Author Topic: crumlin road area  (Read 136965 times)

Rosser

Re: crumlin road area
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 02:05:55 PM »
Doffer, I love all the old names and try to keep them alive by using them at every opportunity, my granda was born in Handcart avenue but most young ones wouldn`t know where that was
How's yer belly off for blackheads

DOFFER

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 02:35:43 PM »
Doffer, I love all the old names and try to keep them alive by using them at every opportunity, my granda was born in Handcart avenue but most young ones wouldn`t know where that was

WAS IT ON THE FALLS

RE/HANDCARTS  MY OWN FATHER &HIS BROTHER WHEN THERE WAS NOT MUCH WORK GOING THEY WOULD BOTH HIRE HANDCARTS &GO LOOKING FOR PRUCK AND IM NEARLY SURE THE HANDCARTS CAME FROM AROUNG TOWNSEND ST WAY ,,TELL YOU THIS THEYGOT SOMEGOOD STUFF FROM WHAT WE USED TO CALL THE BIG HOUSES , AFTER THEY SORT ALL THEPRUCK MOST OF IT WOULD GO TO SMITHFIELD ,IE OLD BIBLES ,BOOKS ALL SORTS , MANY A FISH SUPPER OR STEW  WE ATE FROM THE   PROCEDES   :P
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

Rosser

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 03:39:28 PM »
Doffer,Handcart Avenue was Urney st off the Shankill, there was a yard which hired handcarts on the left hand side, I can remember well hiring them every year to collect bonfire wood.
How's yer belly off for blackheads

DOFFER

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 03:44:08 PM »
Doffer,Handcart Avenue was Urney st off the Shankill, there was a yard which hired handcarts on the left hand side, I can remember well hiring them every year to collect bonfire wood.

OMG THAT RIGHT I REMEMBER NOW ,,THATS WHERE MY DAD HIRED HIS  ;D WHEN HE FINISHED HE USED TO GIVE WE KIDS A RIDE WE ALL LOADED UP AND HE WOULD RUN DOWN TENNENT ST WE KIDS SQUEELING 
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says 'Oh [censored] shes awake!!'

harrydunn

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 12:22:26 AM »
the hand carts were owned by the Yates family, Tommy (battler) Yates was my foreman in Mackie's in the sixties, my aunt was doing a flit from Highfield estate to Sugarfield St the uncle hired a cart from Urney st all us kids gave a hand and had a ride on the handcart on the way back up to highfield this would have been late 40s early 50s great fun

greyghost

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 12:27:08 AM »
Pentio
My uncle Robert worked at Ewarts mill, he was a foreman and set-up the looms.
Don't really know that much about it, but he worked there for years.
The old Savoy flea pit used to go there on a Saturday afternoon to watch the matinée, Came home more than once with chewing gum stuck in my hair.
Is the Crumlin gaol still there, and the barracks down on the corner, another of my Aunts and Uncles lived in one of the tower blocks.
Dorothy O'Donnell (nee Simmons)
www.odos-photos.com

pentio

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 11:57:31 AM »
greyghost

I remember the Savoy and Crumlin cinemas very well, both were flea pits but no one seemed to mind, the Gaol is still there.

It is the only Victorian era prison remaining in Northern Ireland and closed in March 1996.

The Environment and Heritage Service have given it a grade A listed building status because of its architectural and historical significance. The Crumlin Road Courthouse, also derelict, stands opposite the Gaol. A tunnel under the main road connects the two buildings.

From BBC News September 2007.

New look Gaol becomes 'open' prison - 17 September 2007

Social Development Minister Margaret Ritchie today unveiled a major restoration programme at Crumlin Road Gaol and announced plans to open the Gaol to tourists and visitors.

£1million has been invested in improvements that include weather-proofing, health & safety repairs and restoration work. The façade of the Gaol has also been transformed, with security walls and fencing removed and the railings and main gates repaired.

The Minister commented: “The completion of this work represents a key milestone in the redevelopment of Crumlin Road Gaol. For the first time in a generation the frontage of the Gaol has been opened up, making a very positive contribution to improving the appearance of the Crumlin Road.

People can now appreciate the wonderful architecture of this listed building which was, of course, designed by Sir Charles Lanyon.

“The old blast walls, razor wire and bullet-proof glass have all been dismantled. Their demise represents a tangible expression of the sort of positive change that Belfast has been enjoying now for a number of years”.

greyghost

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 01:12:57 AM »
What a wonderful place to run a ghost tour.
Dorothy O'Donnell (nee Simmons)
www.odos-photos.com

robertc1

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 08:52:12 PM »
hello i lived near the crumlin jail ,bradford st and i worked in the mills aswell ;)

melv

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 07:25:45 PM »
C.O.Y.S.

melv

C.O.Y.S.

carroll brennan

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2008, 12:06:24 AM »
I can remember my mum dropping us of at the crumlin road picture house on a saturday so that she could do the shopping in peace :)  when we misbehaved they used to stop the film and turn the house lights up.

I'm so glad i found this site as i had been hunting for a Photo of St marys church where my parents got married. My dad grew up in Harrison st.

carroll

DOFFER

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 01:41:28 AM »
I can remember my mum dropping us of at the crumlin road picture house on a saturday so that she could do the shopping in peace :)  when we misbehaved they used to stop the film and turn the house lights up.

I'm so glad i found this site as i had been hunting for a Photo of St marys church where my parents got married. My dad grew up in Harrison st.

carroll
                  hi carrolis marg here from harrisonst i meant to get back to you but iv been away in florida ,i knew your dad &family will mail you tomorrow  nice to seeyou here  ,by the way theres quite a few photos on here of st marys etc crumlin rd etc

carroll brennan

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2008, 10:31:44 AM »
marg, i found this site when i had put in a search for St marys church. I never knew this place existed.  I now have a photo of that beautiful little church to put in a memory book for my new grand daughter.

Did you know my grandmother ?

DOFFER

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008, 12:29:49 PM »
marg, i found this site when i had put in a search for St marys church. I never knew this place existed.  I now have a photo of that beautiful little church to put in a memory book for my new grand daughter.

Did you know my grandmother ?
hello carrol yes indeed i knew your granny &your dad jimmy his brother george ,sisters mary etc , my friend way back around 1954/5 had a wee crush on your dad lolhope you dont mind me mentioned that but i was the go-between    ::) he was a lovely young  man ,i believe at that time he was a sheet metal worker he was also the most polite &considerate young man he was always well dressed smartly turned out i must say great to have a chat with you ,

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy