Author Topic: Thorndale house  (Read 11285 times)

BJK

Thorndale house
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:46:52 PM »
Does anyone know if Thorndale house still exists. It was (is) located in Duncairn avenue. it may be long gone, it is on my fathers birth certificate as his place of birth, which was 1947. im guessing this was some sort of hospital building. i can give no more information than this. hope someone on the forum can assist.
Thanks
BJK 

ballykeel

Re: Thorndale house
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 12:24:34 PM »
Hi BJK

Just to let you know, I have sent you pm with some details.

Regards
Bkeel
'Love all, trust few, always paddle your own canoe'

BJK

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 03:13:20 PM »
Thanks for that info Ballykeel, taking a drive up that way today, will let you know how i got on.
Cheers
BJK

BJK

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 11:39:25 PM »
Hi Ballykeel,
Managed to get a wee drive up to Thorndale house today. it is still run by the Salvation army, and caters for homeless families, single women etc. i didnt get a good look around, but it looks like the original house has gone. i spoke to the security guard on duty, who had a photo of the original house, which i was able to photograph. also found a couple of web sites of use on the subject. Thanks again for your help.
Bill

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 03:02:53 AM »
Thorndale is a residential Family Centre which can cater for one hundred and twenty five residents in thirty eight units. http://tinyurl.com/6gd5d3  The Salvation Army acquired Thorndale House from the Bruce family in 1920 and opened the house as a Maternity Home. In 1971 a Children's Home started at Thorndale. Thirteen years later a change in policy meant that staff started working with families in a residential setting. In the past eighteen years a number of new buildings have been added. http://tinyurl.com/3mebkz

Zan de Man

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 10:59:58 PM »
My father's mother was in the Salvation Army.  Her friend, one Tilly Monteith, was in charge of Thorndale in the 50s and 60s, when I was small.  At that time, it was a home for unmarried mothers or, as I've no doubt they called them in those more strait-laced times, fallen women.

My Aunt Tilly was very nice to me when I was small.  I'd like to hope that she was equally humane to the poor girls who found themselves in her charge.

chanel5

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 03:00:18 PM »
I was a resident at Thorndale House in 1970. My baby was born in October of that year. At that time, the home was run by Brigadier Harlowe. The only other person that I can remember was Captain Tett, who was a midwife in the home. Ghastly place. Ghastly people.

tiffany

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 12:08:55 PM »
Hello I had a baby at Thorndale house.1975.My baby was taken away and i was never allowed to see him.They told me he had died.He was born 19th may 1975 and died 24th may 1975.Does anyone know and one that worked in Thorndale at that time.Anything would help.There was a doctor that used to see the girls there.Does anyone know his name?I never got over the death of my son because i never got to see him.Any information would be helpful.I.e.Name of social workers that looked after the girls in the home for unmarried mothers.Salvation Amy works that ran the home.
Patricia Rowan.

maura

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 02:09:37 PM »
Hello I had a baby at Thorndale house.1975.My baby was taken away and i was never allowed to see him.They told me he had died.He was born 19th may 1975 and died 24th may 1975.Does anyone know and one that worked in Thorndale at that time.Anything would help.There was a doctor that used to see the girls there.Does anyone know his name?I never got over the death of my son because i never got to see him.Any information would be helpful.I.e.Name of social workers that looked after the girls in the home for unmarried mothers.Salvation Amy works that ran the home.
Patricia Rowan.

I've sent you a pm

tiffany

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 06:39:21 PM »
Yes that is my son buried in Belfast.I named him Malcom.He only lived for 5 days they never let me see him.So i never had closer.My daughter is having a baby next year and that has brought it all back to me.I am trying to find out who stopped me seeing my son.Thorndale say they have no record of me.I have been in touch with social services they can't find any records.

tboy

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 08:16:23 PM »
I was a resident at Thorndale House in 1970. My baby was born in October of that year. At that time, the home was run by Brigadier Harlowe. The only other person that I can remember was Captain Tett, who was a midwife in the home. Ghastly place. Ghastly people.
not so much ghastly as 'institutionalised' and believing all that was drummed into them ;) the ould farts running the place that is. No different from nuns but they don't recognise thePope :D

jkr

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 08:23:43 PM »
HI I was born in Thorndale House in 1968 and I am really keen to get more information on any residents at that time. Has anyone got a photograph of the old building.? Please please help me

headboatman

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 11:18:40 AM »
Is it not in the hands of the Salvation Army?.

JEDPAT

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 05:53:06 PM »
I was born in Thorndale House in February 1945, and recently the social worker helping me discover more about my birth mother has been told that all records for that period had been moved to a site in England, and unfortunately there had been a fire which destroyed almost all those removed files. I don't know whether to believe this. Any one know of any similar story for this time?
I believe the midwife was Ada Hibbard??

frances1728violet 1

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 09:17:05 PM »
 I was born in Thorndale house 1949,when it was closing down my friend and I went to an open aft,noon in it.I was able to get details of my birth.They were very helpful.I heard they had a new building.... :P