Author Topic: Great Victoria Street Railway Station, Original Building.  (Read 3649 times)

Eileenov

I remember making many train journeys from Belfast direct to Sixmilecross with my mother. It was a wonderful route through lovely countryside. I wondered if anyone has any photographs of the original building, which I always thought was a great landmark in Great Victoria Street.

Val

Re: Great Victoria Street Railway Station, Original Building.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 02:47:01 AM »
Hi Eileenov,

I wish I had, my father worked there in the Office as a Payroll Clerk all his life. I lived 5mins walk from the GNR, I loved that station.  I hope someone can come up with a picture.

Val  :)

Eileenov

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 03:04:51 AM »
Hello Val,
it is nice to connect with someone who has had a personal connection with this building. It was always very special as it was the start of a journey which I loved to visit my grandmother in the Country Tyrone countryside. I've never seen many pictures of it, even in old books. As you say I may be lucky here. Eileenov

Val

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 03:11:13 AM »
Eileenov,

I must ask some of my family if they have any pictures of it. I will let you know if I find out anything. ...Val 

Val

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 03:24:43 AM »

Eileenov,

I just found this one on Google.

Val  ;)

Eileenov

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 11:47:08 AM »
Val,
thanks for the lovely picture. It was such a beautiful building. I do remember some years ago before I moved away from Belfast that there was a picture framing shop near to City Hall. It also sold pictures, one of which was GNR railway. I should have bought it at the time. Eileenov

homebird

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 02:54:58 PM »

The first railway line in Ulster opened on the 12th August 1839. It ran only 71/2 miles from Belfast to Lisburn but by 1842 the line extended to Portadown and by 1849 it reached Armagh. This was soon extended and the commercial success which ensued allowed the company, Ulster Railway, to build an imposing Belfast terminus and main office at Glengall Place (later part of Great Victoria St).
The building was completed in 1846 under the direction of John Goodwin, the company engineer who soon after became the first professor of civil engineering at the Queen's College, Belfast. The canopy over the approach drive was added later. In 1876 the Great Northern Railway Company was formed from the original Ulster Railway and several southern companies, so linking the whole Belfast to Dublin line under one management.
The main portion of the building was demolished in 1967 to make way for the Europa Hotel. The left hand pavilion and wing survived until 1974. Now only the engine shed with fine cast-iron survives as part of a bus station. The date of the photograph is c.1906, the time is 9.35 a.m. and the morning rush is over. 

Val

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 03:46:51 PM »
Thank you, thank you Homebird.

I really appreciate this picture, Eileenov was really interested so she will be so happy to see and of course it holds special memories for me as my Dad worked there.

You are a sweetheart.  .Val  :-* :-* 

Eileenov

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 03:52:11 PM »
Homebird and Val thanks again.
Homebird it is great to have this Forum and a user who is as helpful as you are. The picture is fantastic and captures alll those memories. Another building in Belfast City centre, which was so nice and imposing. For me anyway the present building and the statues outside, don't really do it!
Thanks
Eileen

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy