Author Topic: Courtaulds  (Read 7448 times)

Christopher

Courtaulds
« on: November 12, 2008, 08:09:14 PM »
During the second half of the twentieth century Courtaulds had a number of factories in Northern Ireland. Answers.com only refers to the one in Limavady but there were also factories at Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim and also in Co. Armagh. www.answers.com/topic/courtaulds

The National Archives website mentions a number of places holding records of employees of Courtaulds www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=B3174

Eleanor

Re: Courtaulds
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:25:52 AM »
During the second half of the twentieth century Courtaulds had a number of factories in Northern Ireland. Answers.com only refers to the one in Limavady but there were also factories at Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim and also in Co. Armagh. www.answers.com/topic/courtaulds

The National Archives website mentions a number of places holding records of employees of Courtaulds www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=B3174

There was a Courtaulds opposite Rathcoole estate in Newtownabbey. My father worked there in the early seventies.
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

andy

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 08:26:11 PM »
hi Chris,  i worked as a spinner [process worker] in courtaulds carickfergus
              factory until they closed the tyre cord spinning, then it was last in
              first out  [union rule]
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

Mc Corry

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 08:14:02 PM »
I was in Courtaulds Polymer plant Carrickfergus for about 6 years met some good people there I was on B shift. That was where i learnt to play solo whist and when a game of poker was on I was so bad that when I bet more than twice everyone new I had a good hand. Only place I knew had rest rooms many happy memories when we wern't out on strike.

Eleanor

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 11:32:02 AM »
My father worked at Courtaulds in Newtownabbey in the early seventies. He was disabled and they didn't have a job he was able to do, so they created one for him, staff driver. They were wonderful employers. Sadly he had to give up work altogether in 1973.
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

stickyra

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 12:02:23 PM »
It seems that everyone from Newtownabbey's Da worked in Courtaulds in the 70s.  That was the case with most people I knew back then.
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

harrydunn

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 09:34:41 PM »
The Clarion hotel which is on the site of what used to be Cortauld's Social club is to be converted into appartments a new luxury hotel with swimming pool is to be built at the rear of the complex, Lidl are also to build a shop here and S.E.R.E. a car showroom. the old cooling tower was demolished some time ago and they have been dismantling an old building in the same area for over a year now.   

sj

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 03:29:54 AM »
Harry

I thought that the site of the factory had been declared a contaminated site. O0
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

Sheila A

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 04:38:54 AM »
There was a Courtaulds opposite Rathcoole estate in Newtownabbey. My father worked there in the early seventies.

My brother in law worked there also, he and my sister used to live in Rathcoole until they were put out and they moved to Bawnmore
Sheila A :)

Headline boat man

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 06:43:04 AM »
And vice versa. :'( :'(

harrydunn

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »
Harry

I thought that the site of the factory had been declared a contaminated site. O0
Part of the site is contaminated the people in the new bungalows which are built on part of the site are not allowed to grow root vegetables in their gardens because of this i think this was only discovered a few years after building otherwise the site should never have been sold for housing.

22may

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 09:24:13 PM »
IWORKED   ON EXTENSIONS STEEL ERECTING  AND RIGGING THEN MOVED  ICI  DOIN THE SAME

Headline boat man

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 07:23:02 AM »
Which vegetables are not root vegetables. :2funny: :2funny:

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
Years ago when I worked on the permanant way in the railway
anytime we worked on the track at the rear of Courtaulds, there
was always yellow/orange smoke coming out of the chimney, when
we finished for the day and when we took our money out of our pockets
the silver was all black...??????
We never make mistakes, we just gain experience.

harrydunn

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 05:50:26 PM »
Take it your not a gardener then Headline? root vegetables are those which have the edible part growing in the ground ,i.e. carrots, parsnip ,potatoes etc,etc,