Author Topic: SNOOKER PLAYERS, I MEAN GOOD ONES.  (Read 12841 times)

doare.

Re: SNOOKER PLAYERS, I MEAN GOOD ONES.
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 05:34:19 AM »
paddy montgomery? was small with a high forehead, from the loney?
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

pajamo46

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 06:55:50 AM »
No he was about 5ft 11" and from ardoyne

brooksie

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 11:17:02 PM »
My father Sammy Brooks was a great snooker player, despite having one hand. He was the Irish(Eire) Amateur snooker champion in 1953,The Northern Ireland amateur champion in 1956.     His handicap prevented him from becoming a professional player. He played the best players at that time, Joe Davis,Fred Davis,Jackie Rea,John Pullman.

arder lavery

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 12:36:24 AM »
Meeting paddy today
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

dougie boy

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 07:56:48 PM »
Billy Sanlon used to play billiards in the North ,he would often say to me '' would you like an hours billiards son, would be lucky to get half a dozen shots but certainly learned a lot. I'm sure there was a billy seeds around at the time
If this is old age I hope I die young

Shankill Sam

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »
There are many great & good snooker players out there but myself, i can't see by higgy, he had everything[in snooker terms], true genius !
Ask not of what your country can do for you, Ask what you can do for your country !

jmac

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 10:13:14 PM »
Billy Sanlon used to play billiards in the North ,he would often say to me '' would you like an hours billiards son, would be lucky to get half a dozen shots but certainly learned a lot. I'm sure there was a billy seeds around at the time
Hi Dougie, did Billy live beside the North snooker club?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

sonofshanks

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 10:25:49 PM »
I mis-spent part of my youth at the North Belfast Working Men's Club in Danube Street. It had lots of very good (money) players at that time in the late 60s early 70s. Billy Sanlon, Davy Manderson, Sammy Wilson, Big Dip, The Doc, Sandy Foreman, to mention a few. I remember Sammy Wilson playing a challenge match against a guy, a bit of a 'loner' as I recall. Sammy would have been club champion at the time but the 'loner' beat him five nil. Oh, and the 'loner' was a certain Mr.A.Higgins who won the World Championship the next year.
I wanted to build a fortress, a bastion of invincibility.

Shankill Sam

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 10:59:30 PM »
I mis-spent part of my youth at the North Belfast Working Men's Club in Danube Street. It had lots of very good (money) players at that time in the late 60s early 70s. Billy Sanlon, Davy Manderson, Sammy Wilson, Big Dip, The Doc, Sandy Foreman, to mention a few. I remember Sammy Wilson playing a challenge match against a guy, a bit of a 'loner' as I recall. Sammy would have been club champion at the time but the 'loner' beat him five nil. Oh, and the 'loner' was a certain Mr.A.Higgins who won the World Championship the next year.
SONOFSHANKS,was it the same Davy Marsden that played darts with us in the jumna blues club ? what age would've he have been in 1982 do you think ? :)
Ask not of what your country can do for you, Ask what you can do for your country !

sonofshanks

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 11:19:48 PM »
SONOFSHANKS,was it the same Davy Marsden that played darts with us in the jumna blues club ? what age would've he have been in 1982 do you think ? :)

No it was Davy Manderson, not Marsden.  :)

Shankill Sam

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 12:16:20 AM »

No it was Davy Manderson, not Marsden.  :)
thanks for clearing that up for me SOS !

tommytwotoes

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 09:55:30 PM »
quite ironic wen you think that alex Higgins first love was to become a jockey ,he started playing snooker at 11 yrs old in the jam pot sandy row ,went to England at 14 to be a flat jockey but never made it went home to Belfast still only 16 took up snooker won loads of tournaments 1983 won the uk champion ships an then the world champion ship on his first attempt beaten j spencer rgds tommy
i never drop players ,i only make changes (shanks) justice for the 96

gubby

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 12:44:22 AM »
doarre when you watched players playing pool ipresume you ment  life or mugs pool  younger players  might think you watched 8 ball pool iloved playing life pool but loved it more when i was the marker .who got 6/d for each game      g
g allen

dougie boy

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2013, 08:51:30 PM »
table no 9 in the north was the money table in the 60's
If this is old age I hope I die young

sonofshanks

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »
table no 9 in the north was the money table in the 60's

Indeed it was and many a few bob changed hands there.