Author Topic: St Tereasa's primary school 1958-1968  (Read 32931 times)

bhelena

Re: St Tereasa's primary school 1958-1968
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2008, 03:51:03 PM »
bhelena,don,t listen to those nasties talking about Coolnasilla like that because I remember when it was only fields 1940s Do you remember the river across the playground and the bridge over to the wooden classrooms were masters Donnelly and McCoy taught[McCoy,s sister had the Irish dance school,In the mornings we had to line up out side the cloakroom doors at the side entrance Bonzo mcgonagle rang the bell and he had a short barbers,strap which he had in his back trousers pocket and he would give 6 slaps to anyone caught talking.I beaked once and hid my bag under the Glen Road tunnel between Fruithill/Glenhill Parks.never again too scared of being caught and then definitely the cane Worst of all was the Religeous Exam when Fr.McNamara was the inspector ,he would clip your ear if you stammered and knuckle your head if you got the wrong answer,R.E. cruelty,school would have been ok except for the teachers enjoyment with the cane,Do you remember Dessie McConkey school caretaker,the McGinleys, and O,Neills, from Glen Road cottages.Jake
Sorry jake for the delay I was on holidays and I am just catching up on emails I was from the Glen rd and I new the McGinleys I new Renee her brother Sammy aswell I went to St Teresas from57 to 67 God that was a lon time ago we used to take the shortcut through Coolnasilla I loved the place later on in life we were going to go back to Belfast to buy a house we looked at Coolnasilla and it was such a shock to see the houses right onto the back lane of Gartree and Knockdue just to many houses and gone are all the fields we played in as children are you from the Glen Rd?

lilybo

« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2008, 06:31:21 PM »
Hi All Ex-St.Teresa,s pupils,I remember John,Matt,Mary Brown , Patsy,Jim,Walter Gallagher from Commedagh Drive,Felix McGeough ,Shanlieve Road,John  McNama,Riverdale  cottages.Jim O,Connor ,Troasten Way,Jim McNally,Pat McLarnon,Slemish Way.Margaret Dougan,Ken Gillespie,Bearnagh Drive,Margaret McComiskeyMargaret,Teresa Wilson,Maura,Nuala Boyle,Hilary,Gemma,Sean,Laurence  Finnegan,Eamon,Brian,Fred,Peter,Pat Smith,Margaret,Billy Vernon,David Liddell,Robin,Billy,Winifred,Joe McCloskey,Joey ,Jim Brennan,Junior McGrogan,Glennon,Connolly,Harry,Florence Barrington from St.Meryl Park and Andersonstown.Did any of you guys get sent to Owney Muldoon,s barbers beside Glen Parade for your short back and sides and a few nicks thrown in for  good measure ,no extra charge.One thing about then ,the girls were real and did not need loads of make-up and they could sure as hell, they could dance.They are surelly missed.Cheers for now.Jake
Get down on your knees and thank God you are still on your feet.

lilybo

« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2008, 06:34:51 PM »
Hi All Ex-St.Teresa,s pupils,I remember John,Matt,Mary Brown , Patsy,Jim,Walter Gallagher from Commedagh Drive,Felix McGeough ,Shanlieve Road,John  McNama,Riverdale  cottages.Jim O,Connor ,Troasten Way,Jim McNally,Pat McLarnon,Slemish Way.Margaret Dougan,Ken Gillespie,Bearnagh Drive,Margaret McComiskeyMargaret,Teresa Wilson,Maura,Nuala Boyle,Hilary,Gemma,Sean,Laurence  Finnegan,Eamon,Brian,Fred,Peter,Pat Smith,Margaret,Billy Vernon,David Liddell,Robin,Billy,Winifred,Joe McCloskey,Joey ,Jim Brennan,Junior McGrogan,Glennon,Connolly,Harry,Florence Barrington from St.Meryl Park and Andersonstown.Did any of you guys get sent to Owney Muldoon,s barbers beside Glen Parade for your short back and sides and a few nicks thrown in for  good measure ,no extra charge.One thing about then ,the girls were real and did not need loads of make-up and they could sure as hell, they could dance.They are surelly missed.Cheers for now.Jake

Hi Jake,

Can you remember Fred's surname?

bhelena

« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2008, 01:12:23 AM »
Hi Jake,

Can you remember Fred's surname?
I think the McNamaras went to live on the Glen rd cottages there was one really good looking brother I cant remember his name it might have been Hugh...

jake

« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2008, 06:21:47 PM »
Hi Bhelena,I was born at Andersonstown Park ,went to St.Teresa,s P.S. only,and then went to work,joined the Post Office 1960.The area has definitely changed over the years,and they have removed a lot of the trees we used to climb.They even covered over the river which run across the school playground.Do you remember P.E.. everybody was given a team coloured ribbon to wear,and bean bags to throw at the wooden skittle blocks.On Friday mornings everybody was in the large classroom just inside the front main entrance,for choir practice by Master Gunning [ Deputy Head] before he became the Principal of the Holy Child in South Green,it was always the Lark in the Clear Air.we wre rubbish Jake

bhelena

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2008, 07:00:44 PM »
Hi Bhelena,I was born at Andersonstown Park ,went to St.Teresa,s P.S. only,and then went to work,joined the Post Office 1960.The area has definitely changed over the years,and they have removed a lot of the trees we used to climb.They even covered over the river which run across the school playground.Do you remember P.E.. everybody was given a team coloured ribbon to wear,and bean bags to throw at the wooden skittle blocks.On Friday mornings everybody was in the large classroom just inside the front main entrance,for choir practice by Master Gunning [ Deputy Head] before he became the Principal of the Holy Child in South Green,it was always the Lark in the Clear Air.we wre rubbish Jake
Jake I had forgotten all about the bean bags thats a blast from the past I lived in Gartree Place and St Teresas was the only school I went to aswell and I did okay aswell I remember the new school when it openned we came from the huts at the back of the school yard and when the girls all moved the boys got all the girls old school but we still had the huts by the church hall I loved my school days and hated leaving as I did not know what I was going to do are you still in andersonstown?..

Loiste na mona

« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2008, 12:59:01 PM »
Well I dont know of any houses except the ones that ran along side the park my sister lived in Gransha and I was godmother to my niece first grandaughter a couple of weeks ago in the Holy Trinity Club I was last in it when it was the Marty Forsthy Club do you remember it.Catherine do you still live in Belfast? I am living in the south have been for 35yrs now but I go up often to see the family I have a Son and a Daughter and I had them baptiste in St Johns beside St Kevins school do you have children?
i am new on this forum so this may be old news, but have you check the photos here
http://www.holytrinitybelfast.com/

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2008, 09:03:30 PM »
hi lilybo,  just wanted to say hi.  was just on the "pound loney" site and brings back some memories from when we lived with my granny on the glen rd.  she told us stories about the loney and the people who use to live there, mind you that was a long time ago. :(   we loved listening to her and my mom when she lived there for a while, my mom did not come from the falls.   sixtyniner
sixtyniner

bhelena

« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2008, 09:22:28 PM »
hi lilybo,  just wanted to say hi.  was just on the "pound loney" site and brings back some memories from when we lived with my granny on the glen rd.  she told us stories about the loney and the people who use to live there, mind you that was a long time ago. :(   we loved listening to her and my mom when she lived there for a while, my mom did not come from the falls.   sixtyniner
hi sixtyniner my Mom came from Boomer st and I lived there as a child before moving to the Glen rd late 50s I loved living up the Glen rd running hot water and an inside toilet such luxury then haha.... :D ;D

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »
hi bhelena,  you must have been rich to have a toilet inside ;D ;D  our's was out the back and it was scary when you had to go in the dark :o   we use to play with the kids next door, their dad was a dr.  8)  and it was nice to use theirs when we played over there ;D  they use to have comics to make it more enjoyable  ;D ;D sixtyniner
sixtyniner

bhelena

« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2008, 09:32:26 PM »
hi bhelena,  you must have been rich to have a toilet inside ;D ;D  our's was out the back and it was scary when you had to go in the dark :o   we use to play with the kids next door, their dad was a dr.  8)  and it was nice to use theirs when we played over there ;D  they use to have comics to make it more enjoyable  ;D ;D sixtyniner
ah now we did not have comics but we had that white soft stuff that came on a roll real posh ::)

SIXTYNINER

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2008, 09:42:25 PM »
hi bhelena,  i think i gave you the wrong impression ;D we read the comics while doing our business ;D ;D  sixtyniner
sixtyniner

stephenmccall

« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2008, 09:49:02 PM »
I  was at this school from 1963-1970
head master was bonzo mc gonigle
other teachers
miss devlin
jimmy donnelly
john sands
mr vallelly
and my first teacher was miss gillece

bhelena

« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2008, 10:21:10 PM »
hi bhelena,  i think i gave you the wrong impression ;D we read the comics while doing our business ;D ;D  sixtyniner
I remember those days aswell I think everyone does what ? ;D :2funny: :2funny:

lilybo

« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2008, 10:39:22 PM »
i am new on this forum so this may be old news, but have you check the photos here
http://www.holytrinitybelfast.com/

Are you from Turflodge yourself