Author Topic: The New Groni  (Read 9459 times)

Erincyprus

The New Groni
« on: September 16, 2010, 04:46:56 PM »
My Sister paid a visit to Groni today to use the Search Room and they now have a larger Search Room with 20 stations for researchers.  The information is quite limited and you have four checks included in the 12 fee.

You no longer get to see the Books but instead once you have filled in your Four Checks you then take them to the Staff Members Desk where they call your reference check up on their screen and turn the screen towards you.  The record is a photocopy of the Book page and opens in a small box mid screen and the Staff Member follows your instructions to move right/left/ up or down so you can read it while they control the screen.

One Death of hers showed 20 possibles all within 3 years and @ 3 per check I find it disgraceful.  There is not enough information now showing to narrow the options down for anyone.

The Staff are really good but my Sister says it is now just a joke.  If you are thinking of paying a visit fine tune all your searches before you plan a visit is her advice to all. 

Erin
God made Whisky to stop the Irish ruling the World

Turkeyone

Re: The New Groni
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 09:06:48 PM »
I was there in July. they brought the Registers and then stood over me as the guy rapidly read out the details, on my second batch of records I discovered that 2 of the 3 records were wrong . They were the right name but he obviously just picked the record by the name index and not by the volume / page, that I had given him, he was not happy that I discovered this, it left me wondering if any of the others were wrong as I was writing down what he said and had no time to check if he had the correct record
GRONI is a waste of time and money, I e mailed Mr. McCausland some time ago that PRONI and GRONI should be integrated in the Titanic Quarter under the control of PRONI, then researchers would only have one place to go and hopefully researching GRONI records would be more people friendly
I have had more sucess and feel more comfortable doing my research in the LDS Holywood Road

kieran257

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 01:09:06 AM »
Hi All,

I have had problems with GRONI as well and I wrote a email to the minister in charge telling him how I thought it was a real rip off.
The minister in charge is MP Sammy Wilson and he works at the Department of Finance and Personnel  at DPF Private Office, Craigantlet Buildings, Stoney Road, Belfast BT4 3SX.  Tel 02890529140 and email [email protected].

I hope this helps as the more people that complain the more likely is that things will change.

Kieran

gingercat

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 07:34:41 PM »
Sadly I have to add my voice to the crowd who have gripes with GRONI search room facility (and GRONI IN general).
I visited about two years ago. As it was my first visit, and there were no instructions really and I didnt know what to do and found the staff impatient to the point of rudeness. I think they had forgotten that even though they are civil servants they are still there to serve the general public and should treat them as clients, not nuisances.
If they have now digitised the registers, why can these images not be made available to the general public via the internet? If reasonably priced i would far rather cut out the "middle man" of the GRO staff. But of course, it's all about money! They are terrified of losing the revenue for this "service". This is another reason why they have refused to allow the LDS to publish the civil indexes from 1922 onwards. Even if you do have the details for pre 1922 events (ie year, quarter and volume number) they will not accept these for a reduced price certificate. Now I send off to the GROIE in Roscommon as they provide a photocopy of the entry (with ref nos) for a small fee.
I have washed my hands of GRONI.

Erincyprus

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 08:03:17 AM »
The Certs my Sister ordered in Groni recently have just arrived and I was shocked to find how small they are compared to the usual ones. 

If they are reducing everything they should in fact also reduce the costs.

Erin

millierose

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 11:09:06 AM »
hi everyone,so pleased that others are having problems cos i thought it was me going silly in the head!i wrote a long descriptive letter to G.R.O.N.i as ive already got my granda,s wedding cert.gave then all the details,also from my :( fathers birth cert.granda was Francis Taylor born 1882/3 in Tandragee Armagh,his father was also Francis,i only wanted my granda,s birth certificate.i got-Thomas Watson Taylor at Lurgan on 9/6/1876 son of John Taylor & Margaret nee Mawhinney and Francis James Taylor at Omagh on 25/6/1882 son of Andrew Taylor & Ellen nee McAnulty?it says on my granda,s marriage cert that his father was Francis Taylor?

Erincyprus

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 09:56:50 PM »
Paid a visit today to Castlereagh Library and their records are very limited, the room was freezing like sitting in a warehouse.  There is only one machine that can photocopy and it is dire.  Parking is also limited.

If you need a page from the file copied they put a sticker on the film and take it or you can wait with you sticker on the film until you are finished with the reel and then they will take it and make your copy.

The machines are booked by the hour and if there are people coming in they will ask you to leave your station after a period of time.

I will give that one a miss from now on.

My next visit is planned for LDS will update you all later on how it goes.

Erin 

kieran257

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 10:52:40 PM »
Hi Erin,
Why are Irish records so hard to get hold of.  I have sent an email again to Sammy Wilson telling him of the difficulties.  Thanks for all your tips on using Castlereagh Library I think I will give that a miss.

Well you will probably find a good difference at the LDS.  I have used them here in London and they are really helpful.  The only downside is that they don't have complete records as they weren't able to copy them. 

I am interested to see how you get on in the Belfast office.

Kieran

kieran257

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 10:56:25 PM »
Hi All,

I have had problems with GRONI as well and I wrote a email to the minister in charge telling him how I thought it was a real rip off.
The minister in charge is MP Sammy Wilson and he works at the Department of Finance and Personnel  at DPF Private Office, Craigantlet Buildings, Stoney Road, Belfast BT4 3SX.  Tel 02890529140 and email [email protected] the email address on the letter didn't work.

I hope this helps as the more people that complain the more likely is that things will change.

Kieran

Ps I have sent an email and will give an update when I get a reply

Erincyprus

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 08:04:08 AM »
I Have added another email Kieran to his In Box  :smile:

Erin

kieran257

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 11:31:21 PM »
Hi Erin,

Great news  :smile: I think the more emails he gets the more chance there will be of a change to the service. :unsure:

Kieran

Jwaugh

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 11:26:32 PM »
There is only one machine that can photocopy and it is dire. 

At PRONI there only was one Machine for photocopying and should have headed for the skip instead of Cregagh.

You had to wait your turn to use it as well. I waited over an hour one day for some guy to get off it. I think he was copying a whole reel.

John

gingercat

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 01:13:25 PM »
The problem with Proni was that it was always swarming with "professional" researchers, ie those who make a living by it. The microfilm room and the one lone photocopying fiche reader was always hogged by them! Last time I was in there they were quite noisy too, cackling away amongst themselves- whilst I was singled out and told off by the security guard for ..wait for it..for putting my cardigan over the back of my chair! And all the while the "professional" researchers cackled and giggled and talked in loud voices amongst themselves...

Erincyprus

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 11:30:44 PM »
Been there done that gingercat had my cardigan over the back of the chair it was getting hot in Summer and I was asked to put it on or in a locker. So I folded it and sat on it  :girl_blum:

Erin

OTTO

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 07:52:55 AM »
Been there done that gingercat had my cardigan over the back of the chair it was getting hot in Summer and I was asked to put it on or in a locker. So I folded it and sat on it  :girl_blum:

Erin

I know this can be annoying, but there is a good reason for it, as in PRONI you are requested to put items of clothing, bags etc in a locker.
People in the past have concealed items in their bags/clothing, either microfilms or papers ( especially wills etc...) and the respective dept has lost those items forever in the case of original papers, and had to replace microfims, so they are really just trying to protect the items they have from thieves, so that we all can enjoy our researching.

OTTO