Author Topic: Nazareth lodge orphanage in Belfast  (Read 71483 times)

old wallion

Re: Nazareth lodge orphanage in Belfast
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2009, 12:13:42 PM »
Hi Paddy,
i grew up at 109 South Parade and spent from the early seventies to 1983 hanging around with some of of the kids from the " lodge ". I went to St.Michaels and remeber Tony McCormicks first day in new school. He came in i guess around  :)House in the 70s

old wallion

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2009, 12:17:35 PM »
Hi Paddy,
i grew up at 109 South Parade and spent from the early seventies to 1983 hanging around with some of of the kids from the " lodge ". I went to St.Michaels and remeber Tony McCormicks first day in new school. He came in i guess around P4 OR 5  and you know kids dont like new kids !! Tony was fighting everyone for few weeks !! He won most of them !! tough wee nut !! The Jordans also i remeber well David was the older one and Robert was the younger one. Decent table tennis players.. good kids.. Frankie Maughan saved a few of us from a good kicking one time at the old Ormeau swimmers.. we were surrounded by a few guys from the " Pass " but Frankie stepped in and he always looked a lot older than he was so i think scared them off !!!! Do you remember Marty Gorman ? PJ Little ?
Regards..
Conor Drummond
YD, are you related to Paddy Drummond who was Caretaker of Nazareth House in the 70s. Sorry about the last thread dont know what happened  :)

dipylidium

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
I used to collect blackberrys in the cow field at the back of st augustine's.  There was no school there but there was a place were we took the blackberrys and the nuns brought us in and let us see the children,,,, Blue cots and pink cots in the rooms.

sj

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2009, 01:26:49 PM »
Would that have been St Joseph's Babies home and not the Lodge?
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

teragram

« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2009, 10:00:29 AM »
There was a man on Radio Ulster this morning at 9.35 describing the time he spent in Nazareth lodge from 1937 til 1941.   He had a horrendous time at the hands of one particular nun, sister Hilda,  (  I think surname Gartland ).  That nun is in hell.  He said in the whole place, there was only one good nun, and she was Sister Colombus.
The cruelty that was handed out to that man by Hilda, and some older boys, with her consent, wasn't normal.  For anyone interested, if there's a repeat of that radio program you should listen out for it.
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

hcoid

« Reply #110 on: August 08, 2009, 05:57:19 PM »
Eleanor asked about a children's home near Skegoniel. Eleanor I think it was along the Somerton Road and I know that I did volunteer work there with the girl guides but I can't remember its name either! Can anyone help?

just sixty

« Reply #111 on: August 08, 2009, 08:01:49 PM »
I remember in the fifties my mum hosted two brothers from nazareth lodge orphanage for christmas.  I think they were called Nolan to their surname.  There were eight of us already in the house and mum said there's room for another.  So we got one brother and a neighbour up the street got the other brother.  They cried when the had to go back.

donna downey

« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2009, 11:59:21 PM »
hi my mom was there in the 50's and 60's does anyone remember her. Mary philomena Prendergast, she had two brothers in care also John and Oliver. Both mom and Oliver are now deceased. Can anyone out there please help me, big void in my life and need to know about her early life.

paul lennon

« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2009, 05:26:36 PM »
my grandfather frank mcnally was at nazereth in the late 30's or early 40's along with his sister mary and brother patrick.. anyone out there remember them.. thanks

mickeybo

« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »
HI MY NAME IS MICHAEL, SURNAME WAS GUERIN WHEN I WAS IN NAZARETH LODGE.  I WAS IN SR ANGUS GROUP. WAS THERE FROM 1971 -1978. HAD 2 SISTERS IN THERE TOO, ANN AND ELIZABETH. I REMEMBER TONY MCCORMICK, STEPHEN HEGARTY, BRENDAN AND FELIX ROCKS, CHARLIE AND FRANKIE MAUGHAN. ANY 1 REMEMBER ME DROP ME A WEE LINE
MANY THANKS, MICHAEL

floral

« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2009, 04:29:52 PM »
Eleanor asked about a children's home near Skegoniel. Eleanor I think it was along the Somerton Road and I know that I did volunteer work there with the girl guides but I can't remember its name either! Can anyone help?

Got a bit of information from another Forum member. There was a childrens home called Brefine on the Somerton Road and also St. Aloysius Home. Hope this helps. Floral.

OLD ST.MALS GAL

« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2009, 10:06:23 PM »
My Granny lived at Markets all her life and for as long as I can remember she always had young boys who were the age to leave Nazareth Lodge lodged with her when they first found work.  She treated whose boys like her own though she was strict with them!  She was first approached by a priest who worked closely with the Lodge via St.Malachys Church to take in her first lodger and after that she took in more over the years. A lot of them would come back & visit her and she was fond of them all.
One remained with her for about 30 years until her death.  I believe he (Joe) still lives at the Markets and our family remember him fondly.  Joe if you are reading this, hello from all the Boyles and hope you are well and taking care of yourself.
Lovely memories of Stewart Street

M

tomato

« Reply #117 on: September 08, 2009, 10:43:49 PM »
think ur talking about joe hanratty some photos of him on who do u know from the market

OLD ST.MALS GAL

« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2009, 10:58:39 PM »
Tomato
Thanks, yes I have seen them and also spotted one of my Granny!!
The Markets site is great.  I have my family in USA hooked on it as the older ones in the family were born at the Markets and also the family have strong links with St. Mal  GAC.
If you see Joe, would you let him know we all often think of him

M

D0TC0M

Re: Nazareth lodge & st josephs babies home.
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2009, 08:35:55 PM »
hi guys
i myself was in st josephs from sept 1975-may 1976 i seen the spotlight program last night and it has made me think more about finding info on the place any 1 can help me out please drop me a line.
dec