Author Topic: hampton house  (Read 4148 times)

brooke

hampton house
« on: June 14, 2008, 06:21:43 PM »
 :D can any one help me find out about a childrens home in belfast in the early 20s my late grandmother went there she talked about it often i would like to no more of the history of it . thank you

Christopher

Re: hampton house
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 07:10:39 PM »
Hello brooke,

Welcome to the Forum.

Hampton House, which was a Protestant Female Industrial School at  Balmoral, is listed in the 1880 directory of Belfast and the Province of Ulster. The 1901 Census contains 190 Names of Pupils, Teachers & Visitors at Hampton House which was located at Balmoral Avenue. http://tinyurl.com/5emacl

I may be mistaken but think that part of Hampton House stands in the grounds now occupied by the Public Record Office.

Christopher

giannineo

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 07:14:43 PM »
brooke...Hampton House was a school in Balmoral Avenue and listed in the 1911 census...I believe it was residential.....there was an act of 1928 in N.I. mentioning Hampton House and more details are on Wikipedia.....my mother was a child in the twenties and would be threatened with being sent to Hampton House when she was misbehaving.
    There was another Hampton House just off Ormeau Road between Agincourt Avenue and Rugby Avenue on the lhs going towards the town centre. .this house was inhabited by a man named Posy Cobain who was thought to be an eccentric...it was demolished late fifties/early sixties.....my father worked near the Home at Balmoral Avenue and I too was threatened with incarceration there in the late fifties.
      Sorry , this is all the detail I have , but try Wikipedia and 1911 census. O0

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 07:28:27 PM »
Edward Samuel Wesley De Cobain of Hampton House, Ormeau Road, Belfast was born in 1840. His parents were Rev Edward de Cobain, a  Wesleyan Minister, and Harriett Ann Smyth of Smythborough. Co Monaghan www.peterrobinson.org/electionbios.html

giannineo

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 07:47:48 PM »
A grand site re Peter Robinson..thank you Christopher.....the article about Mr. de Cobain implied he may have been naughty.My mother told me of him and Hampton House.I remember it well as I would often play around that way as I had realtives in the Holy Land..

bnf

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:12:28 AM »
A grand site re Peter Robinson..thank you Christopher.....the article about Mr. de Cobain implied he may have been naughty.My mother told me of him and Hampton House.I remember it well as I would often play around that way as I had realtives in the Holy Land..
edward s w de cobai, 1840-1908, ex m.p. he was expelled from the commons
on the 26th february, 1892, for his 'indiscretion'.
bnf
" The Fox knows many things,
    but the Hedgehog knows one big thing. "
    ARCHILOCHUS.

giannineo

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 01:23:29 AM »
bnf, not like an MP  to have indiscretions ;) ;D O0

Shirley Douglas

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 09:10:16 PM »
:D can any one help me find out about a childrens home in belfast in the early 20s my late grandmother went there she talked about it often i would like to no more of the history of it . thank you

Shirley Douglas

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 09:15:33 PM »
My mother worked in Hampton House as a silver service waitress for the Civil Service.  Not sure when but maybe around 1941 as she was born in 1921 .  Would love to know if anyone would have known of her .  Her name was Kathleen O'Neill and she lived in Ligoniel Lodge which is no longer there.  Thanks