Author Topic: Austin's veg shop off Botanic Avenue  (Read 4421 times)

Eileenov

Austin's veg shop off Botanic Avenue
« on: February 10, 2009, 10:31:52 PM »
Long before supermarkets, this was a fantastic shop. always got our Christmas tree here.Loved Botanic Avenue in those pre troubles days! Great childhood memories.

Jon B

Re: Austin's veg shop off Botanic Avenue
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 12:09:52 PM »

Botanic Ave has always been 1 of my favourite places in town, think it might be the
  trees.

Knights music store was always a favourite, not even sure if its there any more.

tboy

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 07:43:22 PM »
  Botanic Ave has always been 1 of my favourite places in town, think it might be the
  trees.

Knights music store was always a favourite, not even sure if its there any more.

there was a guy called'apple' austin in the bone , must have been a relation of the fruit and veg. people in botanic :)

irishblueeyes

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 08:54:46 PM »
Yes yes, I remember Autin's well Eileen...my mother sent me to buy spuds etc...we lived in Wolseley St...strange I have just mentioned Austin's in another thread...Austin himself was a strange bird...but Belfast was full of them!!

Seán McGrady

Eileenov

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:11:31 PM »
Sean,
lovely to read that someone else remembers Austin. I went to school with his niece. He was rather eccentric, but I think a lot of students and families depended on him for fresh fruit and veg, in the days before supermarkets. I too remember being sent most days for dinner items! I knew Wolsley Street very well! :)

irishblueeyes

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 12:07:48 PM »
Austin was eccentric Eileen, you are quite right...

Where did/do you live Eileen?

In addition to Big & wee Bob's in McClure street, do you remember Gilmore's corner shop on Cromwell Road. Gilmore used to be a policeman, and my father always said, with reference to his extortionate prices, that he was on the wrong side of the bars...

Eileenov

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 02:17:46 PM »
Austin was eccentric Eileen, you are quite right...

Where did/do you live Eileen?

In addition to Big & wee Bob's in McClure street, do you remember Gilmore's corner shop on Cromwell Road. Gilmore used to be a policeman, and my father always said, with reference to his extortionate prices, that he was on the wrong side of the bars...
Irishblueeyes, your father was so right. In order of shopping late at night or on a Sunday, it would be Wee Bobbies, Big Bobbies and if really stuck Dixie Gilmore's. He was a rip-off price wise.
I'm not sure if you know that he went on to become a Councillor in Belfast City Hall and Lord Mayor at least once!I don't know if there is a shop there anymore. Eileenov

scoones

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
No Dixie Gilmore died a couple of years ago. He had retired and went to live in Dromara. His wife Esme is still there and the last I heard was going strong. I also came from the University area off Cromwell Road and remember Grants, Leonards, Trurkington's, Mullans,  Donaghys, Campbells and Wilkingson families. Wonder what happened to them?

irishblueeyes

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 08:23:53 PM »
Irishblueeyes, your father was so right. In order of shopping late at night or on a Sunday, it would be Wee Bobbies, Big Bobbies and if really stuck Dixie Gilmore's. He was a rip-off price wise.
I'm not sure if you know that he went on to become a Councillor in Belfast City Hall and Lord Mayor at least once!I don't know if there is a shop there anymore. Eileenov

You are kidding me Eileen...he became Lord Mayor?

My mother used to send me ther for a quarter of Riley's Chocoltae toffee rolls...I can see her chewing them now in front of the fire...dear dear, what simple pleasures..

irishblueeyes

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »
No Dixie Gilmore died a couple of years ago. He had retired and went to live in Dromara. His wife Esme is still there and the last I heard was going strong. I also came from the University area off Cromwell Road and remember Grants, Leonards, Trurkington's, Mullans,  Donaghys, Campbells and Wilkingson families. Wonder what happened to them?

Wasn't his wife of a foreign, not to say "exotic" origin? Gilmore used to do this little trick when giving you the change...he would put one hand on the counter with nothing in it and make a noise with the change with  the other under the counter...when you went to pick up the change there was nothing there...clever and annoying..

irishblueeyes

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 08:44:54 PM »
Scoones..do you know the McAleers from  cromwell road...Desi and PJ McAleer were very good friends of my brother and I...I lived in Wolseley Street...

...the names you mention are all familiar...

Eileenov

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 10:01:13 PM »
I also remember The Wilkinson name. One of their sons is Dessi Wilkinson, rather famous Traditional Irish musician. I could be wrong but I think he lives in Galway or somewhere like that. I also know of Celine Leonard and her sister( forgotten her name). Their mum was a childminder, one of the first. There was also a Norma Mullan and The Phoenix Family of Cromwell Rd. It's all coming back again!Eileenov

Eileenov

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Wasn't his wife of a foreign, not to say "exotic" origin? Gilmore used to do this little trick when giving you the change...he would put one hand on the counter with nothing in it and make a noise with the change with  the other under the counter...when you went to pick up the change there was nothing there...clever and annoying..
Sean.
I think Esme was from Malaysia. They also had a son Stephen. I do remember the annoying tricks with the change! :)

Eileenov

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 10:12:33 PM »
Austin who owned the veg shop lived in Canterbury Street off Cromwell Rd. I went to school with his neice Mary Heathwood from Fitzroy Avenue.

irishblueeyes

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 11:17:27 PM »
Sean.
I think Esme was from Malaysia. They also had a son Stephen. I do remember the annoying tricks with the change! :)

Fantastic that you remember that Eileen...

Do you remember Beattie's barbers at the bottom of University Street? Not that you would have first hand experience of him...but it was quite an experience getting one of his haircuts...a variety of one style...

There was a more trendy one near the arts theatre on Botanic avenue...but a bit too pricey...