Author Topic: Anyone From Ardoyne  (Read 381657 times)

arder lavery

Re: Anyone From Ardoyne
« Reply #2145 on: June 18, 2017, 09:20:32 AM »
when i mention old friends names, its because we all knew each other long before any troubles started.
you must remember that i have been in australia since 1968' and before that i was away in the merchant navy and had jobs around england as well, so no hurt intended to anyone.

HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

Astor

« Reply #2146 on: June 18, 2017, 10:54:43 PM »
Just posting to let those of you who knew chi, who was from Ardoyne and a regular poster on the forum, passed away in early June R I P. There are a couple of threads on the General Discussions Board with some lovelytributes to her, if anyone would like to see them  :)
Que Sera Sera

Dot/dash

« Reply #2147 on: June 19, 2017, 08:54:46 AM »
when i mention old friends names, its because we all knew each other long before any troubles started.
you must remember that i have been in australia since 1968' and before that i was away in the merchant navy and had jobs around england as well, so no hurt intended to anyone.

I've taken your points  on board         thanks for your reply arder     .     :)
love me          love my gelding     

White dee

« Reply #2148 on: June 19, 2017, 11:48:56 AM »
Just posting to let those of you who knew chi, who was from Ardoyne and a regular poster on the forum, passed away in early June R I P. There are a couple of threads on the General Discussions Board with some lovelytributes to her, if anyone would like to see them  :)

Thanks for posting this very sad news about chi,She never forgot where she came from,
and often expressed her love for Ardoyne and the People who still live there R.I.P chi.
Justice for all the innocent/ unarmed People who were
Gunned down by the British Soldiers,
For no other reason then their religion,were murdered.

Pat McGovern

« Reply #2149 on: June 21, 2017, 07:32:35 PM »
Sorry to hear the sad news about Chi.  May she rest in peace.

Pat McGovern

« Reply #2150 on: June 22, 2017, 06:55:45 PM »
Hi Astor
I'd like to read about Chi.  Where in the general discussion can I find it?  Did you know what her name was? 

White dee

« Reply #2151 on: June 22, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »
Hi Astor
I'd like to read about Chi.  Where in the general discussion can I find it?  Did you know what her name was?

Here's a copy from the other thread Pat,

This is a copy of a post I put up on the " inspiration thread " It is with great sadness and Heartache I have to announce the passing of chi She ( Bridget ) passed away in early June,I feel it only befitting to announce the sad news on this thread seeing She was the original poster,She had great passion for this thread and will dearly be missed,may She rest in peace.I have posted this part of her obituary,keeping her real identity private,Bridget was 74 years old, Born in Ardonye Belfast,She graduated  from Cambridge USA,with a Masters in ---Education. As an early childhood educator, she taught in the Cambridge Public School System at the Open School Program in the Martin Luther King Jr. School. Throughout her years as a teacher, she took great interest in her students and instilled in them a passion for learning and adventure. Her kindness and her sincere caring nature, endeared her to all her students. Bridget was passionate about whatever she pursued and was a lifelong learner. She was a Reiki Master, ordained Minister, loved creative writing, yoga, painting was a member of a knitting group, as well as a member of the WomenExplore Group of Cambridge and she was also very active in preserving open and green space in Cambridge. Her passions were deep rooted in her love of life. There was no greater gift than sharing her passions with her family, friends and her community. Never a driver - she biked, walked and took public transportation which kept her active and vibrant - she was always ready for new adventures. Her positive outlook on life was an inspiration to all who knew and loved her. Bridget has blessed her family with the many wonderful gifts from her life, treasures they will hold close to their hearts forever. She will be greatly missed.
Justice for all the innocent/ unarmed People who were
Gunned down by the British Soldiers,
For no other reason then their religion,were murdered.

Pat McGovern

« Reply #2152 on: June 22, 2017, 08:56:24 PM »
White dee
Thanks for posting the beautiful tribute to Chi.  She was indeed an exceptional person.

Morris5

« Reply #2153 on: July 18, 2017, 12:27:42 PM »
hi. just found this site!I am  from ladbroook drive, my father was itallian, had many friends in ardoyne remember ladbrook drive as a very friendly street, good  friends,& neighbours, Fr timothy was our parish priest, pauline dempsy taught us irish dancing, Charllie delaney had the  badminton club in toby's hall, in butler,  street, remember wearing my whites to play with invited clubs, and grew up with respect for my elders!. No.computer games then, Bliss.  

Hi, I'm from Ladbrook Drive too. I didn't go to Irish dancing but my best friend at the time did, Terri Watts. Her parents were Paddy and Rita Watts. She lived at No 10, I lived at No 72

m-cully

« Reply #2154 on: July 19, 2017, 03:35:52 AM »
Hi Morris5. My relatives, the Keenan family, lived in number 70. Do you remember them?

Morris5

« Reply #2155 on: July 19, 2017, 04:02:35 AM »
Hi Morris5. My relatives, the Keenan family, lived in number 70. Do you remember them?

Oh goodness yes! Hugh and Nellie, Hugh junior, Brian and Roisin. My mum was Eileen Morris and was great friends with Hugh and Nellie.
Nellie would babysit me when my parents went out (mainly up to the bingo in Ardoyne hall). How are you related to them.

Morris5

« Reply #2156 on: July 19, 2017, 04:18:19 AM »

I forgot Des!

m-cully

« Reply #2157 on: July 19, 2017, 05:20:38 AM »
Hugh Keenan and my mother were brother and sister. They grew up on the Short Strand. My family lived at 82 Duneden Park. I now live in the US, but keep in touch with the cousins, and visit any time I am back home.
The name Morris does ring a bell. When did your family leave Ladbrook, and where are you now?

Morris5

« Reply #2158 on: July 19, 2017, 06:22:10 AM »
Hugh Keenan and my mother were brother and sister. They grew up on the Short Strand. My family lived at 82 Duneden Park. I now live in the US, but keep in touch with the cousins, and visit any time I am back home.
The name Morris does ring a bell. When did your family leave Ladbrook, and where are you now?

Hugh was a lovely man, my mother went in and took care of him when he was very sick. I'm sure your cousins will remember us well. I remember a baby called Bronagh as well, not sure who she belonged to. We left in 1971, my name is Christine Morris and I now live in New Zealand. My uncle lived in Duneden Park, just down the entry from us, his name was Dennis (Dinny) O'Leary.

m-cully

« Reply #2159 on: July 19, 2017, 04:39:38 PM »
Hi Christine.
Yes uncle Hugh and aunt Nellie were very good people. When our parents died young, in 1958 and 1960, and we were only teenagers, the Keenans looked out for us and helped us as needed. I left Belfast in 1963 and my sister followed in 1965, so I was not there when uncle Hugh died. Do you remember when my husband and I, with our two young children, stayed with aunt Nellie in the summer of 1970? We were there for a few weeks and my husband planted a lovely rose bush in the garden, which bloomed for years I was told.
Of course I remember your uncle Dinny. He used to play the (mandolin or banjo????????) can't quite remember but he was good at whatever. I often went to the shops for Mrs. O Leary. I remember getting pilchards for her. Funny the things you remember.
Do you remember the Burns family, a few doors up the street from you. The girls there went to school with me at the Convent of Mercy, as did Carmel Murphy, who lived at the top of the street.
Happy to share memories with you. Margaret.