Author Topic: Dockers, casual and button. Silomen, Barnetts, Halls, West Twin.  (Read 29801 times)

wolfhound

Re: Dockers, casual and button. Silomen, Barnetts, Halls, West Twin.
« Reply #225 on: December 15, 2013, 08:10:13 PM »
hi stanley i remember roddy he lived in mc millans place he bought a lot of old houses done them up i remember i think he tried to start up a new union.i think his wife and kids came to the docks with placards.       wolf
i remember working on a boat for guy burns it was,nt flour but like anyway,we were the 8oo box we had are wrangler jeans wrangler jackets doc martin boots. to get back to the boatwe were getting 7/6dirty money i stopped the boat from working.i said to guy burns we wanted 5pound a day dirty money,guy laughted and said stop talking telephone numbers i said if you don,t we are going home after two hours of toing and froing he agreed to the money.we started work on the boat after one hour a top trick from the union came a hard man.he said who stopped this boat from working.i said me.he said come down the shed when we got to the bottom the said what he was going to do to me.i said come on ahead but i was shaking in my shoes cut a long story short he said to the men ihave got youse 2/50a day i said 5 pound a day wes agreed i called guy i said are you renaging on the deal he said no you,ll get the five pound       wolf        ps their is more to this story
amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic

stanleyw

« Reply #226 on: January 04, 2014, 09:33:11 PM »
hi again wolfhound,
its great to remininise about the docks but what our friends who worked with us everyday. if ever the phrase ' there for the grace of greater god go i, 'was more appropriate. us old dockers  love to tell tales about the docks  BUT what about our colleagues who have died/are dying from the cargo we unloaded?
           have you seen the film [check ytube]  Dying Dockers?  in it you will see real stories of people you i have i have worked with. its a disgrace that the union appear to have nothing to with them. also the SHIP organisation dedicated to remembering the docks have absolutely nothing to say about the tv programme 'Dying Dockers'  are they the forgotten dockers? seems a shame.

Moondog40

« Reply #227 on: January 04, 2014, 11:07:44 PM »
Davy o Kane     Buried last week.  Had a bad leg    Ex sailor town

Bread Basket

« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2014, 05:29:39 PM »
Davy o Kane     Buried last week.  Had a bad leg    Ex sailor town
I'm nearly sure that Davy lived in New Dock St.......his walk was very awkward...his whole body tilted backwards and the leg swung from the back to the front in a wide arc.
RIP Davy.......he was the 2nd person from New Dock St who dies a week or so ago....the other was Francie Deighan....RIP Francie

garmoyle

« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2014, 07:24:09 PM »
3 BB in 2 weeks. Same side of street. Charlotte Benson.
G

Bread Basket

« Reply #230 on: January 06, 2014, 12:39:25 AM »
3 BB in 2 weeks. Same side of street. Charlotte Benson.
G
Thanks for the update G...........frightening really.
I saw Seany Fuller  when I was over in Oct.....so so sad.........I was in a car and was not able to stop for a chat.........but he was 3 sheets........ :sorry: :sorry:

wolfhound

« Reply #231 on: January 07, 2014, 10:42:32 PM »
800 box dan o hara, hughie adams,joe o neill charlie o neill paddy o neill banana reilly mickey quinn,paddy caldwell seaman, paddy kelly and son,benny lynch,paddy fitzsimmons,charlie oneill,their were other kellys,charlie mc donald davy o kane their were others.      wolf

wolfhound

« Reply #232 on: January 08, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »
800box.hughie murphy,marlowes,arder crosby,jim mc donald.       wolf

wolfhound

« Reply #233 on: January 08, 2014, 04:55:22 PM »
ollie weir,ward short strand,denny dougherty,seany dougherty,joey murray,benny burns,jim burns,martin meehan,joe meehan jimmy kelly jackie walls.    these are some of the 800 box         wolf

wolfhound

« Reply #234 on: January 08, 2014, 07:39:51 PM »
charlie mc ilroy barney o hara       wolf

ship project

« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »
hi again wolfhound,
its great to remininise about the docks but what our friends who worked with us everyday. if ever the phrase ' there for the grace of greater god go i, 'was more appropriate. us old dockers  love to tell tales about the docks  BUT what about our colleagues who have died/are dying from the cargo we unloaded?
           have you seen the film [check ytube]  Dying Dockers?  in it you will see real stories of people you i have i have worked with. its a disgrace that the union appear to have nothing to with them. also the SHIP organisation dedicated to remembering the docks have absolutely nothing to say about the tv programme 'Dying Dockers'  are they the forgotten dockers? seems a shame.

ship project

« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »

Hi stanleyw.
We noted your comment dated January 4th 2014 on Belfast Forum;
“SHIP have absolutely nothing to say about the programme “Dying Dockers” are they the forgotten dockers? seems a shame”
and would like to reply.
The programme we believe was produced in 2011. SHIP were not aware that it was being produced. We were not contacted by the makers for a comment. Any invite from the makers to do so would have been welcomed by SHIP. The bigger picture in the “Dying Dockers” situation, in reality involves the courts, unions, employers, the government and those who were affected. SHIP are just a small voluntary group who have, since 2006 been doing our best, with very limited resources to  accept, collate and record information in order to promote and record a living history of Belfast dockers, their families, the port in general and its connected industries and communities.
On International Workers Day 2007 in Pilot Street we unveiled a marble plaque to remember and honour deceased dockers.  The wording on the plaque includes;
…our friends and fellow dockers who were killed at work or suffered pain and premature death from unsafe and unhealthy working conditions in the port of Belfast”
This small but welcomed and meaningful tribute by SHIP was commissioned many years before the programme you refer to was broadcast.
Over the years we have constantly communicated with the families of many of those who were killed while working at Belfast Docks and kept them updated on our activities. All of the families have thanked SHIP for our work and it is encouraging to see the families attending our events.
In November 2013 we held our 6th Remembrance Service for deceased dockworkers. Each year the number of persons attending this Service increases. Foremost in the thoughts of those who attend on the day is the memory of their loved ones. SHIP are extremely proud to be the conduit that allows this Service to happen. This Service attracts a far more mixed attendance than one would see at any similar event and we intend to continue hosting it.
One of our latest projects has been the creating of a “deceased Dockers tribute wall”. This painstaking but enjoyable project has resulted to date in the obtaining of photographs and the year of birth and passing of over 200 dockworkers. We can assure you that it was not an easy project.  200 of the photographs are on permanent display in the dockers club in four panels of fifty. These 200 plus an additional 20 or so can also be viewed on the SHIP website.
This “tribute wall” is an on-going project and would not be possible without the co-operation and support of the families of those dockworkers. Many of those we have placed on the tribute wall were killed in Belfast port or suffered premature death from unsafe and unhealthy working conditions.
We would like to invite anyone to visit our website shipbelfast.com look at our previous projects and make a judgement on whether or not SHIP have forgotten dockers and others who worked in Belfast port.
We would encourage the reading of the poem “A Dedication” contained in our poetry section on the website.
It is regrettable that we felt we had to make a reply.
SHIP committee

Bread Basket

« Reply #237 on: January 14, 2014, 12:49:02 AM »

Bread Basket

« Reply #238 on: January 14, 2014, 12:51:56 AM »

Dickie

« Reply #239 on: January 18, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »
My fathers family were famous dockers, my father drove a motor bike and side car and most dockers I have spoken to say he was the funniest man they ever met. My uncle dickie was also a character and my grandad richard worked at docks as far back as 20, s.
What a marvellous night for a Moondance