Author Topic: St Tereasa's primary school 1958-1968  (Read 30761 times)

SIXTYNINER

Re: St Tereasa's primary school 1958-1968
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 10:21:53 PM »
lilybo,  how can you remember when we moved? ???   i think it was raining, did you help us.   the cottages were at the corner of the st. the donoghues lived on.   the cottages are not there now they were tore down a long time ago and i believe a dr's office is there now, i could be wrong.    i remember having to walk to the glen rd to get a bus  to the top of the donnie and then one down the donnie to get to work.   i remember the long walk home when they took the buses of because they were burning them but that's another story.   sixtyniner
sixtyniner

bhelena

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »
bhelena, meant to put this in the other posting.  we lived on the glen rd  near the bottom.  they were white cottages, we lived there with my dad's mom  till we got a new house in turf lodge.  i can remember the night we moved and my memory is shot so it must have been some move ;D sixtyniner
was I right about your sister did she pass her 11+

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2008, 11:24:59 PM »
bhelena, tried phoning my sister to see if she got the 11+ but she was not in so i sent of an email, will let you know when she gets back to me.  told her about ''belfast forum" so she might even go on.   i don't remember much about then except my sisters and  my brother were the smart ones in the family :idiot2: so that leaves only me ha ;D.   lilybo talked about her and her sister beating the ## out of each other  well  i can remember my sister (marion)  and i doing that one day in the bathroom  and my mother just stood there in the kitchen not making a move.   sixtyniner
sixtyniner

bhelena

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 12:26:11 AM »
bhelena, tried phoning my sister to see if she got the 11+ but she was not in so i sent of an email, will let you know when she gets back to me.  told her about ''belfast forum" so she might even go on.   i don't remember much about then except my sisters and  my brother were the smart ones in the family :idiot2: so that leaves only me ha ;D.   lilybo talked about her and her sister beating the ## out of each other  well  i can remember my sister (marion)  and i doing that one day in the bathroom  and my mother just stood there in the kitchen not making a move.   sixtyniner
I did not sit the 11+ I took the day instead as you do I know It was your Marion and I remember the white cottages she could have gone to St Dominics she was that good  I dont know what happened to you :D

paddyone

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 12:33:26 AM »
i went there between 1965-1970 the teacher i remember was a mr sands i remember he had very red cheeks. i can not remember any school mates names though.. old age creeping in

paddyone

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 01:56:53 AM »
bhelena, all my sisters were smart, i think i got the stupid gene ;D  my brother was the smartest of us all but.  i went to little flower sec. intermed. school on summerton rd.  i use to have to take two buses but i liked reading on the bus so it was cool.  i don't know why my mother never sent me to st. Teresa's when we moved to the glen rd.  my older sister Bridie and i had to still travel to st patrick's on  donegal st.  and then she did the 11+  and left school  and later i went on to little flower.  wow listen to all this history.
sixtyniner

lilybo

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 08:38:59 AM »
lilybo,  how can you remember when we moved? ???   i think it was raining, did you help us.   the cottages were at the corner of the st. the donoghues lived on.   the cottages are not there now they were tore down a long time ago and i believe a dr's office is there now, i could be wrong.    i remember having to walk to the glen rd to get a bus  to the top of the donnie and then one down the donnie to get to work.   i remember the long walk home when they took the buses of because they were burning them but that's another story.   sixtyniner

I don't remember your move but it is our move that I remember LOL = now I also remember the cottages and you are right there is a doctor's surgery there now.  The two Miss Hillons still live in Norfolk Parade they taught in St. John's and were the sisters of Miss Hillon from St. Teresa's, neither of them ever married still living as spinsters there.

I remember the burning buses and the burning offices, the only reason I was allowed to go to London wa

s because the office I worked in down in York Street was petrol bombed becuase Larry McMahone and all of us were catholics (happy days).

Ann went to London with Mary just before that and Ann never wnet back to Belfast, she still lives in

London, her mother eventually moved over to London to stay with her and she died a few years back.
Get down on your knees and thank God you are still on your feet.

lilybo

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 08:40:22 AM »
i went there between 1965-1970 the teacher i remember was a mr sands i remember he had very red cheeks. i can not remember any school mates names though.. old age creeping in

paddyone

Paddy you would have been at St. Teresa's around the same time as my late brother Freddie Holden.
Get down on your knees and thank God you are still on your feet.

bhelena

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 02:39:56 PM »

paddyone
know the feeling I lrft in 1967  41yrs ago my god where does it go  :(

Desmond Harris

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2008, 12:05:10 PM »

bhelena

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
bhelena,  yes my sister had red hair and tons of freckles to go with it ;D eileen had blonde hair, i just thought of something, my brother george would have went there too as he was the youngest.  his name was george r.i.p.   our maiden name was elliott.  sixtyniner
Yes I know the white cottages a member of my sisters, in-laws lived there for a short time in the very late 60s you did not have far to move ?

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »
bhelena,  what was the name of your sister in law  maybe i would remember her? :-\   the murphys lived at the end with the collins next door to us.   i use to play with ann and then we moved.  sixtyniner
sixtyniner

bhelena

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 02:10:14 PM »
bhelena,  what was the name of your sister in law  maybe i would remember her? :-\   the murphys lived at the end with the collins next door to us.   i use to play with ann and then we moved.  sixtyniner
It was not my in -laws it was my sister whos in-laws it was I dont their name but I will ask her when we talk next time.Is it still bad up there water wise?...

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »
bhelena, thanks for the input and waiting to hear if i knew them.   a bit confused about the water :idiot2: did you mean in belfast or canada where i live ;D cause right now  we've had the wettest august ever, thunder and lightening every other day, no kidding. ::)  was talking to my niece (she lives in lisburn)  and she said they had so much rain  it was overflowing and   going into people's houses and  even on the streets you were nearly wading. ;D  sixtyniner
sixtyniner

bhelena

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008, 04:33:08 PM »
bhelena, thanks for the input and waiting to hear if i knew them.   a bit confused about the water :idiot2: did you mean in belfast or canada where i live ;D cause right now  we've had the wettest august ever, thunder and lightening every other day, no kidding. ::)  was talking to my niece (she lives in lisburn)  and she said they had so much rain  it was overflowing and   going into people's houses and  even on the streets you were nearly wading. ;D  sixtyniner
No I was talking about Belfast so your in Canada I was in Canada last year we went to Quebec but just for the weekend we were staying in New Hampshire Quebec was about 5 hour  drive what part are you in :)