Author Topic: Lavinia Street  (Read 27583 times)

Phyllis

Re: Lavinia Street
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2015, 05:32:48 AM »
How lovely it was to see Linda Clellands reply to my posting re Elsie McAneary. Linda we are cousins and our Mums were sisters. What an amazing site. Lovely looking at all the photos of Lavinia St particularly lovely to see all the listings of who lived in what house. My Grandfather was Houston McAneary and lived at number 30.

Phyllis

« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2015, 05:43:15 AM »
Anyone here from Lavinia Street? My Granny lived there for years then moved on to River Terrace. I was born in Belfast but move to the USA in 1966.
Hi Karen my Grandparents Houston & Elizabeth McAneary lived at 30 Lavinia St they had a large family  Joe,Charlie, Elsie, Mamie, Winnie, Norah & Doreen

Phyllis

« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2015, 03:22:49 AM »
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me out here...

My grandfather and great-grandparents (Glennon family) lived in 24 Lavinia St around the turn of the 20th Century, they were still there at the time of the 1911 Census, but the 1918 Belfast street directory lists a Bailie family living at #24.

My dad has vague memories of hearing that his grandparents did a house swap with a family from the Donegall Road and his father / my grandfather moved with them but the names in the 1918 street directory don't tally up.

I'm not expecting anyone here to recall it directly themselves, but maybe they might know it from family history - can anyone throw any light on who lived in 24 Lavinia St between 1911 - 1942 please? Many thanks for any help.
A Miss Ellen Rooney lived there in 1954 she was a shop assistant

Kitty1234

« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2015, 08:52:30 PM »
Hi I was born and reared on Lavina St no 33 Mc Elwee it was lovely to read all the stories and see the photos x

Glenys1

« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2015, 10:37:56 PM »
My ggg Granda Hamilton lived at no 4 Lavinia Street back in 1876, yes 1876. It said he was a Spirit Dealer and Grocer. Can anyone tell me was that the shop on the corner. His wife is down as being at no 2 Lavinia Street in 1871 and I was led to believe it was a flat above a shop?

CarolB62

« Reply #155 on: September 14, 2015, 06:56:47 PM »
Anyone remember little Ormeau St. South of and parallel to Donegall Pass. I knew the Flanagans there at no.22. Jerry was my best friend till he died in late 1961, buried in Milltown. Sisters were Cecilia who married Jerry Major; Patricia and May. Younger brothers were Michael and Tommy who left to work in construction in Coventry. Next to them were the Dowds who owned a bookie's in the markets; next the beautiful redhead Bell Lenihan, who while being Protestant loved Irish music and dancing and went to ceilidhes. She moved to Canada in the aerly 50s (Possibly Toronto). Opposite 22 (No.11 (?) ) was old granny Blevins, a strict Presbyterian who told Jerry Flanagan and me off for "breaking the Sabbath" by playing marbles in the street on Sunday. At the end of the street was Thompson's bakery where Mr. Flanagan (originally moved from Dundalk) worked.
Anyone remember the junk shop on the Ormeau Rd below the railway bridge which had a lot of old valuable spinning wheels from times past among other junk. There was a Rexall chemist at the corner of Ormeau St. and Ormeau Rd. two doors down was a bread store that still sold loaves in 1/4 = farthings in the late 1940s.St. Mlachy's priests Frs. Rogan, Dean (a friend of Dublin comedian Jimmy O'Dea, Connolly, very severe on himself but very gentle in confession, and the great presence of Canon Macauley from the glens. More anon.
Tony

Tony old Granny Blevings was my great granny!  

Marilyn Morrow

« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2019, 10:18:00 AM »
I have just joined this site, name Marilyn Morrow from Abbott Street from 1950s to 1970s. Would love to hear from others from around that era.

bjay

« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2019, 06:15:08 PM »
Moved to Annadale in the early  1970's ??

danso

« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2019, 10:48:32 PM »
Knew big lad called morrow lived beside havelock house

Marilyn Morrow

« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2019, 01:58:42 AM »
Hey Bjay,
Where did you live prior to Anna Dale?

bjay

« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2019, 03:07:52 PM »
Marilyn, you and your sister were very good looking, vey pretty girls, if my memory serves me well.

Marilyn Morrow

« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2019, 01:37:49 AM »
Hi Bjay,

Thank you for the compliment, very nice of you.

May I ask your name as I would like to know who I am talking with. You seem to have memory of my sister and I but I don't know who you are. Did you also know my brothers?
Marilyn