Author Topic: The International Hotel..Donegal Square  (Read 12646 times)

Macca

Re: The International Hotel..Donegal Square
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 02:00:02 PM »
This is the full view.

eddiec

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 02:09:19 PM »
Macca...

Is that not a picture of Donegall Square North looking down Donegall Place.

Thats Robinson and Cleavers on the corner...

The building on the far left is the Linen Hall Library...
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.  <i>Mark Twain</i>

Macca

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 02:10:55 PM »
OOps sorry bout that....Thanks Eddie
 :-[
I think it might be this one.

Christopher

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 02:00:47 PM »
Macca, I don't recognise that picture as Donegall Square South. When was it taken ??? I looked for the International Hotel in the 1960 directory and it was not there. I think there was a change of name after 1960 .. 6-7 Donegall Square South was the Union Hotel. quarefellow mentions that in his post. I think .. I could be mistaken as I'm going back forty odd years that the Union Hotel was taken over by Harry Toner and the name changed.

Macca

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 08:02:03 AM »
Hi  Christopher. That picture was a small section blown up from a postcard of the City Hall, taken around the end of WW1 judging by the vehicles on the street in front of the Hall. I think the building on the left was 1-3 designed by John Lanyon in 1874 and demolished in 1969.
The sign over what I presume are Nos 4 & 5 is "London Guarantee & Accident Co Ltd".
If their address is listed in a directory it could confirm if it's Donegal Square South.
My g-g-g-grandfather Adam McClean, built the terrace of houses in 1812, No 5 was the family home until about 1880.

Twocoats

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 01:12:07 AM »
Spent my Honeymoon night at the International hotel on the 30th June 1967. Close to o years. Same lovely wife. On another note. When I was a young lad and went downtown to Smithfield etc in the late fifties I used to get the Mt Merrion bus outside the International to go home. The Kitchen must have been in the basement cos we could smell the cooking coming through vents on the pavement at the side of the Hotel. Bedford Street I think. Coats

Twocoats

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 01:12:43 AM »
That would be 40 years. Coats

Twocoats

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 08:17:35 PM »
Might get remarried to the wife this June

peejay

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »
 :)i stayed at the interntional for 2 weeks in august 1968,i and an english friend were working on a ship ,a bulk carrier of 250,000 tons the largest to be built at that time in any british yard. i was living in england  and working for a firm making control systems for electrical units. i had my meals in the staff canteen in the old drawing offices,the people there informed me they were launching oil rigs from the shipyard. i enjoyed my stay,i told my english friend i had to leave belfast in 1956 go to england get my trade study further then return to the belfast shipyard a roundabout way to get into that place

IrishKiwi Gal

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 11:52:57 PM »
Had many a good Turkey Dinner at the International & had first night of marriage there in 1967.

casper

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2010, 06:43:59 AM »
Just came across this thread.  Have wonderful memories of watching the home international rugby matches in the early 70's in the downstairs lounge at the "Inter";- over several pints!  Saturdays just don't seem the same after 30 years marriage & 3 kids....Great venue

REP1

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »
The International Hotel, was owned by John McGratten who also owned McGrattens fruit distributors for many years in Belfast.
was at many a wedding and good function there.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

kaput210

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 04:38:24 PM »
I remember meeting the love affair in the international in the 60's

Mitcher

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 05:30:54 PM »
I remember all our families in our Street having to be sent to the International Hotel because there was a bomb outside the Telephone House in Cromac Street and the houses around it were evacuated.  That was around 1972/73.  We left around 4.00am

sj

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 05:07:20 AM »
About the late sixties a young barman from thr hotel was found dead in Malvern St and I believe was the first casualty of the troubles.It was a great place and some of the staff went onto greater things.   I know a bloke who served his apprenticeship as a assistant trainee manager and who now is the general manager of a Hilton Hotel in Arizona. ;)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy