Author Topic: James Mackie & Sons  (Read 718705 times)

zazooooo

stevieboy

Re: James Mackie & Sons
« Reply #451 on: August 07, 2011, 04:03:09 PM »
Was offered a gaffers job in Mackies when I came out of my time in the early 70s. Didn't fancy the brown coat and compulsory `ulcer`so I went to sea instead. Never regretted a moment of life at sea.

moorsy

« Reply #452 on: August 08, 2011, 07:16:25 PM »
Came across my old union card dated jan.1966 in Mackies.  Section 5,  A.j. Hall, secretary,  H.McGuigan, president.   My old Check # in the Foundry was 2705.
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

btheboot

« Reply #453 on: August 11, 2011, 01:45:21 AM »
Lambes Barber shop was on the corner of Mayo Street opposite Parks bakery shop. My father went to Lambes all the time and talked me into going when I was a kid. Lamb/e always found fault with how it was cut and left me embarassed. So I never went back and told my dad so.  i had a lot of hair cuts in lambs, lived in highfield and when i started looking like i had been sold to the gypses i was dragged to lambs, literally, and had his version of  short back and sides.

sean d

« Reply #454 on: August 11, 2011, 01:51:44 AM »

I remember well lambes butcher shop but never lambes pub
live everyday as your last, because some day it will be :)

stevieboy

« Reply #455 on: August 11, 2011, 01:44:37 PM »
Remember The `Divis Castle ` pub, The `White Horse Inn` , Nellie Dougans sweet shop, next to the Franklin laundry and the wee sweet shop next to Mackie`s Woodvale factory. Also remember, Baird's shop corner of Ainsworth Ave, the men who served behind the counter wore white coats as I recall. Also there was a laundrette a few doors up from Baird's I think.

chink

« Reply #456 on: August 11, 2011, 01:46:49 PM »
Remember The `Divis Castle ` pub, The `White Horse Inn` , Nellie Dougans sweet shop, next to the Franklin laundry and the wee sweet shop next to Mackie`s Woodvale factory. Also remember, Baird's shop corner of Ainsworth Ave, the men who served behind the counter wore white coats as I recall. Also there was a laundrette a few doors up from Baird's I think.
there  was a  laundrette ansnd  a chippy    bairds  shop  was  family  run   father mother and son   

stevieboy

« Reply #457 on: August 13, 2011, 11:24:57 AM »
Worked in Woodvale factory, remember the following gaffers: Conn Keys (paint shop) Harry Marcus (spinning shop) Joe Frame (card shop) Jimmy Gray (sub assembly) Big McCord (electricians) Glynn Patrick (manager) ? Moulds (tufting unit) and the following who were in charge of experimental units in Woodvale factory. Bob McTier, a gentleman (Exp no 4) Wee Tommy McKeown, Snobby Morrison (Exp No 12) and of course the `Hills` who seemed to be in charge of just about everything.
Old saying : In Mackies you can climb a mountain, but you will never get over a `Hill`.

boxer1949

« Reply #458 on: August 13, 2011, 12:13:56 PM »

stevieboy

« Reply #459 on: August 14, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »
http://vimeo.com/4180990 PART 1  http://vimeo.com/4180990 PART 2

Great video, parts 1 & 2. Brings back a lot of happy memories they do.

sonofshanks

« Reply #460 on: August 14, 2011, 02:09:11 PM »
I remember a well known rate fixer (who shall remain nameless) in the main factory who was well known for his stingy rates. He took a heart attack and was off work for 6 months or so. On his return to work, the younger lads in the department would blow up paper bags, follow the rate fixer around and then explode the bags behind him. Could only have happened in Mackies.
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

zazooooo

« Reply #461 on: August 14, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »
 :D  very good

I remember a well known rate fixer (who shall remain nameless) in the main factory who was well known for his stingy rates. He took a heart attack and was off work for 6 months or so. On his return to work, the younger lads in the department would blow up paper bags, follow the rate fixer around and then explode the bags behind him. Could only have happened in Mackies.

moorsy

« Reply #462 on: August 14, 2011, 04:45:57 PM »

Really enjoyed the videos. During the war,Mackies got the best of machinery from the states to produce armaments.
I remember working on Cincinnati and Milwaukee milling machines that were like brand new.

The guys were right about the Experimental shops, they were a little world of there own. Loved working in Exp. #3.
i,m out of my mind,but feel free to leave a message.

sonofshanks

« Reply #463 on: August 15, 2011, 03:02:43 PM »

Really enjoyed the videos. During the war,Mackies got the best of machinery from the states to produce armaments.
I remember working on Cincinnati and Milwaukee milling machines that were like brand new.

The guys were right about the Experimental shops, they were a little world of there own. Loved working in Exp. #3.

I worked in Experimental no: 2,4,10 & 12
Moorsy: Exp no: 3. Was that `Bungalow Graceys` by any chance?
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

stevieboy

« Reply #464 on: August 15, 2011, 03:06:33 PM »
Sonof: Would the ratefixer in Question have been Billy `Santa`McCommish by any chance?