Author Topic: Leisure World Shop  (Read 16400 times)

chris67bug

Leisure World Shop
« on: July 12, 2010, 10:57:42 PM »
Really used to love this shop, the little 'chicken toy' machine outside, the sloping entrance as you walked it.  Anyone else remember it as fondly as I do?  Also does anyone know why they pulled the building down- Queen's St seems so empty without it!

chris

kathrynspet

Re: Leisure World Shop
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:51:36 AM »
Spent many happy times in there, their sports department was better than any of the so called proper sports shops in town. Agree with you about Queen St. being empty without it, a sad day when it closed down.

Jimmi

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »
My sister worked in the accounts dept for years she loved it. There was a wee reunion of some of the staff in the Welly Boot not so long ago, it was nice to see some old faces.
I once read that smoking and drinking were bad for you, so I gave up reading.

chris67bug

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:49:44 PM »
Thanks to you both, yes the sports section was great.  I always remember going up the stairs to the top floor, seem to remember they had all sorts of things there, computer games and so on.  i have a vague recollection that you actually went into the building next door but I'm sure I must be mistaken, although you can see where they had to brick up the part of the wall when they pulled the Leisureworld building down.

Anyone remember when it actually closed- late 90's perhaps or was it later?

chris

Lillikins

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:15:44 PM »
I don't remember what year it finally closed down Chris - but it was a terrific shop.  When there were any special events like birthdays or Christmas - it was top of the list of places to visit for my kids. We took them there for birthday treats etc. Why it ever closed down - I do not know but it is very badly missed. I remember them stocking a lot of the Star Wars toys etc. It was thrilling for the kids to be taken  to Leisure World just to get seeing these toys and games let alone being bought them! They stocked so much of everything. Queen Street today looks bleak without this store. :(

grendelkiller

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:17:52 PM »
I agree Lillkins I loved that place as a child.  It is a pity its gone.
Grendel is dead.

Lillikins

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 10:27:28 PM »
Hi Grendel - hope alls well with you :good:

Yes, it is missed. I look across the street when I'm passing by and think of the days when it was a brilliant big store where kids could let their imaginations run wild  :D  and maybe dream what santa might bring them for Christmas. ;)  Does anyone know the reason why it closed down? As it seemed to have plenty of customers from all over the town and further afield.

carbolicsoap

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 10:33:46 PM »
Leisure world was a great shop.I spent many an hour walking about it,dreaming of the toys I could own.
As soon as you walked up the red carpeted ramp the first thing that you would see on your left handside was a glass case usually filled with a great display of well built lego.
You would then go up the stairs and half way up was another display case with Star wars figures...they'd all be there,the AT AT,X wing fighters and the millenium falcon.
The top floor was filled with great bikes,snooker tables and everything you could possibly want.
 If you didn't get kicked out by that stage,you could spend a bit of time looking over the balcony to the middle floor and look at the spoilt brats getting everything they wanted. :(

But I'am not bitter at all. :cray:

Mitcher

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 10:43:01 PM »
My sister worked in the accounts dept for years she loved it. There was a wee reunion of some of the staff in the Welly Boot not so long ago, it was nice to see some old faces.

I remember the securtity man well as he scrubbed up well

Lillikins

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 10:46:46 PM »
 :D  aaaahhh now carbolic was that your wee face that used to peer over the top of the staircase?   ;)  I'm sure there were many many kids did a lot of that cb - daydreaming. Unfortunately my family were not amongst the 'spoiled brats' - we were in the same position as yerself and many others. :D

chris67bug

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 10:55:24 PM »
Thanks guys, yes would be interesting to know why it shut and why the building was demolished as they havent rebuilt on the site.  I also remember the model shop next door.  Used to go many years ago with dad to buy the latest computer game, such happy days...

chris

homebird original

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 06:45:10 PM »
We used to go every year just before Christmas just to pick the toys we would like Santa to bring!

HB ;)

wonder woman

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 08:04:28 PM »
I have great memories of that building but not as a toy shop but as ROMANO'S dance hall. Oh happy day :party:
And i'l tell you why it closed Chris the bloody troubles, many a tear was shed when it closed. :cray:
My head is in a spin, my feet don't touch the ground.

chris67bug

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 12:16:34 AM »
Wonder woman, thanks for posting this, I never knew that the building was originally a dance hall!! It makes perfect sense of course, as the layout with the upstairs balcony overlooking the dance floor.  I asked mum about it and she remembered going to it.  She agreed about the troubles finishing off a lot the dance halls in belfast. 

Must try and find a picture of the front of the building either as leisure world or romanos.  Must be one somewhere!

chris

Flossie

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 12:31:54 PM »
I loved Leisure World! I've loads of fond memories of trips there, the sloping entrance and glass toy case (I have a vague memory of seeing a doll in that case near Christmas time when I was very small and getting that doll from Santa that year - I still have her!), the balcony and trips to see Santa there after the co-op in York Street closed down. I remember the top floor well and going up there to look for things for my brother. I was taken there on birthdays too to pick out a toy - usually Barbie and they had a huge selection of different Barbie dolls to choose from in their own dedicated section. It was a great place and a great loss when it closed. Having two young kids now myself, I miss Leisure world, especially around Christmas, there's nothing like it in Belfast now.