Author Topic: St Tereasa's primary school 1958-1968  (Read 33385 times)

Desmond Harris

Re: St Tereasa's primary school 1958-1968
« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2008, 12:02:41 AM »
Hi Sixty-niner, I remember the white cottages and Turf Loney,do you ever remember the bonfires on 15 August and Halloween down in the field between St.Meryl Park and Fruithill Park.Did you ever have an Owney Muldoon special short back and sides ,he was at end of Glen Parade beside  the post office up from police station.Do you remember Jim Keenan from Glen Crescent,his father had all the paper rounds.also Leo and Stephen Delaney lived on the Glen Road just up from the ruc  barrack.Dessie McConkey was the caretaker of St.Teresa,s school.Paddy Larkin was the sacristan of the chapel.The old church beside Turf Loney is now an r.c.chapel.Do you remember Jim Farrell ,he came with his family to live with his grandparents at the shop at the corner of Arizona Street.We used to take the short-cut across Turf Loney to the Falls Park.Do you remember the old quarry up off the upper Springfield Road and across towards the TV.masts the Hatchet Field.Do you recall Danny Hill from the Glen Road who survived the plane crash at Nutts Corner airport in the 1950s
Hi Jake
Arhur Hill was my Brother Eamonn's best mate and went to St Malaches together.
The Barbers , Muldoons had great comics and it was 6p for short back and sides and he never charged you extra for the hair down the back of your shirt.

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #76 on: September 04, 2008, 02:40:49 AM »
hi jake don't know what i did but this will be the second posting, the other one disappeared.   do you remember the pub at the end of the glen rd. it was facing the barracks, my granny use to send us, me or my sisters,  in there for a bottle of Guinness nearly every day, said it was for her blood ;D ;D  i guess it must have been true, she lived a long time ::) ::) take care.  sixtyniner
sixtyniner

jake

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2008, 05:23:41 PM »
Hi 69r, McEnanney,s pub is still there at corner of Divis Drive,and is still the watering hole for mourners after the funerals in Milltown cemetery.I remember on Sunday after mass ,my uncle took me to Colin Glen beside the bridge at the bend on the Glen Road where we washed his car.We used to go swimming in Tornaroy up at McQuillans quarry ,it was great on a hot summers, day.We had a priest who rode his horse from The Rock Chapel down to see Canon Boyle at the parochial house several times a week ,Fr.McCarroll was his name and if you looked after his horse ,he gave you a half-crown.Up the Glen Road from the school there was the convent ,Cardinal Conway,s parents house,Airfield House were the Christian Brothers lived ,then the Brewery,next the Glen Road cottages,O,Neill,s and the McGinley,s [Sammy and Norah],then you had O,Hare,s farm,and McAlinden,s house just up on the right pass Shaw,s Road.[McAlinden brothers, owned Belfast Celtic F.C. and Celtic Park on the Donegall Road.Jake

jake

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2008, 04:54:02 PM »
Hi  Sixty -niner,do you remember Paddy Hynes they owned a pub at Broadway facing the Beehive,he lived on Glen Road,Barney Greenan from Gransha and Matt and Joe McCormick,Peter Gilmore,Irene O,Hanlon[her father owned garage on the Andersonstown Road,she had a brother Terry]Do you recall the dark grey convent at the top of Fruithill Park ,people used to say it was haunted.Take care.Jake

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2008, 07:44:52 PM »
hi jake nice to hear you again.  that pub facing the broadway, well  they say it's a small world, a few yrs ago in work one of the Courier guys came in with a package and i was signing for it, well we got talking and he remarked on my accent ( that lovely accent)  :-*lie said he dad came from belfast and lived up near broadway and use to drink in that pub and  knew all around there.  the son was going to find out more but he never came back again as the regular guy came back :(  you never know who you'll meet eh.  ;D take care.  sixtyniner
sixtyniner

oz

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2008, 06:09:27 AM »
I attended St. Tereasa,s primary school from 1951-1961 and have fond memories of some ot the teachers. Dodd Kelly one only had to askhim
a question on Irish histroy and he would be distracted away from any other difficult subject in which we had become bored or where finding difficulity with. Jim Donnelly quick with the cain but managed to extract some positve results from within. He also represented the U.K at the
commonwealth games playing Lawn bowls. I stand to be corrected if not true

jake

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2008, 04:07:59 PM »
Hi Oz,I think you are right about Jimmy Donnelly and the lawn bowls,and Dodd Kelly loved to talk up old Irish history ,it was great.Jake

Mageeka

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »
The oly folks that I can remember in Bosnia St were Joe Armstrong, Martha Redmond  I seem to also remember the name Reilly and Maxwell
Am I correct or is my memory gone ?

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2008, 07:02:22 PM »
hi mageeka,  my sister marion duffy lived in bosnia st at one time.  that was a long time ago.  i came to canada in 74 and i think she was still there then :idiot2:?   still  have not heard from anyone who knew the halls from b.murphy.     sixtyniner
sixtyniner

jake

« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2008, 05:54:24 PM »
bhelena,don,t listen to those nasties talking about Coolnasilla like that because I remember when it was only fields 1940s Do you remember the river across the playground and the bridge over to the wooden classrooms were masters Donnelly and McCoy taught[McCoy,s sister had the Irish dance school,In the mornings we had to line up out side the cloakroom doors at the side entrance Bonzo mcgonagle rang the bell and he had a short barbers,strap which he had in his back trousers pocket and he would give 6 slaps to anyone caught talking.I beaked once and hid my bag under the Glen Road tunnel between Fruithill/Glenhill Parks.never again too scared of being caught and then definitely the cane Worst of all was the Religeous Exam when Fr.McNamara was the inspector ,he would clip your ear if you stammered and knuckle your head if you got the wrong answer,R.E. cruelty,school would have been ok except for the teachers enjoyment with the cane,Do you remember Dessie McConkey school caretaker,the McGinleys, and O,Neills, from Glen Road cottages.Jake

AL CAPONE

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2008, 06:48:31 PM »
hi mageeka,  my sister marion duffy lived in bosnia st at one time.  that was a long time ago.  i came to canada in 74 and i think she was still there then :idiot2:?   still  have not heard from anyone who knew the halls from b.murphy.     sixtyniner

Joe/Gabe Hall from Ballymurphy?

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2008, 11:54:31 PM »
hi Jake, are the glen rd cottages the ones at the bottom of the glen rd where  i lived?   i remember fr. McNamara and it sounds awful but did not like him very much.  went to st Teresa's church for a long time then we moved to turf lodge but i still loved the church and even got married in it much to the dismay of the church in turf lodge.  don't talk about getting caned,  my two other sisters and myself still traveled to st. patricks on donegal st. after we moved to the glen rd.  we had a headmistress who was fond of the cane :o   we had to pass through her class to get to ours and if you were late then you got the cane and an extra one if you pulled your hand away >:( :o  sixtyniner
sixtyniner

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2008, 12:06:45 AM »
hi Alcapone,  Joe was one of the hall, he was funny, but not Gabe.  he has a brother, the name escapes me, he had sisters but only Rosetta still lived in the house, the others were married.   i was really fond of his mom.   :-*  sixtyniner
sixtyniner

jake

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2008, 04:50:28 PM »
Hi sixty -niner, No these were cottages up above the brewery,Rosie O,Neill and her family  were in one and Norah and Sammy McGinley and their family in another.Do you remember the Vallaley,s in Lake Glen ,just passed Glen Parade on the Fall,s Road.Tinsley,s garage at the bottom of Andersonstown Park beside Hughes scrapyard,and Gillen,s pig farm facing it.There was a Legion of Mary convent facing Andersonstown Park, I remember a lot of the girls went down there.Did you ever go to the dances in St.Teresa,s hall, the priest Fr.Campbell walking between the dancers to stop any smooching,we stopped going there and headed into town to the dances there.Take care,Jake

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2008, 10:30:39 PM »
hi jake, just saw so many photos from the b.murphy crowd ;D i never did have many friends while living on the glen rd.  going to school somewhere else and  going home to the glen rd. made it hard to have friends.   :( :( aw. made most of my friends when i started work.  wish i had your memory ;D ;D  sixtyniner
sixtyniner