Author Topic: Anyone From Ardoyne  (Read 381658 times)

ritamccartney

Re: Anyone From Ardoyne
« Reply #1785 on: November 09, 2014, 01:41:28 AM »
Hi Pat, Yes we did get have a great get together with Agnes and Margaret McCormick, Mavis and Lillian McGinn and Maureen Loughrin. It was a Wonderful Surprise to see the twins and Maureen as we didn't know that they would be there, we had just arranged to meet Agnes and Margaret. Agnes had called them. Everyone looking good and we all had a wonderful evening. It was very special after all this time. Visited a few pubs of course including Whites Tavern. After Jean had gone back to Canada I was able to meet up again with Agnes and Margaret and John McCormick, he was visiting from England for a few days. I hadn't seen John since the late sixties, we played together as kids. It was all very memorable.

ritamccartney

« Reply #1786 on: November 09, 2014, 02:26:23 AM »
Hi Eileen, Thought that your comment about the Pensions was funny, Anne will tell you that we have had very many pension conversations. Brenda McTeague  was from Duneden Park and now lives on Mountainview. Jean went to see her when she was home. It was very sad about Chrissie Marks, I think she was only 63. Did you know that Bobbie Marks also died last December? I don't know if you remember him as he was a bit older than you. Do you remember the McKeowns who lived on Eskdale Gardens ? I think that they lived at the top of the street, maybe the first house. I am trying to find out if anyone knows anything about Brendan mcKeown. I have a friend who knows him from way back, and would love to know anything about him.  Anyway Eileen hope that you are enjoying lots of sunshine.

thedociam

« Reply #1787 on: November 09, 2014, 04:58:48 AM »
Hi,
If your sister Moira worked in the Medical Biology Centre in 1969/70, ask her if she remembers a culchie med student from Omagh?
Barry

Tipperdarby

« Reply #1788 on: November 09, 2014, 05:53:19 AM »
Hi,
If your sister Moira worked in the Medical Biology Centre in 1969/70, ask her if she remembers a culchie med student from Omagh?
Of course she remembers you, our whole family would have good memories of you as a young lad. Our lovely Mammy and Daddy died in the past few years. Daddy in Mar 2010 and Mammy in Dec 2011. What a love match that was.
I hope you are well and life has been good to you B.
Eileen ;)

thedociam

« Reply #1789 on: November 09, 2014, 06:25:53 AM »
They were good times, Eileen. Your parents were exceptionally kind to me! Indeed,your Mom's fries were a godsend! Sorry to hear of their passing! As for me, the devil looks after its own! I graduated in 1974 and married a City nurse, Margaret McMullan who has spent the last 40 years training me up 😊. We are both still working despite a few brushes with the grim reaper 😉 and life ain't too bad. After Moira introduced me to the Cavehill, the place has fascinated me. Hence I've been living in sight of it for 30 + years!! Tell Moira I'm on FB. .I'd love to hear from her! Does she still have the poncho?? Best regards to you, your sisters and your families.
Barry
Barry

Ann51

« Reply #1790 on: November 09, 2014, 02:01:21 PM »
Went to St Dominic's in I think 1963 - 68.  Remember Maureen Tottenham and Alison McCrudden who were a year above me, both from Chatham Street. Christine Hamilton from, I think Herbert Street.  I know Maureen trained as a teacher but lost touch with Christine and Alison.  Alice Stafford, Maura McNally, Ann Gourley, Shelia McGrenagh, Loretta Madden, Mary Beggs, Mary Prenderghast are girls From Holy Cross School.  Paddy and I go back to Ardoyne several times each year but seldom see any familiar faces. It is mainly a catch up with family.  My dad is still going strong, he is 92 now and very independent, although getting frail.   [size=78%]Bumped into Ann and Lucia Skillen some years ago. [/size][size=78%] Their dad was Gabriel Skillen who owned the butcher's shop on the corner of Kerrera Street and Crumlin Road.[/size]
[size=78%]Paddy is from Bromptom Park and he kept in touch with Sean (RIP) and Gerry McIldowney. I noticed on an earlier post, someone had written about Jim Nugent who hired out books in Strathroy.  He was Paddy's  half brother.   Their dad married twice.  Health and happiness to BF users,  Ann[/size]

glenb

« Reply #1791 on: November 09, 2014, 04:39:18 PM »
I knew a herb skillen that left for San francisco, I think he had a brother called Gabe

chi

« Reply #1792 on: November 09, 2014, 06:02:22 PM »
Went to St Dominic's in I think 1963 - 68.  Remember Maureen Tottenham and Alison McCrudden who were a year above me, both from Chatham Street. Christine Hamilton from, I think Herbert Street.  I know Maureen trained as a teacher but lost touch with Christine and Alison.  Alice Stafford, Maura McNally, Ann Gourley, Shelia McGrenagh, Loretta Madden, Mary Beggs, Mary Prenderghast are girls From Holy Cross School.  Paddy and I go back to Ardoyne several times each year but seldom see any familiar faces. It is mainly a catch up with family.  My dad is still going strong, he is 92 now and very independent, although getting frail.   [size=78%]Bumped into Ann and Lucia Skillen some years ago. [/size][size=78%] Their dad was Gabriel Skillen who owned the butcher's shop on the corner of Kerrera Street and Crumlin Road.[/size]
[size=78%]Paddy is from Bromptom Park and he kept in touch with Sean (RIP) and Gerry McIldowney. I noticed on an earlier post, someone had written about Jim Nugent who hired out books in Strathroy.  He was Paddy's  half brother.   Their dad married twice.  Health and happiness to BF users,  Ann[/size]

I remember an Nugent &
Mc Ildowney family that
lived in Brompton PK.
Maura shields went to
St Dominics late fifties :)

“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

Pat McGovern

« Reply #1793 on: November 09, 2014, 06:56:27 PM »
Hi Pat, Yes we did get have a great get together with Agnes and Margaret McCormick, Mavis and Lillian McGinn and Maureen Loughrin. It was a Wonderful Surprise to see the twins and Maureen as we didn't know that they would be there, we had just arranged to meet Agnes and Margaret. Agnes had called them. Everyone looking good and we all had a wonderful evening. It was very special after all this time. Visited a few pubs of course including Whites Tavern. After Jean had gone back to Canada I was able to meet up again with Agnes and Margaret and John McCormick, he was visiting from England for a few days. I hadn't seen John since the late sixties, we played together as kids. It was all very memorable.

Hi Rita
Sounds like a great visit.  I have contact with Agnes McCormick.  Does Maureen Loughran still live in Estoril?  Imagine meeting Mavis & Lilian , the "Twin McGinns" as we called them.  That was great you also met up with John McCormick.  He's making it good as a singer in England.
Tell Jean and also Anne Long when you see her I was asking for her.  Did you by any chance get to meet June?

Tipperdarby

« Reply #1794 on: November 09, 2014, 07:29:44 PM »

Ann, my sister Moira (aka Maura) said you were in her class at Holy Cross and her year at St Dominic's. I was a year ahead of you.  Maureen Totten was my best pal when we were young. I met up with her in 2008 and we had such a good time reminiscing, we hadn't seen each other in 40 years but that didn't matter at all!
I also met Mary Skillen on that visit, she was my neighbour up in Wolfhill.
Kateme who posts on the BF was probably in your class at HC also. She left Belfast for NY when she was 8 but has a phenomenal memory of classmates and teachers. She visited Belfast every summer for years. Her Granny O'Connor lived down at the bottom of Butler Street.
That is great that your Dad is doing well, lovely that he is independent at such a good age.
Cheers
Eileen

Coolskerry

« Reply #1795 on: November 09, 2014, 09:14:14 PM »
Hello, I am from Ardoyne, Kerrera Street in old Ardoyne.   Moved to England in 1972. My husband is from Brompton Park.  Just found this forum and it is good to revive memories    I met up with Rita (MacCartney) when she and her sister visited Belfast a few months ago.  Jean, her sister, is my friend from schooldays. Although we go back regularly, we do not often see many familiar faces.  Wishing everyone good health and happiness.   Ann

Coolskerry

« Reply #1796 on: November 09, 2014, 09:15:09 PM »
Hello, I am from Ardoyne, Kerrera Street in old Ardoyne.   Moved to England in 1972. My husband is from Brompton Park.  Just found this forum and it is good to revive memories    I met up with Rita (MacCartney) when she and her sister visited Belfast a few months ago.  Jean, her sister, is my friend from schooldays. Although we go back regularly, we do not often see many familiar faces.  Wishing everyone good health and happiness.   Ann

Coolskerry

« Reply #1797 on: November 09, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »
Ann this is, I think our 11 plus class nurtured by Miss Hegarty

Alice Stafford   Brookfield St
Teresa Mc Nally .."...
Christine Hamilton   Herbert St
Elizabeth  Fennell  . North wick Dr.
Anne Gourley.  Farringdon Gdns
Carol Morris.  Woodvale Rd
Brenda Mc Teague. Dunedin Pk
Marie Beggs. Jamaica St
Dolores Mc Larnon   Ingedale Pk
Sheila Mc Grenera.   Clifton Pk Ave
Dolores Connolly. Cranbrook Gdns
Winnie Browne. Highfield   Or further West
Helen Meehan Dunedin Pk ?
Ann M. Smyth Kerrera St
Moira O Neill (ME!) Eskdale Gdns!!
Most of us went to St Dominics but Sheila went to Fortwilliam and I think Carol might have gone to Portstewart or maybe even Rathmore

Ann51

« Reply #1798 on: November 10, 2014, 11:36:03 AM »
Hi Moira (Coolskerry),  Christine Bennett from Chief Street was, I think also in the class.  Miss Hegarty certainly did nuture us.  Do you remember the heavy snow fall in the early 60s, the school was closed but she sent around for each 11+ pupil and held the class in her own study at home.  Dedication. She was determined we would all do well and I believe we all did her proud. Although I have often wondered how everyone from the class was doing. Are you in touch with anyone from the 11+ class. Jean McCartney, who went onto Secretarial College, emigrated to Canada. She is much better at keeping in touch than I am andI look always look forward to receiving her Christmas Card and letter? St Dominic's has been rebuilt some years ago.  I missed the open day allowing old pupils to see the new place. Hope all is with and yours, Ann

Ann51

« Reply #1799 on: November 10, 2014, 11:49:35 AM »
Hello glenb and chi,  not sure if there was a Herb in the families I knew. I knew Paul Skillen, he had an older brother and one younger brother and sister Katleen, from Chatham Street. Paul Skillen and Peter
McCullough were mates. Peter, had an older sister, Marie, and lots of younger siblings.  His parents were Lily and Malachy. Really lovely people.  We met Mr Skillen many years ago by the bakery on the Crumlin Road. The McCulloughs moved several times over the years and everyone lost touch.
chi, you might my husband, Patrick Nugent from Brompton Park. he has a brother and sister, Denis and Kathleen. Good health and happiness to you both. Ann