Author Topic: The Ideal Home Exhibition  (Read 2500 times)

eastender

The Ideal Home Exhibition
« on: September 24, 2006, 02:41:22 AM »
Who remembers the Ideal Home Exhibition at the King's Hall every year?

My memories of it are all kinds of food and cooking smells, along with the latest toy cars and men with cockney accents tryin to push all kinds of houseware rubbish on local ladies.  :D

What time of year was it? Was it connected with the Balmoral Show? Any photos of it?
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

Christopher

Re: The Ideal Home Exhibition
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 05:03:48 AM »
The Ideal Home's Exhibition at the King's Hall is still going. It took place a couple of weeks ago. It's usually held at the beginning of September. The BBC DJ Alan Freeman (known as Fluff) was there one year and Jimmy Shand and his band was there another year. He wasn't Sir Jimmy in those days. There were Fashion Shows several times a day and a Show House. It was a bit like the Balmoral Show as you collected loads of free leaflets and booklets which you took home in a plastic bag. Cars were parked all over the place. I think we had to park fairly far down Stockman's Lane one year.

eastender

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 05:14:29 AM »
I remember it was a fun night, with lots of food sampling and candy apples; almost enough to make me boke.  ;D I remember it was a school night, so September it was.

Wasn't there a track or raised floor around the interior walls?

Alan Freeman is still alive?? Wow!

eddiec

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 09:50:37 AM »
I remember going a few years ago... plenty of food etc though not many samples  ;)

Those sales guys are experts... make you feel like you couldnt live without whatever it is they're selling...
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

Christopher

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 01:30:05 PM »
eddie those guys can't live unless you purchase which accounts for that feeling you have about couldn't live etc. It's the seeing someone working for an honest wage. How can I explain it  ... those guys are a rare breed as they are not paid unless you fork out ... take people working in the ambulance service, the armaments industry, armed forces, fire brigade, government offices, hospitals, local council offices, the police, schools ... there's a long list where you have no choice ... you work at least six months paying them (it's called paying the government .... taxation) then when you go along to the Ideal Homes Exhibition and see a guy selling something you know you are watching someone different .. there's something special about those sales people. There's something special about cafes, chippies, pubs, restaurants and shops (large and small) ... these are just a few of the places where the second half of the year money goes .. you have more freedom of choice .. you are allowed to save this money .. put it into property or drink yourself silly which is an option taken by some people.

eddiec

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 11:33:05 PM »
I'm sorry Chris but I obviously haven't been as clear as I could...

I'm not talking the ones selling the food or the 50 different flavours of fudge... I'm taking the guys with the gift of the gab... wanting you to buy the latest mop (two for the price of one) - that set of kitchen knives (look at that knife block) or that little piece of plastic that has 101 attachments for slicing vegatables that when you get home gets used once and then goes in the cupboard cause its too much hassle... you listen to them and theyy can seem to mesmerise you with their spiel...

And... are you really saying that the ambulance service or the fire brigade dont give you good service cause there paid by the government???
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 01:00:25 PM »
I did not say any such thing eddie. I said you have no choice. You cannot phone Joe or Fred's ambulance service or fire brigade. They are the fixtures and fittings of your annual outgoings. I said the guy selling the mop or clever plastic item is a different type of person .. it's quite possible that unlike the fireman or ambulance driver he is not paid unless he makes a sale .. well that's what i intended to say. The fireman and ambulance man is paid whether he goes to a fire or not. Take a newsagent .. he is not paid until someone goes into his shop to make a purchase. He has outgoings no matter what happens .. as soon as the door opens he has overheads. That applies to all self employed people. Those employed by the state don't need to pay to put fuel into their ambulances and fire engines.

giannineo

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 09:56:15 PM »
The Ideal Homes Exhibiton was great for free samples and the selling of things you simply could not survie without.
   I may be wrong,but did the Telegraph have a "Mr.Presents" at the event?.If you carried a copy of the Tele with you ,and he spotted you, there was a fiver in it for you.The event might have even been organised/sponsored by the Tele.

eastender

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 06:51:18 AM »
dead on giannineo! I mind thon too. I do believe the tele sponsored it. yer right.

Y'have a good holiday? Are ye browned off or browned on?

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 05:26:45 PM »
I got a free Telegraph one year :D

giannineo

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »
Cheers Eastender.....holiday....mmmmmm......great holiday after we moved out of the Hotel Horrifico after one day,and found new accomodation sharing with one very large cockroach and then some flying ants---secret is to sleep with the lights on and the long legged beasties don't come out.Wife is brown and I managed a sort of radioactive pink hue.Never mind,the food and never ending cocktail of ouzo,Greek lager,Amaretto,Bailey's coffee,Schnapps,IRISH COFFEE(OF COURSE),Greek paint stripper posing as wine made for  great hoilday along with those wonderful Greek peeps.Going back next year by booking it ourselves from leving the hoose to returning.
            Browned off to be back at the perils of the NHS.

Taggart 009

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 09:09:57 PM »
I remember the Kings Hall Ideal Home Exhibition very well.  There used to be a house actually built right slap bang in the middle of it each year. I know this because it was my Dads company that built it.  They called it the "Show Home of the Year" 
I also remember the Kings Hall for the many many hours of fun I had ice skating in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Anyone remember that.?
Val.

Christopher

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 09:18:08 PM »
Welcome back Val 8)