Author Topic: The Newtownards Road  (Read 41503 times)

Mooncoin

The Newtownards Road
« on: April 24, 2007, 09:47:29 PM »
Does anyone have any old pictures or stories about the N'Ards Road, Bloomfield Ave or the Arches.  I think the N'Ards Road has really went to the dogs and the retail properties have been let slip into disrepair, which is sad as there are some fine old buildings on the road, I think the Cregagh has become the 'new' shopping street in the East now, a glimmer of what the Newtownards Road used to be? 

Christopher

Re: The Newtownards Road
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 10:05:03 PM »
You've got me thinking Mooncoin. The East Belfast Historical Society should have some photographs of that area. Do any of our members know anyone on their list of officers? I met their President J. Thompson Steele but that was about thirty years ago. A photographer in that area may have a collection of pictures too

Mooncoin

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 10:13:01 PM »
I would pop on to the EBHS site now and again too Chris, my Gran has a book with old black and white pics of East Belfast and I think (but am not sure) that it was published by or in conjunction with the EBHS.  There are some great photos in it of coronation street parties, wartime photos, buildings well known for thier architecture and people and children in the streets, I would love to see some more photos of the same.  As far as I know my family came from Ashdale and Oakdale Street so would be good to see some photos from there.

Christopher

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 10:17:48 PM »
There's a little bit about the area on the NIMusic website article "On Hyndford Street" I like this sentence which refers to Van Morrison "When many of its more famous citizens have only served to embarrass and degrade the place further, this is a man who has done more for the image of Belfast worldwide than probably anyone else." There is a Beersbridge Road. East Belfast thread on the History board but it has no photographs.

Mooncoin

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 08:47:47 AM »
Thanks for the link Chris.  I saw the Albertbridge Road thread and there are a couple of other N'Ards Road threads but about different things,  I trawled through the History Board the other day and came across some good threads.

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 10:20:18 PM »
I'm having a look for more items about the Newtownards Road ...

1. Dee Street / Island Street.
2. The Glens started playing at The Oval in Dee Street in 1892.
3. Jim McLaughlin remembers shops in  Mersey Street and Dee Street
4. The Blue Nose Bars website includes bars on  the Newtownards Road.
5. A link to an article about young people at the Dee Street Community Centre.  
6. A link to a message from John Shannon who lived off Dee Street. Now retired, he lives in Toronto, Canada

Mooncoin

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 10:37:31 AM »
Thanks for the links Chris, I'm enjoying having a look, my great aunts by marriage were from Island St.  My mum has friends in England and their  daughter met a guy who said his father was originally from Island St in Belfast when they were over for a holiday they took the guy to meet my aunt, turns out his father was her nephew, he left Belfast in the early sixties and lost touch with the family.  Its a small world.

Christopher

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 01:44:15 PM »
Mooncoin, if you see a film "Jaacqueline" starring John Gregson, Kathleen Ryan, Noel Purcell and Cyril Cusack yoo should watch it. It's about a Belfast shipyard worker with a fear of heights. He got the sack and took to drink but his daughter helps him overcome his problems. I'm certain it was made in Belfast and has some shots of streets off the Newtownards Road. It was directed by: Roy Ward Baker. I'm not sure if it's on DVD or a casette.

Mooncoin

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 03:59:53 PM »
I'll look out for it, thanks Christopher.  Is it a locally made film

teap

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 07:14:09 PM »
OHHHH look here its great

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hero/teresa.html

look at her date of birth  :o spooky or what?

Christopher

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:34:03 PM »
OHHHH look here its great

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hero/teresa.html

look at her date of birth  :o spooky or what?

That's a great link Colette. I've just used it on the Genealogy board ... "Belfast Orphans to Canada via English Workhouses" thread. I'm looking for orphans from Belfast who were sent to England and on to Canada in the early 1900s. I'm sure there were ships direct from Belfast to Canada so I'm trying to understand why the children were being sent to England before being sent to Canada. At the moment it's not making a lot of sense. If we can find more details it may begin to make some sense.   

Mooncoin

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 09:26:46 PM »
Thanks for the link Colette, theres some nice pics of old belfast on it, I'm not well up on Belfast history but that story was interesting.

nigirl

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 05:11:39 PM »
hi i'm new here but wondered if anyone has any photos of cable street newtownards road? its where i was born. :)

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 05:20:37 PM »
hi i'm new here but wondered if anyone has any photos of cable street newtownards road? its where i was born. :)

Welcome to the Forum nigirl.

I hope someone has a photo of Cable Street. If no one has a photo we'll do our best to source one for you.

nigirl

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 05:27:02 PM »
thanks christopher. look forward to any photos that can be found.although i wasn't brought up in cable st, my mother was. her name was may houston and she lived at no. 40 cable street.