Author Topic: Ballybeen Estate  (Read 25740 times)

Silvertongue

Re: Ballybeen Estate
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 10:30:22 AM »
knew a girl that lived up there in ballybeen Nolan was her surname

jj,  did she have a twin sister and live on rosneath gardens?

Hi I lived in culross place from 1971 til 1990 when i moved to England. I went to Ballyoran and boys high. Have recently seen a video of the estate on google and dont think i`ll ever be back there as it looks a bit like of a nightmare with people afraid to go out after dark !!!!!!!!!

No one I know who lives in ballybeen is afraid to go out after dark, who told you this?

mcd

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 02:13:01 PM »
Used to live in Culross Drive during the 80s and early 90s, would be up in the estate every now and again. There has been quite a few changes what with the old peoples home being knocked down and a new block of shops replacing it. Strone Park flats knocked down and replaced with town houses  as has the flats at Brennan Park,Ardnoe and the pensioners maisonettes between Drumadoon and Ballybeen Park.Bute Park has been totally changed with the flats being replaced with houses also.

Kathrynspet   I have friends who used to live on Culross Drive their name is Gordon  they still live in Ballybeen but on a different street.would you have known them ?
Light travels faster than sound, This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

BDI

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 03:55:47 PM »
Calm down everybody its only what the people of the estate themselves are saying on a video on google this is the link http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-3067293851637720629&ei=he1qS_SBN8yP-Aaf-pHhCw&q=ballybeen+estate&hl=en-GB

kathrynspet

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 06:07:08 PM »

Kathrynspet   I have friends who used to live on Culross Drive their name is Gordon  they still live in Ballybeen but on a different street.would you have known them ?
Sorry the name doesn't ring a bell. Might have known them to see.

mcd

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 11:42:56 PM »
Calm down everybody its only what the people of the estate themselves are saying on a video on google this is the link http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-3067293851637720629&ei=he1qS_SBN8yP-Aaf-pHhCw&q=ballybeen estate&hl=en-GB

Watched the video start to finish and only one person said people were afraid to go out and that is the owner of the Mace ,the  Mace always stayed open until nine but that was before the huge supermarket was built  in the village where the prices where much cheaper, and yes the kids hung out at the square ,and yes at the weekends they would of had their bottles of beer but they did no one any harm  no one was hassled   no one was attacked, so i still would like to know who all these people are   you say said this
Light travels faster than sound, This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

blueshoes

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 12:29:22 PM »
i lived in Drumadoon Drive till 1975 i went to cararay primary school hope ive spell this right :scratch_ones_head: i also remember the uda strike they had a road block near my house

BDI

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 03:14:06 PM »

Watched the video start to finish and only one person said people were afraid to go out and that is the owner of the Mace ,the  Mace always stayed open until nine but that was before the huge supermarket was built  in the village where the prices where much cheaper, and yes the kids hung out at the square ,and yes at the weekends they would of had their bottles of beer but they did no one any harm  no one was hassled   no one was attacked, so i still would like to know who all these people are   you say said this
  I thought this was a country of free speech???  Lets just leave it there as u seem to be getting very upset about this.

mcd

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 06:49:36 PM »
  I thought this was a country of free speech???  Lets just leave it there as u seem to be getting very upset about this.

Dead wrong not upset  :scratch_ones_head:   just puzzled where you got,that everyone in Ballybeen is afraid to go out at night, Question when was the last time you were in Ballybeen.?  you are right it is a country of free speech but surely you would want to be sure you are speaking the truth,       take care   ;)

kathrynspet

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 08:41:44 PM »
i lived in Drumadoon Drive till 1975 i went to cararay primary school hope ive spell this right :scratch_ones_head: i also remember the uda strike they had a road block near my house
[/quote It was Carrowreagh primary, but the name has now changed to Brooklands Primary School.

jj

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 09:58:09 PM »
jj,  did she have a twin sister and live on rosneath gardens?

No one I know who lives in ballybeen is afraid to go out after dark, who told you this?
[/q
yes st she had a sister ok not sure if she was a twin though think her name was julie and not sure which part of the estate she lived

moejo80

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2010, 06:41:33 PM »

Hi i think i knew the Gordons of Culross drive, i think Billy Gordon used to fix TV's and had a son called Bill and a daughter called Janette - im just new to here and hope this helps  :smile:

moejo80

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2010, 06:52:44 PM »
Anybody attend Ballyoran Primary?
I lived Rosneath Gardens................

Yeah i attended Ballyoran, it was a great school with Mr Ward as Principal and teachers like Mr Mann / Mr Taylor / Mrs Wright (miss Cruikshanks) etc.

I used to love the Shortbread the Dinner ladies would hand you when leaving the Dinnerhall.

The names i can remember who lived on Rosneath i think were The Littles / Shaws / Spiers / Thompsons - Hope these names stir some memories...

PS does anyone remember the small area of trees/bushes called "Diddyland" beside Ballyoran?

Silvertongue

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2010, 12:15:46 PM »

Yeah i attended Ballyoran, it was a great school with Mr Ward as Principal and teachers like Mr Mann / Mr Taylor / Mrs Wright (miss Cruikshanks) etc.

I used to love the Shortbread the Dinner ladies would hand you when leaving the Dinnerhall.

The names i can remember who lived on Rosneath i think were The Littles / Shaws / Spiers / Thompsons - Hope these names stir some memories...

PS does anyone remember the small area of trees/bushes called "Diddyland" beside Ballyoran?

Hi moejo80, and a very big welcome to BelfastForum.
Those names  bring memories back alright, but not as much as Diddyland, just behind the school with a opening in the middle, loved messing about in there after I built up enough courage to go in...........
I bumped into Mr.Taylor in Ards with his wife at the start of the year, couldn't beleive it was him!( thought he'd be long gone) and he remembered me...........he was my P6/P7 teacher.........

moejo80

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2010, 01:41:12 PM »
Many thanks for the Welcome Silvertounge!  :smile:

I cant believe Mr Taylor is still around, i thought he would have popped the Clogs by now  :angel: 

I came across this old newspaper cutting on the Ulster Hospital Radio website of Ballyoran from 7th march 1976 - you might recognise a few people on there!

machinehead

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2010, 04:29:12 PM »
I lived in Ballybeen between 1965, when it was first built, until 1979.

I lived in Enler Park East until 1977, when I got married and got a flat in the notorious Ballybeen Square where I lived for about a year until I saved enough for the deposit on a house.  Ballybeen Square was nothing like as bad as its reputation suggested.

I went to Carrowreagh Primary and then to Dundonald Boys High in September 1968, the first day it opened.
Back in the 70s I was one of the hippy types and a musician.  We had a reputation for doing lots of drugs but the reality was more than a little different.

I moved away from Dundonald in 1985 but had relatives there and was a regular visiter until last year.

It's still a good place to live because it has retained a community atmosphere.