Author Topic: Anyone From Ardoyne  (Read 381659 times)

arder lavery

Re: Anyone From Ardoyne
« Reply #1320 on: May 19, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »
Hi. Arder. great to hear from you. Haha. just seen your comment, you were always a charmer. Yes I remember you leaving in 68. Have you ever been home, have you any family still here. Do you remember Maureen Mc Ilveen from Eskdale, her and I are still friends. sent that as a pm as im a lnewbie and still getting used to this, lol.
when i mentioned you on here before, i also mentioned your friend with the straight blonde hair and she seemed very quiet, is that the one ?
now live in the gold coast and have 3 grown children and 4 grandchildren.
our anne lives down around the ormeau rd and our eileen lives in allianze ave.
i have been home three times and always made my way back to ardoyne, sadly a lot of my friends have now left us.
maureen, it might sound silly, but i honestly still live in ardoyne mentally, i check on the net every day to see how things are going.
welcome to the forum and enjoy it.
if you want to pick up on some old stories, just type in ardoyne in the search bar at the top, or maybe, just search for my name and you'll find heaps.
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

Jimbob48

« Reply #1321 on: May 20, 2013, 09:14:30 PM »
the courtneys lived out our back door, we lived in 74 strathroy pk. i went to school with, i thinlk it was brendan. remember him well.
I grew up across the street from the Courtney's .they lived between the Crillys and McDaids. Iremember Walter, Rhona, Brendan , Martin and Lily.  I think there was another girl around Rhona's age but I can't recall her name. Brendan and Martin were playmates of mine. I had not seen them for years but I called into a now defunct timber yard across the road from Twinbrook about 20 years ago to get some wood for a wee bit of DIY and there was Martin. I think the yard moved down Dunmuurry Lane just above the railway bridge. We had many a laugh when we were kids.

Jimbob48

« Reply #1322 on: May 20, 2013, 09:33:32 PM »
I also remember Mickey Brennan who ran the Ardoyne pre sodium of the Legion of Mary. His mother was a great pastry cook .   A great bloke.  RIP
Is that Mickey Brennan from Ladbrook Drive?  He had a lot to do with St. Gabriel's Y.C. He played the the part of  a love struck farmer in " The time for Livin is Today." He Scared the beejeepers out of the audiences when he fired a double barrelled shotgun at the close of one of the musical's Acts.
They were blanks of course. Jim McCann (RIP )was the producer. He was headmaster in Crumlin village. Betty Quinn from Lisburn wrote the script and music. I played " Elmer Fielding " an American film producer and learned how to keep a big cigar lit without burning too much...Ha! Ha!
Mickey could fairly handle an Ahoghill accent.  Good days or should I say great days. I wonder has Arderlavery figured who I am yet. .???

Jimbob48

« Reply #1323 on: May 20, 2013, 09:45:25 PM »
hi arder, i remember frankies brother was married to a girl wno also worked in the weaving at ewarts on the crumlin road.i worked there for 8 years before moving on to standerd telephones and cables at monkstown.i wonder if there are others on the forum who worked in ewarts the same time as me. margaret.
If you are talking about the Woods family from Northwick Drive, there was three sons,  Brian, Frankie and Anthony... I lived next door... Another clue for Arderlavery???? Their mother's name was Sarah and she worked in " The Proper Food products" cannery up the mucky slope from Jamaica Street to the Oldpark Rd. one of the grandkids is a dental receptionist on the Antrim road.

maureenteer

« Reply #1324 on: May 20, 2013, 10:54:15 PM »
Maureen, I do remember Brendan Mc Keown but not well. Our Geraldine was just telling me that her husband used to hang about with Vince Mc Keown, I don't remember him. I forgot to say please tell Maureen I am so sorry to hear about Brendan, he was younger than me, about our Moira's age. Tony Marks sent me a message to tell me about Brendan's death. Enjoy your day out with your family.I hope the sun continues to shine, it is a wet weekend here. :)

I told Maureen and she said thanks. I see Tony Marks brother Bobby all the time I was sorry to hear that their sister Chrissy had died. Eileen I think it was you who was asking about the triplets from Strathroy. Agnes died some time ago. Mary married my cousin and still lives in Ardoyne we visit each other every week and she's in touch with the other brother. Sun only lasted one day back to dull weather again.  :)

Tipperdarby

« Reply #1325 on: May 20, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »

I told Maureen and she said thanks. I see Tony Marks brother Bobby all the time I was sorry to hear that their sister Chrissy had died. Eileen I think it was you who was asking about the triplets from Strathroy. Agnes died some time ago. Mary married my cousin and still lives in Ardoyne we visit each other every week and she's in touch with the other brother. Sun only lasted one day back to dull weather again.  :)
Thanks Maureen, I was wondering if I made it up about the triplets!! lol. That is very sad about Agnes. Our Geraldine was saying that she worked with one of the girls in Lipton's when she was still at school. She couldn't remember which one but now that I have names I bet she will remember. She and Moira have phenomenal memories. She even remembers you and she is 4 years younger than me!  I am useless but I must say the Belfast Forum has awakened many memories that I thought were gone for ever. That's what I love about this site, somebody mentions a place or a person  and that gets the old grey cells going. Arder remembers everything, I can't believe his memory.
One of the things I do remember is the "Daddy Christmas" face in the window of McIlveen's upstairs window. People didn't have things like that back in the day and it was so exciting when it went up because we knew Christmas was coming soon. They also had a beautiful Christmas tree! I think Maureen had a sister in America?? She used to get lovely clothes sent over.
So Maureen, where do you and Maureen live?
Nice to be in touch.
Eileen

maureenteer

« Reply #1326 on: May 21, 2013, 10:35:15 AM »
when i mentioned you on here before, i also mentioned your friend with the straight blonde hair and she seemed very quiet, is that the one ?
now live in the gold coast and have 3 grown children and 4 grandchildren.
our anne lives down around the ormeau rd and our eileen lives in allianze ave.
i have been home three times and always made my way back to ardoyne, sadly a lot of my friends have now left us.
maureen, it might sound silly, but i honestly still live in ardoyne mentally, i check on the net every day to see how things are going.
welcome to the forum and enjoy it.
if you want to pick up on some old stories, just type in ardoyne in the search bar at the top, or maybe, just search for my name and you'll find heaps.

Hi Arder, some great photos, nice one of you with your sisters, it would have been nice to have to have meet up when you were home. Im sure you saw a big change in Ardoyne, but home is where the heart is, and your heart  seems to be in Ardoyne. your memory is unbelieveable, cant believe i cant remember Eileen, but i know most of the people mentioned on here. When are you due home again? Going into town here with my sis in-law Eileen Boyle she married my younger brother John, do you remember him? Anyway rushing out here so ill speak again soon.

arder lavery

« Reply #1327 on: May 21, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
Is that Mickey Brennan from Ladbrook Drive?  He had a lot to do with St. Gabriel's Y.C. He played the the part of  a love struck farmer in " The time for Livin is Today." He Scared the beejeepers out of the audiences when he fired a double barrelled shotgun at the close of one of the musical's Acts.
They were blanks of course. Jim McCann (RIP )was the producer. He was headmaster in Crumlin village. Betty Quinn from Lisburn wrote the script and music. I played " Elmer Fielding " an American film producer and learned how to keep a big cigar lit without burning too much...Ha! Ha!
Mickey could fairly handle an Ahoghill accent.  Good days or should I say great days. I wonder has Arderlavery figured who I am yet. . ???
no, only because you must have changed your accent

arder lavery

« Reply #1328 on: May 21, 2013, 11:22:32 AM »

Hi Arder, some great photos, nice one of you with your sisters, it would have been nice to have to have meet up when you were home. Im sure you saw a big change in Ardoyne, but home is where the heart is, and your heart  seems to be in Ardoyne. your memory is unbelieveable, cant believe i cant remember Eileen, but i know most of the people mentioned on here. When are you due home again? Going into town here with my sis in-law Eileen Boyle she married my younger brother John, do you remember him? Anyway rushing out here so ill speak again soon.
i only remember your older brothers, im sure it was michael but cant remember the older ones name. was'nt your michael a really great runner and did'nt he go overseas to australia or canada or somewhere for a while.

maureenteer

« Reply #1329 on: May 21, 2013, 12:54:33 PM »
Thanks Maureen, I was wondering if I made it up about the triplets!! lol. That is very sad about Agnes. Our Geraldine was saying that she worked with one of the girls in Lipton's when she was still at school. She couldn't remember which one but now that I have names I bet she will remember. She and Moira have phenomenal memories. She even remembers you and she is 4 years younger than me!  I am useless but I must say the Belfast Forum has awakened many memories that I thought were gone for ever. That's what I love about this site, somebody mentions a place or a person  and that gets the old grey cells going. Arder remembers everything, I can't believe his memory.
One of the things I do remember is the "Daddy Christmas" face in the window of McIlveen's upstairs window. People didn't have things like that back in the day and it was so exciting when it went up because we knew Christmas was coming soon. They also had a beautiful Christmas tree! I think Maureen had a sister in America?? She used to get lovely clothes sent over.
So Maureen, where do you and Maureen live?
Nice to be in touch.
Eileen

You also have a good memory, it's fascinating reading about old times. All of us kids loved seeing that Santa face in McIlveen's window, we would stand outside the house for ages mesmerised by it. Maureen's older sister Juliet is still in America, Maureen has been over lots of times. The two of us still live in Ardoyne, we married blokes from old Ardoyne. She married one of the Dohertys but they are not together. I married Tommy Donnelly from Butler Street, we also weren't together. Unfortunately he died about three years ago. Eileen do you remember Frances Holden.I was very good friends with her as well.She lived down the street from Maureen, beside the Maloneys and the Glennons and what about old Mr. and Mrs. Mc.Guire. they lived above Maureen, they didn't have any children, so they brought all us children in. They gave us sweets and chocolate and we would sign and dance for them.
Its been great to hear from you also, I think this sites great as its great to be in touch with a people from the past and hear how life has been for them.
look forward to hearing back from you Eileen, hope you had a good weekend.  ;)
[size=78%] [/size]

maureenteer

« Reply #1330 on: May 21, 2013, 12:58:06 PM »
im sure Arder and the rest of the guy's on here have heard St Gabriels has been completely demolished, nothing but sand and gravel now. :(

breenbox

« Reply #1331 on: May 22, 2013, 09:03:43 PM »
im sure Arder and the rest of the guy's on here have heard St Gabriels has been completely demolished, nothing but sand and gravel now. :(

Just heard that James 'Battler'  Boyd died recently .. taught maths in St Gabe's in the 1960's, anyone remember him ?
You'll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

Jimbob48

« Reply #1332 on: May 22, 2013, 10:03:22 PM »

Just heard that James 'Battler'  Boyd died recently .. taught maths in St Gabe's in the 1960's, anyone remember him ?
He was my Maths teacher in St. Gabes when I was there for a year. He was a big hefty guy who wore glasses and had a high pitched voice. His wife was a contralto in Holy Cross Choir and his son Gavin was an alto. Gavin is now high up in one of the education bodies. Other teachers I recall were:-
Mr. O'Neill , Woodwork;  Mr McKenna , Science;  Mr. McGuinness , Music ; his namesake was the Head; Mr. McLaughlin , Metalwork; Mr. Rams den , P.E. ; Mr. Kearns , English ; Mr. Thornton , French.
That is all I can remember  at the moment.

Tipperdarby

« Reply #1333 on: May 22, 2013, 11:09:59 PM »

I remember that family. They lived on the front of the Crumlin Road I think. He was a big man. His wife had the most amazing voice, she used to sing "Oh Holy Night" at Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve.

Jimbob48

« Reply #1334 on: May 23, 2013, 12:54:34 PM »
I remember that family. They lived on the front of the Crumlin Road I think. He was a big man. His wife had the most amazing voice, she used to sing "Oh Holy Night" at Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve.
I am afraid you got that one wrong about " O Holy Night".  The soloist for that , for many years, was
Theresa Largey. Her husband Sean was a tenor in the choir and musical director of " The New Musical Society" based in St. Gabe's for about two years. They both sang at our wedding on the twelfth of May 1970.  I first heard that hymn through our hall wall, with a tumbler at my ear. The neighbours had an LP of Perry Como with all the Christmas stuff and played it reasonably loud and I used to sit on the stairs and listen. An odd way of listening to Perry!!!