Author Topic: "City of Ember"  (Read 353 times)

EllCee

"City of Ember"
« on: June 18, 2008, 03:54:44 PM »
First embers of blockbuster on show
By David Rowney
BBC News

The first footage from a Hollywood science-fiction blockbuster filmed in Belfast has been released.

City of Ember, starring Bill Murray and Tim Robbins, was filmed between July and October 2007 in the historical 'Paint Hall' in the Titanic Quarter.

The film due to be released in the US on 10th October 2008. Details of the UK/Ireland release are expected soon.

Watch the "City of Ember" trailer here

The story comes from Jeanne du Prau's novel and the US$50m film was made by PlayTone.

The film, co-financed by Northern Ireland Screen and produced by Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman, features a stellar cast including Academy Award nominees Saoirse Ronan and Bill Murray, Harry Treadaway and Academy Award winners Martin Landau and Tim Robbins.

Martin Landau said: "It's amazing. It's quite an amazing set, extensive and tall and comfortable. I would say it's quite remarkable."

At the end of the last financial year City of Ember delivered an estimated 9.2m to the Northern Ireland economy. This was against an investment of just 800,000 from Northern Ireland Screen.

Richard Williams, chief executive of Northern Ireland Screen said: "The creative industries are key to creating the right environment for other industries to flourish. That's the logic driving our funding for the film, TV and digital sectors in Northern Ireland."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/northern_ireland/7460797.stm

Published: 2008/06/18 08:43:44 GMT

BBC MMVIII

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"