Author Topic: St Tereasa's primary school 1958-1968  (Read 30762 times)

Desmond Harris

Re: St Tereasa's primary school 1958-1968
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 11:34:32 PM »
no only posh people lived in collnasilla lol, lived in turflodge bottom end by gransha well there was no gransha when we moved there in 1960 that came afterwards

Not only is the Collnasilla estate posh, not for the working class like ourself! And it took away the back fields we used to play in.IT had be longed to a farmer called Smicker, and the land was known as Smickers Field. Do you remember the wee cottage that was just up from the entrance to the new estate ? My earlest memories are of an old and very rural looking couple sitting out the front.I must have been about 4-5 years old at the time. There was a great big tree that had a great swinging rope from it, that was still there after the old cottage was demolished.

am

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »
Bhelena, I remember Miss Hillen and Miss O'Reilly too. Miss O'Reilly taught us ( if I remember) out in the"huts" -  paraffin heater to warm the room - and in the winter she used to put the bottles of milk on top of it to warm them. Miss Maguire was our teacher when we moved into the "new school" and then into Miss McBride - again in the huts for 2 years until we left. She also left that year and went to the new school in Turf Lodge to become Head Mistress. I always remember "nature study" classes when we were taken into the field at the back of the playground and we had to try not to tread in the "cows clap". The cows would occassionally get out of the field into the schoolyard, and on one occassion one was trying to come into the hut! My best friend 48 years later is still the one I met in St. Teresa's.

bhelena

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 06:20:46 PM »
Bhelena, I remember Miss Hillen and Miss O'Reilly too. Miss O'Reilly taught us ( if I remember) out in the"huts" -  paraffin heater to warm the room - and in the winter she used to put the bottles of milk on top of it to warm them. Miss Maguire was our teacher when we moved into the "new school" and then into Miss McBride - again in the huts for 2 years until we left. She also left that year and went to the new school in Turf Lodge to become Head Mistress. I always remember "nature study" classes when we were taken into the field at the back of the playground and we had to try not to tread in the "cows clap". The cows would occassionally get out of the field into the schoolyard, and on one occassion one was trying to come into the hut! My best friend 48 years later is still the one I met in St. Teresa's.
Hello I do remember the parrafins the old huts at the back of the school and the rats  :)my first teacher was Miss Ewings she allso had an older sister there aswell do you Miss Owens there was Nula and Deirdre when did you leave school I left in 1967....

am

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »
Hi Bhelena, yes I remember Miss Owens and Miss Ewings and wasn't there Miss Vallely - I think her class was next door to ours. We used to play rounders, that seemed to be the big game then with her class. I think I left in 1966, I lived in Commedagh Drive then, and used to go home for lunch every day - no school dinners then. Crusty bread and jam or cheese and a big kemp apple in summer, and soup or stew in winter! If you were back late you got the cane across the hand! One year there was very heavy snowfall only time I recall being sent home from school I think it closed for a day or so, and I still remember the "patrolman" carrying little ones across the road to parents. I never remember mine taking or collecting me from school expcept for the first day. Thereafter the "big girls" in the street took the younger ones with them to school each day. AM

Desmond Harris

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 12:15:41 AM »
Hi Bhelena, yes I remember Miss Owens and Miss Ewings and wasn't there Miss Vallely - I think her class was next door to ours. We used to play rounders, that seemed to be the big game then with her class. I think I left in 1966, I lived in Commedagh Drive then, and used to go home for lunch every day - no school dinners then. Crusty bread and jam or cheese and a big kemp apple in summer, and soup or stew in winter! If you were back late you got the cane across the hand! One year there was very heavy snowfall only time I recall being sent home from school I think it closed for a day or so, and I still remember the "patrolman" carrying little ones across the road to parents. I never remember mine taking or collecting me from school expcept for the first day. Thereafter the "big girls" in the street took the younger ones with them to school each day. AM
Commedagd Drive ! Did you know the Collins? What about the big rains that flooded the Glen road when we were at school?

bhelena

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »
Commedagd Drive ! Did you know the Collins? What about the big rains that flooded the Glen road when we were at school?
Desmond I remember when the CBS openned we all helped to staple the paper tissue around the platform that the cermony was taking place  it was beautifull day when the scool was blessed then we had to clean it all up after everyone was gone no fun there...

bhelena

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2008, 07:48:41 PM »
Bhelena, I remember Miss Hillen and Miss O'Reilly too. Miss O'Reilly taught us ( if I remember) out in the"huts" -  paraffin heater to warm the room - and in the winter she used to put the bottles of milk on top of it to warm them. Miss Maguire was our teacher when we moved into the "new school" and then into Miss McBride - again in the huts for 2 years until we left. She also left that year and went to the new school in Turf Lodge to become Head Mistress. I always remember "nature study" classes when we were taken into the field at the back of the playground and we had to try not to tread in the "cows clap". The cows would occassionally get out of the field into the schoolyard, and on one occassion one was trying to come into the hut! My best friend 48 years later is still the one I met in St. Teresa's.
  am do you remember mrs murtagh she lived in gransha and sr mary bernard.

Desmond Harris

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 03:45:18 AM »
Desmond I remember when the CBS openned we all helped to staple the paper tissue around the platform that the cermony was taking place  it was beautifull day when the scool was blessed then we had to clean it all up after everyone was gone no fun there...
I have a childhood memory of a realy big event at the CBS, with white and yeoow flags and buntings , and being told about the Bishop coming. I have no real idea how old I was but I was very young.The weather in my memory was of bright sunshine. So this could have been the opening day! Its always buged me not knowing what this day was. I loved walking around the empty school and looking at the industrial arts workshops and wanting to go to this school. My brother Gerry went as he didnt get the 11+, all the others in the family got it.
Do you remember Coco the Clown at St Agnes Primery School? Its another memory and it was from  the gates at the entrance in South Green that I saw him.He was up on the steps waving and all the kids going wild.

masser

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 08:01:04 PM »
Hi lillybo

where abouts in turf?
Was it near the steps at the bottom of Norglen Gdns or beside where the holdens lived or mcCabes about there?

masser

and I go to Portugal next thursday , lol not yesterday as you can see lol
  ;)

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 06:29:21 PM »
Hi Bhelena, my sister marion went to st Teresa's school and i think my sister Eileen also.  i'm  trying to find out the yr as she  younger than me.  we lived  in turf lodge (Monagh rd)  but i was working before we moved from the glen rd to turf lodge  so i probably don't know you but my sisters might.  sixtyniner
sixtyniner

bhelena

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 06:33:44 PM »
Hi Bhelena, my sister marion went to st Teresa's school and i think my sister Eileen also.  i'm  trying to find out the yr as she  younger than me.  we lived  in turf lodge (Monagh rd)  but i was working before we moved from the glen rd to turf lodge  so i probably don't know you but my sisters might.  sixtyniner
Had your sister red hair and were you at the end of the GlenRd...

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2008, 07:21:45 PM »
bhelena,  yes my sister had red hair and tons of freckles to go with it ;D eileen had blonde hair, i just thought of something, my brother george would have went there too as he was the youngest.  his name was george r.i.p.   our maiden name was elliott.  sixtyniner
sixtyniner

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2008, 07:26:06 PM »
bhelena, meant to put this in the other posting.  we lived on the glen rd  near the bottom.  they were white cottages, we lived there with my dad's mom  till we got a new house in turf lodge.  i can remember the night we moved and my memory is shot so it must have been some move ;D sixtyniner
sixtyniner

bhelena

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2008, 08:43:31 PM »
bhelena, meant to put this in the other posting.  we lived on the glen rd  near the bottom.  they were white cottages, we lived there with my dad's mom  till we got a new house in turf lodge.  i can remember the night we moved and my memory is shot so it must have been some move ;D sixtyniner
Iam your sister got the 11+the only one in Mrs McBrides class to get it am I right :)

lilybo

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2008, 09:48:36 PM »
Must be something about turf sixtyniner I can remember the move and it was in Oct 1960 but I can't remember the white cottages      :idiot2: :idiot2:
Get down on your knees and thank God you are still on your feet.