Author Topic: the wee old shops that used to be on the shankill!  (Read 26519 times)

Pennywhistle

Re: the wee old shops that used to be on the shankill!
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2010, 02:59:37 AM »
 :angel:  Ach" Irishdiva",you are the Laydee :good:  For a wee minute there I thought I'd have to go cap in hand (again) to our chum "Ulster Canadian".
I see "Our Val" is torturing you for a wee pic.of yours truly.Please put her out of her misery and (if you can) forward one of the E-Mails.
Failing that,if I can get her Web address, I'll fire one off.How's the decorating going?

Hope the Shankill crew enjoyed that wee video.I've watched it so many times now that I think of them like old friends and the soundtrack is so well chosen.I reckon I'd better head back over The Boyne Bridge in case someone bought a "bad un" from that wee car showroom, where I worked, at the corner of Diamond Street!

See ya back in "The Row"!!

Billy
" Kitchen house reared and still,rough as Purdy Oaten ".

the orrs

« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2010, 07:38:37 PM »
What about the sweet shop just below the top House pub i think it was the kerneys who owned it ,some time about 1960 a mr mc cullough bought it ,he was a manager in the shipyard an his wife an daughter worked in it.  i now hear that the building colapsed, an there is football club in its place, :(   memories  ;)

greyghost

« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2010, 11:23:14 PM »
Some of my favourite places on the Shankill.
Trimbles bakery
Eagle Fish and Chips
Mama's Ice Cream
O'Haras Bakery
I remember the Quinns Green Grocers, they lived in Beresford Street.
Dorothy O'Donnell (nee Simmons)
www.odos-photos.com

Headline boat man

« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2010, 04:29:56 AM »
My wife talks about Maggie Kelso's shop in the 50's when as a young girl she at 3 she lifted some sweets and her mum brought her back, Old maggie gave her the scare of her life in that she still suffers from the telling off and stealing anything. :girl_cray:

our bobby

« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2010, 03:32:59 AM »
McDowells chemist at Crimea street, Stevensons fruitshop, and next door a bakery can't remember the name , but I used to get sent for "cuttin Buns " on
Mondays " MIND NO CURRN ONES NYE"  { long story.} The other side of Crimea street  down the road was Irvines paper shop where I delivered the papers and sometimes got 1/4 oz. of Gallaher Special  Snuff for me Aunt Annie. There used to be a pawn shop long gone next to Irvines ,Whites bakery ,a butchers ? Mckelveys glass and paint , the best ice cream on the road The Anchor and Stewarts grocerys.
I have been 43 years in Canada and wish I could go back and see them all in the same place. Will see for myself when my wife (a Shankill girl) and I go home later this year.

our bobby

« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2010, 12:51:07 PM »
I remember the name of the bakery were we got the stale buns it was Steeles

Shazza

« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2010, 04:18:31 PM »
Here's a wee treat for you Bobby.  (hope you can read it)

forever_a_shankill_girl

« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2010, 04:30:09 PM »
McDowells chemist at Crimea street, Stevensons fruitshop, and next door a bakery can't remember the name , but I used to get sent for "cuttin Buns " on
Mondays " MIND NO CURRN ONES NYE"  { long story.} The other side of Crimea street  down the road was Irvines paper shop where I delivered the papers and sometimes got 1/4 oz. of Gallaher Special  Snuff for me Aunt Annie. There used to be a pawn shop long gone next to Irvines ,Whites bakery ,a butchers ? Mckelveys glass and paint , the best ice cream on the road The Anchor and Stewarts grocerys.
I have been 43 years in Canada and wish I could go back and see them all in the same place. Will see for myself when my wife (a Shankill girl) and I go home later this year.

Bobby the last time I was home 3 years ago, McDowell's was still at the corner of Crimea St...and Irvine's was still on the other side. I can remember White's Bakery from before I started school.

Regarding the Top House, the Ranger's Club is in that spot now.
never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Shazza

« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2010, 04:55:04 PM »
FASG - off topic, but always mean to ask you - do you ever watch a Turkish soap called Jawaher?  We get here on Sky, dubbed in arabic.  I love it.  It's on every night except Wednesday but we get a double helping on Saturday. 

http://new.shoofeetv.com/program/3840024/jawaher

forever_a_shankill_girl

« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2010, 07:10:12 AM »
FASG - off topic, but always mean to ask you - do you ever watch a Turkish soap called Jawaher?  We get here on Sky, dubbed in arabic.  I love it.  It's on every night except Wednesday but we get a double helping on Saturday. 

http://new.shoofeetv.com/program/3840024/jawaher

Hi Shazza. This soap starring Nurgul Yesilcay was on TV here about 5yrs ago...and it's original name was Ezogelin.
I believe Noor is popular in the arab world as well (original name here was Gumus).
never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Shazza

« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2010, 03:03:39 PM »

Hi Shazza. This soap starring Nurgul Yesilcay was on TV here about 5yrs ago...and it's original name was Ezogelin.
I believe Noor is popular in the arab world as well (original name here was Gumus).

I love Nurgul Yesilcay, and the other characters are great too. Jawaher's planning her wedding at the minute, but her ex-husband has just sent a text msg to her new husband-to-be threatening to kill him if he doesn't stay away from her.  Very exciting! can't wait till tonight's episode.  It's on the Abu Dhabi channel.

I havent seen the series Noor.  My husband records a few other ones, but I don't watch them. It makes me laugh how differently the filming and acting is compared to what we usually see here.  The introductions seem to last forever, and I love all the over-exaggerated facial expressions when the camera zooms in on them, and the music is very theatrical.

our bobby

« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2010, 09:43:10 PM »
Di that fella run a pawn shop on the Shankill ?

Shazza

« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2010, 10:36:04 PM »
Whoops! Sorry - I moved the Street Directory on photobucket and it deleted it on the forum. Here it is again.

our bobby

« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2010, 12:18:29 AM »
Thank you I will try and print it up.

manitoba

« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2010, 02:11:07 AM »
My dad had a shop at 145 Shankill by Downing st. Started as a book exchange after the war, he also ran the Belfast football pools out of there. Then in the law made them illeagle about 1949 so he turned it into a fruit shop.
He sold it in 1952.
My granny lived on Wilton St and my mother moved to Colechester St in 1965.