Author Topic: Rosario School  (Read 14908 times)

bnf

Re: Rosario School
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2008, 11:19:35 PM »
g,
I THINK THEREFORE I AM.
bnf.
ps  i can even cogitate & that's without a methody training.
 ;)   ;D   O0
" The Fox knows many things,
    but the Hedgehog knows one big thing. "
    ARCHILOCHUS.

giannineo

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2008, 11:24:20 PM »
bnf, I smell therefore I am. .I often cogitated after a Methody school lunch...bokeeeeee....only persons I knew with an"nf" in the initials was Norman Faulkner of Rosetta Road and Norman Fraser of Ormeau Road...norman Fraser lives in Lisburn ni.
 btw, only training I got in Methadone was how not to get caught smoking in school uniform. ::)

som54

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2008, 12:18:46 PM »
Just browsing the web and found this site - couldn't resist registering.
It was great to hear all the familiar old names - I've been away from Ballynafeigh for a long time and the memories were a little hazy but they are starting to return. I went to Rosario on Sunnyside Street (I kick with the other foot if you know what I mean) but had an old friend who went to Ulidia - John Smilie (Cnr. Haypark Avenue and Haywood St). His old man was a bus conductor and they eventually moved (c.1970) to Bangor. I remember the lane between Lavery's and the bookies (think it was Eastwoods) and it went up to the old air raid shelters and then through to Primrose Street.
I can still see Joe Borza on his 3 wheeler bicycle riding up Haypark Avenue. I remember his chips were crap and the place always stunk of vinegar.
Went to school with Gerald McGarrigle. I was a good friend of Martin Shield and he actually lived on Haywood Avenue. His sister lived on Whitehall Parade.
I used to do a paper run for John Brown (newsagent). The chippie of the corner of Walmer St and Blackwood St had the best meat pasties in the world.
I knew Bobby Jones - he used to make this unusual sound like the warning hooter when a submarine was about to submerge (strange).
My best mate went to Methody - Michael Crymble (he eventually joined the RAF until just recently - now flys private jets for people like Elton John).
Do you remember Dirty Dicks Pub (not his real name of course) on the corner of Kimberley St and Haywood St. He was a real grumpy ol' sod.
I look forward to reading you notes and remembering the good old times at East Belfast. O0

bnf

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2008, 01:01:43 PM »
som,
the publican was felix m'quillan, and contrary to public opinion
he was a gentleman. i'll let you into a trade secret the secret ingredient
in margaret's pasties was isobel's fag ash. how much and what kind is
patented.
bnf.                 ;)
    ARCHILOCHUS.

snowolf

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2008, 08:15:14 PM »

was passin today so took a snap befor they start building ,shame its gone  :(

teragram

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2008, 08:22:06 PM »
It's gonna be a bookies. Look, he's got his name up already.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

teragram

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2008, 08:26:30 PM »
I'm livin' on this road nearly 40 years, and I never knew that was a school until they started knocking it down. I just never took any notice of it.   My wife , who is from Kimberley St  said she went to it as a child. 
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

giannineo

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2008, 08:27:40 PM »
welcome Som, aye, and Borza's oul chips were minging ;D he had a juke box as you went in the door with your gas mask on to kill the smell of vinegar :D ;D ;D  The pub..was that The Hideaway?
 great photie snowolf..another landmark gone.

bnf

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2008, 09:23:14 PM »
g,
that was the hideaway,which became the kimberley inn
when adam gilmore owned it.
bnf
    ARCHILOCHUS.

giannineo

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2008, 09:33:55 PM »
cheers bnf. O0

jimjoe

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2008, 09:52:32 PM »
Som

Welcome to the site .   doesn't matter what foot you kick with here.

Just feel at home O0 O0

giannineo

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2008, 10:09:08 PM »
well said Jimjoe O0

som

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2008, 01:37:58 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys. Great photo snowolf but a little sad to the the empty ground. The houses in the background were in Rushfield Avenue and my sister and family lived on the end (to the right next to Sunnyside Street). Just opposite where this photo was taken was Hugh Frews grocery shop - it had everything you could want but only about one square metre in which to stand.
bnf. It was no ordinary fag ash (only woodbine could create such a taste) - starting to get a bit queezy just thinking about it  ;D
giannineo. considering you d.o.b. you probably remember the Strong family in Haypark. Mr Strong was a grandmaster in the lodge (very good to our family) - one year on the 12th July my brother disappeared and ended up marching to the field holding one of the ribbons from the banner. His best friend was the eldest son William Strong. William owned a hotel on Botanic Avenue near Shaftesbury Square but I believe he is now living in Bangor running a large Bed 'n Breakfast near the Pickie Pool and also a well know artist.

snowolf

random pics
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2008, 07:33:07 PM »
just a few random pics from my mobby O0

giannineo

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2008, 07:55:02 PM »
snowolf, great stuff thanks,but where is the piccie of the G's birth place....som, of course I remember the legendary  Strongs... Mother was SUSAN?????Sunny and the wife ran a boarding house in Bangor.I am pretty sure Sonny put a new fireplace in our house..I don't know if there was a Newry connection , but Sonny was at my grandfather's funeral.
  Must tell my mother who knew them well.Lawthers in Haypark, Montgomery's Whillocks, Moores,Dennisons, Dohertys , Leahys,Mc Connells, Ewarts, Clifford Williams who made bombs from penny squibs long before the troubles,Mc Williams.
 great to see the Ballynafeigh connections here...I was the lone Ballynafeigh eejit on here for ages.
  William and Sonny were almost drowned in Lough Neagh when William was very young.