Author Topic: 1898 Belfast Street Directory  (Read 2704 times)

belljaf

1898 Belfast Street Directory
« on: October 16, 2009, 11:53:27 PM »
Was on the PRONI site and was able to gather information on Elliotts and Millings.   In 1897 my greatgrandmother, Catherine Milling was living at 17 Bagot Street with Mary Milling, her mother.  William Hugh Elliott, my greatgrandfather was living 33 Grosvenor Street with "Mrs. Elliott" his mother.  I need to know where they were living after they were married in May of 1897 which is where the 1898 Belfast Street Directory will come into play as I am trying to find out where my Great Uncle James Elliott, their first son, was born either in 1897 or 1898.  I am assuming that living with your parents was a thing of necessity when first starting a family in late 19 Century Ireland.  I hope there is a 1898 Belfast Street Directory.  Please let me know.  I am in the USA.

Reagards,

Bill Eliott

JimG

Re: 1898 Belfast Street Directory
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 09:25:24 PM »
Hi bill, cant help on 1898 directory, but have you used 1901 irish census? someone might have a peep for you, if you ask on this website. good luck , jim

celticmoon

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »
Was on the PRONI site and was able to gather information on Elliotts and Millings.   In 1897 my greatgrandmother, Catherine Milling was living at 17 Bagot Street with Mary Milling, her mother.  William Hugh Elliott, my greatgrandfather was living 33 Grosvenor Street with "Mrs. Elliott" his mother.  I need to know where they were living after they were married in May of 1897 which is where the 1898 Belfast Street Directory will come into play as I am trying to find out where my Great Uncle James Elliott, their first son, was born either in 1897 or 1898.  I am assuming that living with your parents was a thing of necessity when first starting a family in late 19 Century Ireland.  I hope there is a 1898 Belfast Street Directory.  Please let me know.  I am in the USA.

Reagards,

Bill Eliott
Hello Bill, have you tried the Lennon Wylie site for street directories????? Maggie
Family Names: Carney, Murphy, Keenan, Cromie, Carmichael, Hackett,  Monaghan and McKenna.
Any info on these family names is welcomed.

aussiepossum

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 11:13:05 PM »
LDS online Indexes from  their pilot website:

Name: James Elliott   Registration district: Belfast   Record type: BIRTHS
Registration date - quarter and year: Jan - Mar 1897

Name: James Elliott   Registration district: Belfast   Record type: BIRTHS
Registration date - quarter and year: Apr - Jun 1898

Name: James Elliott   Registration district: Belfast   Record type: DEATHS
Registration date - quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1901
Estimated birth year: 1897      Age: 4

The first one may have been born in the December 1896 or the March qtr of 1897.  Late December 1896 registrations go into the March qtr of 1897.
As William and Catherine were married in May 1897, it may be the second Birth Index for James Elliott is the one you are looking for.   If you order the certificate from the GRO in Belfast, the place where born should be recorded on the certificate.

belljaf

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:50:48 PM »
Thanks to all,  Have just ordered a birth certificate for James from GRO and am anxious to see if they come up with anything.  I put down Catherines address, 17 Bagot Street, as the birth place of James which was just a guess.  I have looked at Lennon Wylie site which was able to give me some information as well as the PRONI site street directories which also helped fill in some blanks.  I have not looked at the 1901 Census yet.  Is it online? and if it is how do you find it?  Information I have will include:

William Hugh Elliott Head 27 Iron Turner
Catherine Ellliott Wife 26 Hem Stitcher
James  Elliott son 4 or 5
William Elliott son 1/2

Address Grosvenor Street, Bagot Street, Damascus Street where Wiliam was born in 1900.

Bill

aussiepossum

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 06:34:35 AM »
If you go to the Latter Day Saints website

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/library/FHC/frameset_FHC.asp

and the section:  Find a Family History Center Near You

Type in the county where you live and it will bring up the LDS family history centres in that county.

If you ring one of the centres they should be able to tell you which one of the centres has the 1901 on microfilm, which would enable you to check the street or streets you want.   

RE 1901 & 1911 Census
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/census_4.html

belljaf

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 05:53:31 PM »
Thanks much aussie.  Have located a Center about 45 minutes away.

Bill