Author Topic: a village inn in Derryaghy  (Read 6704 times)

doe

a village inn in Derryaghy
« on: January 12, 2007, 06:12:56 PM »
In my family history, there was an inn in Derryaghy called "Travellers Rest". It became a public house in 1893 and was owned by the Alderdice family. It was still standing in 1972. Is there anyone who can tell me anything more about this inn and is there anyone who would have a picture of it, I would love to see it. Jane Alderdice would have been my great grandmother.Thank you, Dorothy

acheux_rifleman

Re: a village inn in Derryaghy
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 07:49:51 PM »
In my family history, there was an inn in Derryaghy called "Travellers Rest". It became a public house in 1893 and was owned by the Alderdice family. It was still standing in 1972. Is there anyone who can tell me anything more about this inn and is there anyone who would have a picture of it, I would love to see it. Jane Alderdice would have been my great grandmother.Thank you, Dorothy

Hi there Dorothy - despite some of the comments below, the bar was always one of my favourite wee drinking establishments when I lived in Lambeg. Thought the following may be of interest?

Derriaghy Village Inn: "The Travellers' Rest"
The parish memoir records that there were in 1837 14 public houses in the parish of Derriaghy, but none is named, despite the fact that the Travellers' Rest in Derriaghy is one of Ireland's oldest licensed houses, dating back nearly 300 years. The inn suffered grievous bomb damage in the recent violence but has been rebuilt.
Fortunately we have a brief description published about 1936 and supplied by Mr. Stanley Hutchinson which mentions "the spacious old-fashioned kitchen with a high ceiling of old varnished wood with windows clasped in walls a foot thick".

On 15th August, 1975, Cecil Anderson, a 51 year old Protestant was killed in bomb attack on Travellers Rest Inn, Derriaghy, near Belfast.

Also, a petrol bomb was thrown at a pub in Lisburn early in the morning of 7th July, 2001, causing minor damage to the premises. The fire was discovered at around 2am.

Early last century "Daniel O'Connell stopped at Derriaghy Inn with ten steaming horses. The famous Irishman was on his way to Belfast and the glasses which he used on that occasion were treasured for many years afterwards, just as he left them.

Near this inn is a historic postman's shelter which has served generations of local postmen."

The postman's shelter was removed a few years ago; the outline of where it was situated is all that remains.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also added this link - you may have already seen it, but just in case you haven't, have a look at the 'townland of Derriaghy' - it identifies Edward, William and Matthew Alderdice as paying Parochial Rates as levied against landowners under the Vestry Act in 1844 and 1845.

Also some other good links from this site that may be of use - sorry, haven't had the time to look through them all!!

As you don't have easy access to the inn (it's a long way from Derriaghy to Canada...), I'll see if I can get a picture over the coming weekend - yep, it's still there!!

Best Wishes,

Acheux.

http://www.lisburn.com/books/derriaghy/derriaghy5.html

doe

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 08:49:07 PM »
Hi Acheux,
  Never in a million years was I expecting an answer to this, I just thought that I would try. The inn is 300 yrs old just imagine! I am thrilled with your news of this place.  Oh, if those walls could talk. The little bit I knew of the inn was what I had entered here,it came from my research trying to find information of the John Partridge who married Jane Alderdice, had 12 children and one was my grandfather Boomer.He died when I was really young so I can only go by what has been passed down.
How far is Derryaghy from Belfast and far is it from Lisburn? could you tell me please. I am looking forward to seeing the  picture of "Travellers Rest."  I just have to get over there. Thank you so much, Dorothy

acheux_rifleman

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 09:38:39 PM »
Hi again Dorothy and thanks for the kind reply!!

The inn is now right on the the outskirts of both Belfast and what is now known as Lisburn City???

From the Belfast centre it is about 7 miles and about 3 from the centre of Lisburn.

If there is anything else you want checked in the surrounding area, just let me know. The Rest is just up the road from the parish church, and I also know the curator and one of the research assistants at the Lisburn Linen Museum.

Also, just had a quick check on the link I supplied, and sure enough, there is a John and also a Daniel Partidge.  Also a George Boomer, listed next to them, under the townland of  Aughalislone, Derriaghy.

I've also spotted Rennie and Benjamin Boomer under the Derriaghy townland.  There's a 'widow' Boomer under Bally-Collin, a Michael and a John Boomer under Magheralave, a John Partridge Snr under Legmore (now Lagmore in Poleglass), another Rennie Boomer under Mullaglass, with another entry under Aughalislone for the same name.

I have two Jonathan Boomer's under Aughnahough and the name appearing again under the townland of Clougher. Rennie Boomer reappears under the townland of Upper Ballymacward also.

Also note at the bottom of the link, the difference in spellings of both Rennie Boomer and the name Partridge, between the 1844 and the 1845 entries.

Have added a 70's map of the area that will hopefully be of use to you. It does identify the Traveller's Rest. Google Earth is always a good way of plotting the exact location?

Let me know of anything else I can do.

Best Wishes,

Acheux.

acheux_rifleman

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 02:02:38 PM »
Hi again Dorothy.

Was up in Belfast this morning so took a wee diversion off to Derriaghy.

Here is a pic of the 'Traveller's Rest' - they must have read your thread as they've just renamed it 'The Village Inn'...

Best Wishes,

Acheux

acheux_rifleman

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 02:29:47 PM »
Hi again Dorothy.

Sorry, had to e-mail the pic of the 'Rest' to you directly.

Yet again, file too large to upload to the site.

Bit of a shame....

Best Wishes,

Acheux.

doe

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 04:08:25 PM »
Hi again,  Thank you for the great picture. The building looks very big. Fancy, them just changing the name. In the 300 years, I imagine it has had a few names. I pictured  it made of stone and wonder what is under the stucco? I just love the history of old buildings. I will take the photo off and put it with my family tree. I might even get some *spare time*(whats that?)to do a painting of it. If you ever run across a picture of it "from way back" in some book or something,don't forget about me. Thanks again acheux,I truly appreciate this, Dorothy

pentio

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 04:57:29 PM »
Hi acheux

Photo of Traveller's Rest resized for you  

regards

pentio.

acheux_rifleman

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 05:17:20 PM »
Sterling work Pentio!!

Many thanks!!

doe

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 01:30:34 AM »
Hi Pentio,
Fantastic job,  That will save some time for me. Everyone has been so helpful.  It is difficult when you are in another country and so many N.Ireland records have been destroyed. thanks again, Dorothy

pentio

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 02:00:44 AM »
Dorothy

no problem it's a great Forum and everyone does their bit to help out....if you need anything just give me a shout.

Christopher

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 11:07:40 PM »
Hiya Dorothy,

There's an entry for Sarah Alderdice of Derriaghy in the 1912 Ulster Covenant. Would she be one of your ancestors?  What faith did your Alderdice ancestors follow? Records of churches and registers of schools
in the Derriaghy area may produce some members of the Alderdice family.

Christopher

doe

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 04:52:18 PM »
Hi Christopher,    You must have read all the information that acheux sent me. I was so happy to get all of that. The new owners of the Inn changed the name of the place just that day that he took the picture. As the building is over 300 years old, isn't there some kind of heritage law or something that it should stay the same?
your question------Everyone so far seems to be C of I. namely the.   Lisburn Cathedral.  Although there was Boomer's sister Nellie who has herself as Episcopalian. I understand that  is the U.S. name  for Anglican. Is there Episcopalians in N.I.?             I finally have found some info on my grandmother Leckey and when I get her birth cert. back I am going on with the Alderdice/Partridge history. I will write Sarah Alderdice down for near future research.  doe

stalightr

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 07:32:08 PM »
Hello I am William John Alderdice's great grand daughter was trying to find out also about the traveller's rest

doe

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 11:12:22 PM »
Hi starlightr, so happy to hear from a relative. Jane Alderdice and John Partridge were married and they ran the Inn,they were my gr grandparents.  I have to get my book out but I believe it was Edward that owned it first, not sure right now. please contact me on my email and we can share information.  It was up for sale last year and they changed the name again it was quite cheap.