Author Topic: St Tereasa's primary school 1958-1968  (Read 32289 times)

bhelena

Re: St Tereasa's primary school 1958-1968
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2008, 09:44:39 AM »
Are you from Turflodge yourself
no I am from the Glen Rd myself but now living in Dublin 35yrs now going up north to Derry for the weekend while the weather is good what about you ..

Loiste na mona

« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2008, 01:44:21 PM »
Are you from Turflodge yourself
originally yes, been out of it a couple years now.
parents are still there

finlay22

« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »

i went to st teresa,s from 1959 until cross and passion opened my teacher was miss mc bride who later went on to become headmistress of holy trinity school in turflodge.miss hillon was headmistress when i was there.i remember some of the girls in my class marie seaton and her sister sheila frankie lynch anne brady to mame but a few.  

am

« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2008, 09:45:44 PM »
Finlay think we may have been in the same class with Miss McBride recognise some of the names you mentioned. Do you remember "nature study" in the fields at the back of the school, the "huts", and rounders seemed to be Miss McBride's favourite sport. She came I think from Ballycastle, and the only trip I remember going on while in her class was for the day to Ballycastle - we thought we were really great heading of instead of sitting in the classroom. She used to read towards the end of the day from, Anne of Green Gables, Wind in the Willows, and my favourite was about a wee angel called "Wopsy". Hard to believe it was soooooo long ago!! Anne-Marie

lilybo

« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2008, 10:21:23 PM »
originally yes, been out of it a couple years now.
parents are still there

I left Turf 38 years ago when I got married but still go back 4 - 5 times a year, must be something in the water LOL
Get down on your knees and thank God you are still on your feet.

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2008, 11:58:52 PM »
hi lilybo,  left turf lodge in 74 to come to canada but my brother still lived there with my mum till the 80's.    lots of memories, one memory of me and my sister taking flight in the divis flats from all that tear gas one time,  :o :o but that's another story.   sixtyniner
sixtyniner

finlay22

« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2008, 01:40:31 AM »
hi am think we might have been in same class did you come from turf lodge.and yes i remember rounders and anne of green gables i went on to read all the anne books.

lilybo

« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2008, 10:43:03 AM »
hi am think we might have been in same class did you come from turf lodge.and yes i remember rounders and anne of green gables i went on to read all the anne books.

One of my sisters was head girl at Cross and Passion in the eighties so you had probably left by then as she was born in 1960  :police:  :-*  oops ignore the police smiley slip of the hand LOL
Get down on your knees and thank God you are still on your feet.

finlay22

« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2008, 03:47:53 PM »
i left cross and passion when i was 15 in 1969 so i was long gone by the time your sister was there. ;) ;)

Paul McCarthy

« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2010, 08:24:11 PM »
I  was at this school from 1963-1970
head master was bonzo mc gonigle
other teachers
miss devlin
jimmy donnelly
john sands
mr vallelly
and my first teacher was miss gillece

i was there from 1959 - 65 then went to Glen Road CBS. Can see Bonzo now ringing the bell and lining up. Our teacher was Mr Hamilton. Recall major public enquiry when someboby put a scratch on his new Ford Anglia. Culprit apprehended (or fitted up!) and six of the best. I went on to train as a teacher and sometimes recalled Bonzo's sophisticated psychometic testing of new pupils coming into the school. It was conducted in our classroom in front of class with Mr Hamilton watching the master at work. Bonzo had 3 standard questions - on was a sum, can't remember the second but the clincher was always ''Spell the word sword''. Spell it with a w and you were into the A stream, leave out the w and say goodbye to your life chances! Happy memories of playing in the field behind the school in the summer, yes remember the stream that ran through the playground and the line on the ground that separated the boys from the girls' playground - cross that at your peril!

bhelena

« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2010, 02:24:07 PM »

i was there from 1959 - 65 then went to Glen Road CBS. Can see Bonzo now ringing the bell and lining up. Our teacher was Mr Hamilton. Recall major public enquiry when someboby put a scratch on his new Ford Anglia. Culprit apprehended (or fitted up!) and six of the best. I went on to train as a teacher and sometimes recalled Bonzo's sophisticated psychometic testing of new pupils coming into the school. It was conducted in our classroom in front of class with Mr Hamilton watching the master at work. Bonzo had 3 standard questions - on was a sum, can't remember the second but the clincher was always ''Spell the word sword''. Spell it with a w and you were into the A stream, leave out the w and say goodbye to your life chances! Happy memories of playing in the field behind the school in the summer, yes remember the stream that ran through the playground and the line on the ground that separated the boys from the girls' playground - cross that at your peril!
I left St Teresa's in 67 did you come from the Glen Road I lived right on the edge of the CBS's pitch in Gartree Place know anyone from there ?

Golden oldie

« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2014, 11:20:09 AM »
I`m a newbi to this site .  I remember most of those names.  I remember seeing Danny Hill with his leg in plaster after the crash.  He lived further up Glen road from Arizona street beside old Dr ? house.  We called the tin church the tin bucket.  Did you know anyone in Arizona Street?

bhelena

« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2014, 11:41:43 AM »
I`m a newbi to this site .  I remember most of those names.  I remember seeing Danny Hill with his leg in plaster after the crash.  He lived further up Glen road from Arizona street beside old Dr ? house.  We called the tin church the tin bucket.  Did you know anyone in Arizona Street?
Welcome to the Belfast Forum (good name) the tin bucket is falling apart they should try to preserve it its a shame to see it go to rot and ruin its part of the Glen Roads history did Danny Hill come from Turf Lodge ?...

chink

« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2014, 04:33:38 PM »
my brother in law got married in the old chapel it is still on the grounds beside the new chapel heard a few years ago it was going to get moved to somewhere in the countryside but sadly it is still there

bhelena

« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2014, 05:04:56 PM »
my brother in law got married in the old chapel it is still on the grounds beside the new chapel heard a few years ago it was going to get moved to somewhere in the countryside but sadly it is still there
I was in the new Chapel last month and was so sad to see the little Church going to wreck and ruin as kids there was a lovely Protestant family living facing us now this was the very early 60s and we used to go to the  Church and our Protestant  friend would go to ours that would have been a sin for us but we did it because we wanted to know what goes on but it was all about God this was before we knew anything about the troubles that was about to happen we still remain friends...