Author Topic: Paddy Hopkirk - a link  (Read 2924 times)

Christopher

Paddy Hopkirk - a link
« on: June 01, 2006, 01:25:55 PM »
1964 A Belfast Rally driver wins the Monte Carlo Rally His name was Paddy Hopkirk from Bangor, Co. Down. He had two brothers Eric and Frank. Frank, I think, was in the hotel business. Eric helped Paddy in the motor accessory business which Paddy opened sometime after winning the Monte. That was a great Rally in the old days. Starting points in several major European cities. All the cars covering different routes to get to a common route and on to Monte Carlo itself. The BBC did excellent reports of the event on the radio. Raymond Baxter was a keen motoring man. He is the man who later presented Tomorrow's World. One year the BBC entered a London Taxi in the Monte. Ian Appleyard drove an Jaguar XK120. Something makes me think his wife's name was Pat. That was also the name of the sister of Stirling Moss. Pat Moss, though better known as an equestrian, tried her hand at rallying. She married another rally person, Eric Carlsson. Pat retanied her maiden name and became known as Pat Moss Carlsson. Sheila Van Dam, whose family owned the Windmill Theatre in London, drove for the Roote Group as did the attractive Dublin fashion designer .. Rosemary Smith. 

eastender

Re: Paddy Hopkirk - a link
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 03:48:13 AM »
I was friends with the grandsons of a Belfast insurance assessor called Stewart Marshall.

Stewart used to drive a wee whilt Austin A35, previously owned and raced by Paddy Hopkirk.

Stewart used to enjoy telling the stories about many challenges given him by driver's of bigger cars at traffic light stops. Stewart gummed the souped up A35 and blew them away. At that time, Syewart was about 60, so no spring chicken.
People want to know how much you care, before they care how much you know.

giannineo

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 10:23:18 AM »
Eastender,one of my mates had an A35 ,same clour as the pic shown.It was known as the pan loaf.35 years on.a mate in Scotland is rebuilding one.The Irish one was known as the pan loaf.I remember Paddy Hopkirk taking part in the Monte Carlo Rally.He was lying about sixth and was referred to as the Irish driver.Suddenly when he looked like winning it he became a British driver.He had a car accessories shop in Belfast .Did he amrry Adrien McGull a presenter with U.T.V.?

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 01:39:08 PM »
Would that be Adrienne McGill or Magill, giannineo ??? Did she present a children's programme on UTV. Was she known as Miss Adrienne or was another presenter known as Miss Someone? I seem to remember hearing Anna Ford was a niece of Paddy Hopkirk.

A friend of mine, John Donnan from Holywood, had an A30. His dad, Dr Hilary Donnan was the school doctor at Rockport. John had an attractive sister named Helen. I remember meeting them at a party ... maybe they were the hosts .. in a hotel just as you go up the rise from the Palace Barracks to Holywood. Was that called the Loughview Hotel. It was knocked down several years ago.

John and I were at Rockport and St Columba's together. John worked in Sirocco and was in India for a while. Another Rockport guy, John Chambers, lived at Fintona. These days he lives on the outskirts of Omagh. He builds fences for equestrian events. David Wormwell and Bill King-Wood were at Rockport. David is an old Columban. He told me, the last time we met, he was in the oil business. His Dad was the manager of the paper mill in Larne. Bill another Larne man was in the merchant navy as was James Irvine, the son of a master at Rockport. Miss Kaye was the Matron at the school and Miss Burgess was the assistant Matron. Mrs Bates, wife of Professor Bates, and Mrs Garner, wife of Colonel Garner, taught at the school as did a Miss Anderson. Mr Watson came from Bangor .. his daughter Fiona was an attractive blonde. Mr McFadden joined the Church and went to South Africa.

giannineo

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 10:33:43 PM »
Sounds right Christopher,must get new keyboard or learn how to type.
   As far as I know,Anna Ford's first husband was Alan Bittles who was a mate of my eldest bruv. at Methody.
        Adrienne Mc Gill or Mc Guill was a looker.
    As for Rockport,I played against Rockport for Methody u13 hockey team.We were treated royally and given a slap up tea afterwards.We were each assigned a Rockport boy and changed in the dorms.Excellent hospitality which probaly wouldn't have been returned at Methody.We were all at least a year older than the Rockport boys.
     I marginally escaped Boarding at Methody.My parents' idea was that if I went to board I would progress academically as Boarders were sent to classromms at night and supervised doing homework.My sister pleaded with my parents not to send me,she succeeded, and I was saved from a fate worse than chewing a mouthful of wasps.

four-stroke

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 07:47:54 PM »
Did Adrienne Mc Gill not marry one of the Catherwoods? I think she did. But what about Anne Nimmons?