Author Topic: North of Ireland Family History Society  (Read 3014 times)

RMMcKeag

North of Ireland Family History Society
« on: August 29, 2006, 12:34:10 PM »
For those who haven't heard about it, the North of Ireland Family History Society [NIFHS] has been active for more than 25 years and currently has 11 branches:
Ballymena, Belfast, Coleraine, Killyleagh, Larne, Lisburn, Mourne, Newtownabbey, N. Down & Ards, Omagh and Portadown.  Each branch meets once a month and welcomes new members.  For more information see www.nifhs.org.  If you would like help in setting up a new branch elsewhere in Ulster, contact the Society.

The Belfast Branch meets on the first Thursday of each month at 7:30 in the Holywood Arches Library; the new season starts on September 7th and you are welcome to attend; either just turn up or 'phone the Branch Chairman first on 028 9066 6383 for more information.  The September meeting is particularly suitable for newcomers to family history.  The programme for the 2006-2007 year is as follows:
Sep 7  Researching Your Family History - Alan Hyndman, Anne Johnston & Brian Watson
Oct 5  Pre-1800 Ulster Records - William Roulston
Nov 2  Preserving and Restoring Old Photographs and Documents - Harry Hunter
Dec 7  Christmas Party, with A Genealogical Story - Cyndy Cotton
Jan 4  Scottish Records - Alistair MacKerracher
Feb 1  Pre-1600 Ulster Records - Katharine Simms
Mar 1  Researching Down Ancestors - Duncan Scarlett
Apr 5  A.G.M. and Presbyterian Records - Alan McMillan
May 3  Ulster and the Great War - Paul Clark
Jun 16 Summer Outing

Christopher

Re: North of Ireland Family History Society
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 10:24:28 PM »
Many thanks for posting details about the North of Ireland Family History Society RMMcKeag. I see several of the 11 branches have their own websites. They are well worth a look. I enjoyed looking at the pictures on the site of the Portadown branch of the NIFHS. However, having said that those websites are worth a look I could not find a link back to Belfast Forum. You'll note the Forum has created links to not only the NIFHS but also the branches with websites so how about reciprocating please. Coleraine, Lisburn, North Down & Ards,  Omagh and Portadown.

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 04:53:41 PM »
The NIFHS Coleraine Branch has just produced a CD of the birth, death and marriage notices published
by the Londonderry Sentinel for the years 1829-69. The CD contains 36,000 entries and costs £15.50. 

Belfast Dave

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 06:18:06 PM »
Many thanks for posting details about the North of Ireland Family History Society RMMcKeag. I see several of the 11 branches have their own websites. They are well worth a look. I enjoyed looking at the pictures on the site of the Portadown branch of the NIFHS. However, having said that those websites are worth a look I could not find a link back to Belfast Forum. You'll note the Forum has created links to not only the NIFHS but also the branches with websites so how about reciprocating please. Coleraine, Lisburn, North Down & Ards, Omagh and Portadown.
Christopher, where are the links to the branches, other than in this post?
The Coleraine branch has also produced cds and books on the early, pre-civil registration, BDMs in the Coleraine Chronicle and the Ballymoney Herald.
Belfast Dave
Family Names: Wright, Bowden, Dickson, McIlveen, Pollock

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 06:35:28 PM »
Hiya Belfast Dave,

Welcome to the Forum. Here's a bit more information about the Coleraine branch. Details of the other branches of the NIFHS will be added. I'm sure members of the Forum interested in genealogy, like those on RootsChat.com, will be willing to help members of NIFHS if they need any assistance with their searches for their ancestors. There are several local sites like Belfast Forum in Ireland and I find, in most cases, the local people's knowledge of families that lived in the areas covered by those websites tends to add details not provided by sites such as those of the LDS or the UHF.

The Coleraine Branch of the NIFHS are a group of people with a common interest in researching family history. Most of the members of the branch are researching their own family names in the Coleraine area, or in other parts of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. They are interested in exchanging information on these names and hints on researching them with other NIFHS members, however they are not professional genealogists, and do not undertake outside research. Specific requests for help or information sent to the Branch Queries Secretary by members only, will be read out at Branch meetings, and will usually find a sympathetic member to follow it up. 

All the Best, Chris

TBonz

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 02:23:23 AM »
Great link. I had never seen this one before and I'm interested in their publications.

Thanks.

akrobinson

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 07:25:55 PM »
Apologies for taking some to time to set up a link to the Belfast Forum web site from our own North of Ireland Family History web site (nifhs.org) but our own web site is currently undergoing a re-vamp and this all takes time.  A link has now been set up.

To repeat the information already given about us - we have 11 branches (Ballymena, Belfast, Coleraine, Killyleagh, Larne, Lisburn, Mourne, Newtownabbey, N. Down & Ards, Omagh and Portadown).  These Branches have monthly meetings and more details on the Branch programmes, venues for meetings, dates and times can be found on our web site.

We also publish a journal, “North Irish Roots”, twice a year.  Some Branches have also produced Gravestone inscription books and indexes to some newspapers.  We also have an extensive library (in our office at 45 Park Avenue) which is open to Branch and Associate members.  Our library index is on the web site.

Anyone interested in joining the Society can either become a Branch member, and attend Branch meetings, or become an Associate member.  Details and forms are on the web site.

If anyone is interested in setting up a Branch in a new area in the North of Ireland please contact us and we will be happy to help and advise you.

akrobinson

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 01:38:18 AM »
Welcome to the Forum akrobinson.

I looked for the link .. no trouble finding the board under construction .. I was directed to your old links board which showed no link. I got a message the other day from another site telling me a link had been created .. I could not find it so sent a message enquiring about the matter. The guy who told me the link had been created replied that he'd forgotten to upload. Some linking is straightforward and others have little teething problems.

All the Best,

Christopher 

Boutya

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 09:22:37 PM »
Hi Christopher,

The links are now in place on the NIFHS site, there is a link on the front page under Other News and a link on the 'new' Links page. The link will disappear from the front page in time but the link on the Links page will remain.

I had visited the forum before and enjoyed the looking through the threads, I spent the years 1969-1975 in Belfast.

Good luck with the site.

Boutya, NIFHS Webmaster

Belfast Dave

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 07:50:57 AM »
The Coleraine branch of the NIFHS has a new website at www.coleraine-fhs.org.uk and it links back to the Belfast Forum!

Belfast Dave, webmaster of the Coleraine branch site
Family Names: Wright, Bowden, Dickson, McIlveen, Pollock

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy