anthonys and all her brothers, she was Mary Rooney her brothers Micheal, Bernard ,Jim,Patrick in the late 30,s 40,s. also a freiend called rose Laverty do you know any thing about them they were all from Carrickhill
you only live once but if you live right once is enough

St.Anthony

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 12:33:46 PM »
I know the Rooneys and the Flanagans.

I ran around with Bernard Rooney for a few years although when we were kids we fought a lot. (HaHa)
We don't see much of each other now but we occasionally bump into each other.  He sponsored a wee football team in the Cliftonville recently and he was doing a bit for the Childrens Hospice.  He's a good egg.

Ourjoe, When I was a wee nipper I ranabout with you. You lived on Upper Library Street just past Park Street on the left handside.  I think you lived in the fruit shop but might be wrong.  I also ran about with Harry Lagan and Brendy McCann, Peter McKiernan..

ourjoe

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 02:07:32 PM »
yes i lived in my Granada's fruit shop just pass park street at no: 44 upper library street    I know the faces BUT the names escapes me my aunt sally Kearney nee Flanagan at number 22 and my aunt Queenie Kearney nee Flanagan up in carrick hill place  god that bring back memories  ( ourjoe )
i hear you knocking  but you can't come in

St.Anthony

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 07:12:21 PM »
Ollie, Mary Rooney was struck off the register at St. Anthony's 22/3/66 and went to St. Bernadette's. I'm sure you know her birthday occurs next month.
Some of her classmates were Collette Donnan she also went to St. Bernadette's on 8/6/66, Kathleen Mallon, Eilis Geoghan, Lily Bennett Margaret monaghan Rosaleen Quinn.

Patrick Rooney was in P3 in 1963. Classmates were, the Savage twins from Wilson Street, Kevin and Peter,Paddy McKinney,Willie Curran, Geordie Meighan, Patsy Kearns.

St.Anthony

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 07:30:57 PM »
Ourjoe, I believe we used to call you Joey.  Your Michael last went to St. Anthony's on 5th Sept. 1963 and was struck off register 11th.  He had been absent the previous 4 school days.  ( I hope he sent a note in to Mr. Smith who was headmaster and taught Micky and Barney Black, Emmanuel Maxwell, Peter Mc Kiernan, He left on the 2nd Sept.  Then there was Pat Quinn from the Bull Ring/Coates Street Micky Kelly and Gerard Matthews to name a few.

St.Anthony

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 07:43:05 PM »
OurJoe, You missed the same 4 days as Mickey.  You were in primary 5 at the time. Some of your class mates were Gerard Boomer Vernon who lived in Library Street across from your hour house, Patrick Savage, Harry Skillen, John Burns, he went for trials with Glasgow Celtic.  John Finn Francis Torbitt, Gerard conway(Timer) he lives in Turf Lodge near 30 years now. Looking at the ages of the pupils The oldest was Gabriel Cosgrove at 10yrs 8mth. and I was the youngest at 7yrs 11 mth.  There were many kids at St A's  from Smithfield and Carrickhill. many of whom moved to turf and the Murph and Victoria Barracks.

ollie

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 10:12:20 PM »
hi just to reply to you that went about with Bernard Rooney that might not be the same Bernard is dead about 4 years or more but we are related to the Flanigans from carrick hill .My mum and her brothers lived in Nanover street. the burns and the Irvins and shiels are all cousins so is that rings a bell.My grannys name was Malachie Rooney nee Flanigan . when carrick hill was knocked down then unity flats were built they all lived there  :D

ollie

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 11:04:29 PM »
just to reply to newbie that my mum Mary Rooney would have been gone out of the school in the late 40,s she was married in 1963. so that would not be her. They call came from Carrickhill Hanover street.

St.Anthony

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 09:55:24 AM »
Ollie, sorry about that, same family different generation.  The Bernard and Patrick I reffered to would be the grandsons of Joe who lived in the Chocolate Blocks ( flats that were dark brown) there were two blocks.  I believe the address was 51E Unity Walk.  Next door 51F, neighbours would have been Gerry and Dolly Loughlin.  The 2 flats opposite in the early days were 2 families called Walker and Young.  After the troubles started they moved out. They were 2 families of the Protestant faith. Unity Flats was a mixed area then with the majority being Catholic which is going off track.  I'm just highlighting the neighbours of the Rooneys.  Jim and Paddy were sons of Joe. Jim still lives in Carrickhill.  Plays darts and is a window cleaner.  Bernard and Patrick parents moved to Ligoniel.  Their father was Paddy and I think their mother was also Mary/Marie, I'm not sure.  They have both passed away.

I'll go back to my archives and dig out the details you are looking for.

St.Anthony

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 04:06:52 PM »
Ourjoe, I got the roll for 1946-48 There is Emma Kearney 22 Carrickhill Court and Alice an Marion Kearney 22 Upper Library Street.

St.Anthony

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 04:21:13 PM »
Ollie, Just found what you are looking for.

1942 Standard 2 (p2) Mary Rooney 81 Hanover Street.  She was No. 157 on the register.  Born December 1932. Some of her classmates were Dolly McCusker(Loughlin) ironic, next door neighbour to Rooneys in Unity Flats.
Maureen English,Renee Gillan, Doris Drummond, Francis O'hara, Bridgid Kelly and Mary Byrne, all from Carrickhill

teap

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 05:30:23 PM »
St Anthony could you have a wee look and see if you can fund any mullans from Coates street on the reg from around 1935 up to 1969

thankyou

Colette

St.Anthony

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 06:12:38 PM »
Teap, would that be male and female?  the registers from the 60s don't have addresses but I'll go through them for you now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy