Author Topic: Frankie and the Echoes  (Read 1817 times)

Dawsy

Frankie and the Echoes
« on: December 02, 2010, 11:38:01 AM »
Hi, I rarely have time to read the forum, but after talking to Vaughan Byrne, I though I had better set the record straight regarding the history of Frankie and the Echoes.
Firstly I would like to apologise for confusing Pat and Dennis Osborne, Dennis did replace me in Frankie and the Echoes, this was my mistake.
The history of the Echoes:
We did start out as the Trailblazers, the line up was Seany Devlin Lead guitar, Francie Connolly main vocals, Kevin Brennan vocals and rhythm, myself Rhythm, Tommy McKay, Mountpottinger road on bass and Frankie O'Neill drums.
Frankie left and was replaced by the late Joe Campbell on drums.
Kevin Brennan also left and went out on his own, I think there was some link up with Van Morrison etc.
We renamed ourselves as the Frankie and The Echoes.  The original line up was Seany Devlin, Tommy McKay Bass, Joe Campbell drums, Myself rhythm and Francie Vocals.
We had profession photos of the line up taken and I think that these are still with The Late Joe Campbell's widow.
Tommy McKay left to marry his childhood sweetheart and we were left without a bass player.  Vaughan Byrne will confirm the rest of the story.
We met Vaughan, who had never played an instrument and convinced him that on the basis of his charm, good looks and ability, he would make a bass guitarist. (Brave or what?)
Seany Devlin and I put up the 27 and bought him his first guitar and he played with us that night after showing him a few runs.
I played on for a considerable period with the Echoes, the line being Seany, Joe Campbell, Francie Connolly, Vaughan Byrne and myself.  I have wonderful memories of our trips.  Unfortunately Joe kept hoarding the photos, so if you read this Michelle, can I please have some copies???
I then went off on holiday for the bank holiday one Easter weekend and learnt that there was more to life, then the band, I also met a new girl who became my steady and as a result left to be replaced by Dennis.

I hope this sets the records straight and I am sure that Vaughan Byrne will corroborate this account, which we go on about endlessly, boring our wives to distraction when we meet up, which due to our new piggery, is quite often
Happy rocking to you all
Joe Dawson

plaza hopper

Re: Frankie and the Echoes
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 06:22:25 PM »
 :party: :party: .....................plaza hopper

gismo

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 05:57:19 PM »
my old mate frankie connolly where are u now  rem     queen st belfast gismo

dennis osborne

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »
lets get the facts straight gentlemen. Joe dawson was never a member of Frankie and the echoes. The original members were Joe Campbell (RIP) Sean Devlin, and Dennis Osborne. Pat Osborne joined the band as bass player/vocals, and shortly afterwards was replaced by a guy called Cecil who was replaced by Vaughn Byrne.This can be confirmed by Frankie Connelly, (who we have been in contact with for the past 6 months) Sean Devlin, and Myself. I will, in the near distant future,upload photographs to confirm this, and i challenge Joe Dawson / Vaughn Byrne to do the same

Silvertongue

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:57:39 AM »

Silvertongue

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 11:05:46 AM »
Sorry....left to Right.........Vaughn Byrne (Bass).....Joe Campbell (Drums,R.I.P)..........Frankie Connelly (Vocals)...........Sean Devlin (Lead Guitar).........Dennis Osborne (Rhythm Guitar)

gismo

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 12:43:50 PM »
thanks for that photo denis frankie left his job and went to play i think full time in the band i rem he played in the hall in andy town i have not seen him it years gismo

Dub

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 08:43:14 PM »
Frankie and the Echos played in the Holy Rosary hall at the top of the Ravenhill Road in the early sixties. It was a highlight when they played, as every other Saturdays it was just a record hop.
                                                          All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers you are not informed.
If you do read the papers you are misinformed.( Mark Twain.)