Author Topic: Kelvin School, Roden Street, Sandy Row  (Read 78655 times)

matchett

Kelvin School, Roden Street, Sandy Row
« on: August 14, 2008, 07:02:55 PM »
Interested in anyone who went to Kelvin or lived around Coolderry St  Coolfin Street or Coolbeg street

Kathleen2

Re: Kelvin School, Roden Street, Sandy Row
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:22:19 PM »
I went to Kelvin, 1962 - 1966. Lots of ex-Kelvin students on Friends Reunited website O0
" Tell them for their tomorrow, we gave our today"
A World War 1 soldier.

In memory of my grandfather, James McGimpsey. 9th Royal Scots.

Val

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 08:19:32 PM »
I also went to Linfield, then on to Kelvin to 1960, came from Sandy Row.

Val  :)

jemmy hope

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:25:40 AM »
I went to Kelvin after Linfield closed. I left in 1960.
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

Val

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 12:28:56 AM »
Hi Jemmy Hope,

Which classes were you in,  I was in 1a,2a,3b,4b for 2 yrs because they changed the darned leaving age to 15 that year. :o   

Val  O0

jemmy hope

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 12:10:31 AM »
Val, I was in  2A,3A and 4A.
Two silly oul monarchs in battle did join, each wanting his head on the back of a coin, if the irish had sense they would throw both in the boyne.

Val

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 12:54:48 AM »
Jemmy Hope,

I take it you are male then, was 1A & 2A  boys classes if so I guess I was in 1b & 2b then.   Where did you live?  I came from Norwood St.

Val

sandy girl

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 10:55:53 AM »
 O0

Hi I too went to kelvin I was in 1P1 I left in 1966 I also went to Blythe street primary

sandy girl

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 10:57:53 AM »
I too came from Sandy Row. Boyne Square

fat bass

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 03:20:50 PM »
I was wondering if anyone on the forum went to kelvin secondary school and mabye have old school pictures they can post or stories they can share.

I was there in the 80s up to it closed. I was from Sandy Row and have long moved away, but finding this forum has made me remember back.

If anyone remembers Mr Hewitt ,nesbitt, rusk, harry rubber hands (woodwork) and of course old fred Mr hewitts lab assist that was short a few screws but always worth a laugh.

Kathleen2

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 04:30:17 PM »
I was wondering if anyone on the forum went to kelvin secondary school and mabye have old school pictures they can post or stories they can share.

I was there in the 80s up to it closed. I was from Sandy Row and have long moved away, but finding this forum has made me remember back.

If anyone remembers Mr Hewitt ,nesbitt, rusk, harry rubber hands (woodwork) and of course old fred Mr hewitts lab assist that was short a few screws but always worth a laugh.

I went to Kelvin school although it was years before you were there ( 1962 -65 I think). I remember Mr Hewitt. Mr Parker was headmaster when I was there. If you go the Friends Reunited website you will find some photos of Kelvin School, it's teachers and puplis. Great memories of that school :)
" Tell them for their tomorrow, we gave our today"
A World War 1 soldier.

In memory of my grandfather, James McGimpsey. 9th Royal Scots.

Shylock

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 01:50:10 PM »
I went to Fane Street School - think there was some rivalry between the 2 schools back in the 60's! but I won''t hold it against you, cos you went to Kelvin! We lived in Donegall Avenue and I had an Uncle who had a shoe repair shop in Roden Street.

geordie2

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 03:22:29 PM »
I also went to Fane street but in the 40s we won the school boys football cup 1944 the final was at Cliftonville, great memories

chat0417

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 01:21:13 PM »
Hi all,

Was wondering if there was anyone out there who has a pic of the old school Kelvin High school crest badge? The school was situated at the bottom of roden street. I have trailed the internet for this to no joy.So if some kind soul has one that would be great.

Thanks guys!!!

Miller

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 07:51:51 PM »
Had a quick look at Kelvin on FR - no pictures of blazers close enough to see the badge- I would suggest that you make a request on the Kelvin site-you never know a school blazer may still exist.