Author Topic: Belfast Orphanages  (Read 12396 times)

Christopher

Belfast Orphanages
« on: January 23, 2009, 06:47:29 PM »
Frances O'Reilly's book "Suffer the Little Children", which tells her story about life in the Poor Sisters of Nazareth Orphanage on the Ormeau Road during the 1950s and 1960s,
has just been published by Orion Books.

Eleanor

Re: Belfast Orphanages
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 06:53:52 PM »
I knw a girl in the 60s and 70s who lived in the orphanage on the Antrim Road nearFortwilliam Park. I can't remember thw name or who ran it.
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

stickyra

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 08:42:15 AM »
Williamson House.  It was closed down in disgrace in the eighties because of the abuse scandal.  I knew a lot of those kids, might well know the girl you are talking about Eleanor but I don't want to mention her name for confidentiality.
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

Cunningham

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 04:30:26 AM »
I was placed in St Josephs baby home in Belfast and later transferred to Nazareth House (Lodge) around 2 yrs old where I stayed until I was 6 years 1963-1969 anyone else there during that time?

stickyra

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »
Wasn't there, Cunninham, but I lived near it and my ma used to take some kids out for the day every week.  We might be oul buddies!
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

bnf

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 10:32:01 PM »
Frances O'Reilly's book "Suffer the Little ChildrenOrion Books.
christopher,
sorry to correct you, but
FRANCES REILLY   SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN
ORION BOOKS    £10.99
bnf    O0
" The Fox knows many things,
    but the Hedgehog knows one big thing. "
    ARCHILOCHUS.

Cancer2003

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 11:37:25 PM »
Hi Folks.

Hopefully someone can help a newbie in distress - lol!

Wonder if anyone would be able to tell me the name of names and addresses of orphanages (probably catholic) in Belfast from between 1902 - 1920 ?

At the moment I'm trying to find out any info regarding EDWARD FRANCIS MURRAY. I think Edward may have been illegitimate. Perhaps he was registered with his mother's maiden name (Murray??) He could of course be the child of a protestant father and catholic mother and that is why he was in an orphanage.

The information I have on Edward Murray (my G/Father on the paternal side) is from his marriage cert.

Edward got married on the 6th August 1927, at Holy Cross RC Church, Standish Point, Liverpool. Aged 25. Address is 29 Marlborough Street, Liverpool, that Edward was residing at (this was my Nan's family home).   

My paternal grandparents' marriage is:

Marriages Sept 1927
Dilworth Annie L Murray Liverpool 8b 316
Murray Edward F Dilworth Liverpool 8b 316

Edward's Father's name was Michael Murray (deceased,that's what it said on the marr cert) & that Michael had been a Dock Laborer (that's what it said on the marr cert)

However as a child I'd been led to believe that Edward has spent his childhood in a Belfast orphanage!

Also what's your opinion on this info I found last night?

Name: Edward Murray
  Registration district: Belfast
  Record type: BIRTHS
  Registration date - quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1903
  Estimated birth year:
  Film number: 101069
  Volume: 1
  Page: 384
  Digital GS number: 4193983
  Image number: 00577
  Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958.

Many many thanks in advance

Regards Nicky x

D H

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »
Frances O'Reilly's book "Suffer the Little Children", which tells her story about life in the Poor Sisters of Nazareth Orphanage on the Ormeau Road during the 1950s and 1960s,
I am not at all happy to see a photo of myself as a child in nazareth house in the papers. You should have respected the other kids privacy and blanked them out of the photo.I find it odd that Frances taught herself to read & write, We were in the same class & got a good education.even though we were sent out of class to do a bit of cleaning,I passed the 11+exam.Yes jeyes fluid was put in the bath but we were not scrubbed with it by the nuns.We had outings to the Ormeau Park & at xmas we went to parties in taxies up the Falls Rd.We had sweets from the tuck shop.Although Nazareth House wasnt a good place to be I would not compare it to the Magdaline Laundrys.
D O Donoghue

Eleanor

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 08:37:52 PM »
I am not at all happy to see a photo of myself as a child in nazareth house in the papers. You should have respected the other kids privacy and blanked them out of the photo.I find it odd that Frances taught herself to read & write, We were in the same class & got a good education.even though we were sent out of class to do a bit of cleaning,I passed the 11+exam.Yes jeyes fluid was put in the bath but we were not scrubbed with it by the nuns.We had outings to the Ormeau Park & at xmas we went to parties in taxies up the Falls Rd.We had sweets from the tuck shop.Although Nazareth House wasnt a good place to be I would not compare it to the Magdaline Laundrys.
D O Donoghue

D H, I think you can only object to a photo in a paper if you own the photo and it has been published without your permission.
Hate the sin, but love the sinner

D H

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »
I would like to make it clear that I took no part  what so ever in this book Suffer the Little Children.
This book was written long before the author contacted me.
I have also made it clear I want my name removed from the acknowledgements.
D O Donoghue

Andi

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 12:53:08 PM »
D H

I can see you feel really strongly about this and, although I don't know the ins and outs about the rights of publishing photographs, I agree that permission should have been sought from you.  The author has a moral obligation (to the person involved) but I would have thought the publisher would have insisted on some kind of permission being obtained.   :-\

D H

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 05:01:38 PM »
It is not so much the photo that I feel annoyed and very angry about. it is mainly the contents of the book.  The nuns were certainly no angels  but no way as bad as this book makes out. I dont know if you have read it but one thing we did get in there was an education.  I knew nothing about the contents of the book till I read it last week. I was furious as I was reading it.  Theres just too much that doesnt add up and yes I was in N House, in the same group as this person and in the same class. D O Donoghue

glenb

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 05:37:39 PM »
We brought home a boy every year from the Nazareth Lodge when I was a young lad, we didn't have much but we shared, his name was Tony Bradley...I hope and pray everything went well for him in life

pussy-galore

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 06:18:12 PM »
We brought home a boy every year from the Nazareth Lodge when I was a young lad, we didn't have much but we shared, his name was Tony Bradley...I hope and pray everything went well for him in life

What does that mean?  ???

Andi

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 06:18:35 PM »
Hi D H

I haven't read it and, although I try to 'support' local writers, doubt if I will ever read it.  I tend to avoid the mis-lit genre mostly because there seems to be a saturation overall of such books.  I read Angela's Ashes years ago and don't think I've ever read that type of book again.  I can't comment on either your or Frances Reilly's experiences at Nazareth House but I can see you feel very strongly about the whole situation and hope things get resolved for you.