Author Topic: crumlin road area  (Read 136966 times)

DOFFER

crumlin road area
« on: June 19, 2008, 03:18:55 PM »
 hello belfast forum

hows everyone today , im marg org from belfast  would anyone have any old photos of the  crumlin rd area taken in maybe the 40s 50s  i would love to see them if you have any

i have just joined this forum  found it the other day and enjoy reading all the posts about belfast  past &present ,
im in my 70s now but still like to chat &and enjoy surfing the net ,
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

DOFFER

Re: crumlin road area
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 11:30:27 PM »
OH DEAR IS THERE NO ONE FROM AROUND THE OLD AREA     :'(
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

pentio

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 12:43:56 AM »
Doffer

A very warm welcome to the Forum, hope you enjoy the craic and banter on here. This photo of the old Mill in Flax street was posted by Colette some time ago.

DOFFER

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 11:45:41 AM »
Doffer

A very warm welcome to the Forum, hope you enjoy the craic and banter on here. This photo of the old Mill in Flax street was posted by Colette some time ago.

wow thanks for the photo pento ,i worked just down the road from there in ewarts mill  hence my siggy name ,started in ewarts in 1952 aged 14 as a cager ended as a layer of ends then moved to gallaghers in 56 ,left belfast 57 ,still remember all my good days at ewarts &gallaghers but i made more lovely pals at ewarts we all worked very happy togather shared all our secrets in the [wee house lol do you know what that was ?

DOFFER

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »
THAMKS FOR THE PHOTOS PENTO
THAT BATTENBERG PICTURE MADE ME CRY IT BROUGHT BACK ALL LOVELY MEMORIES

AND INDEED EVEN WITH VERY LITTLE WE ALWAYS SEEMED TO BE TURNED OUT WELL

IM  BIT OF A NOSTLGIA FREAK MY HUBBY TELLS ME OFF HE SAYS HE LIKES TILIVE IN TODAY BUT I LIKE LOOKING BACK AT OLD TIMES LONG BEFORE WORLD WENT MAD  LOL
MARG

Jeannie

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 04:55:19 PM »
Hi Marg
Welcome to the Belfast Forum, I am sure you will enjoy the craic and your walk down memory lane with other members from your old haunts. I am sure you will meet up with someone you know and also make new friends. :)

Pentio - Great pictures, thanks for sharing them. O0

harrydunn

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »
I know but i'm not for telling,  how did it get that name?

Great photos did you notice the old air raid shelter in the photo of Battenberg St great fun watching them being knocked down with the big steel ball in the fifties,we had the door of one of them on our outside toilet for years, our school was in Riga St there were shelters from Tennent St down used to jump from the roof of one shelter to the other as a dare
one guy i remember was jumping all the way down till he reached Emerson St he forgot to stop ran off the end and broke his leg

DOFFER

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 05:47:57 PM »
HARRY WE HAD SHELTERS IN OUR STREET &I REMEMBER THEM BEING KNOCKED DOWN WITH THE BIG BALL ,

THEY WERE GREAT PLACES TO PLAY HIDE -SEEK AND TO HIDE IF YOU HAD DONE SOMETHING TO UPSET YOUR MAM /DAD ,WE USED TO WAIT UNTIL IT GOT DARK THEN DARE EACH OTHER TO WALK FROM  ONE TO OTHER AS I WAS ALWAYS A SCARDY BAA I NEVER DID IT ,

greyghost

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 09:27:29 AM »
My dad was born at 70 Oregon Street, near the Crumlin. My sister was Christened at St Mary's in 1955 and my gran's last house in Belfast was in Agnes Street. just across the road from the chiropractors that looked after George Best. Great pics.
Dorothy O'Donnell (nee Simmons)
www.odos-photos.com

harrydunn

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 05:43:37 PM »
the "chiropractor" was a man called Mc Gregor made up this 'magic' linament in the kitchen sink his son ? Bobby Mc Gregor was phsio to glentoran F.C. and N/Ireland International team also managed The Glens for a few years, he had a practice on the Antrim Road attended by most of the leading sportsmen of the day, you went into his surgery there was always a queue! waited your turn within a few minutes of hearing what your ailment was you were on your way feeling a lot better with a bottle of his secret formula.

Rosser

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 01:14:16 AM »
 Hi All,
 This is my first post and I cant resist telling the name that Harison st was known as, [censored] st, I believe it got this name from when tick men and rent men called to collect what was owed the contents of the po would be emptied from the small upstairs windows hence the name. Hope thats right Doffer
How's yer belly off for blackheads

greyghost

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 01:18:28 AM »
Ha ha, it remains a secret, the system censor filters got you. :)
www.odos-photos.com

Rosser

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 02:34:13 AM »
There was me thinking what a great icebreaker,but I think everyone will know what the po contained  ;D
How's yer belly off for blackheads

greyghost

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 02:47:52 AM »
Not to worry, I think we know where you mean. You will enjoy it here We are all nuts together.
www.odos-photos.com

DOFFER

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 10:25:27 AM »
Hi All,
 This is my first post and I cant resist telling the name that Harison st was known as, [censored] st, I believe it got this name from when tick men and rent men called to collect what was owed the contents of the po would be emptied from the small upstairs windows hence the name. Hope thats right Doffer

quite so rosser but i hasten to add of course that was long way before my good self lived there of course  :D &i now believe its called Harrison Parade now thats posh  :-[btw rosser i now know who not to tell my secrets to  :knuppel2: lol

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy