Author Topic: the Half Bap  (Read 5145 times)

kevben

the Half Bap
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:18:35 PM »
Although I,am not from the Half Bap myself,Iam sure some members on the forum are, or have  memories of the area itself,and maybe some old photos.

apalachie

Re: the Half Bap
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 04:57:38 PM »
OK Kevben, you nor I are from the half bap but I bet you remember Aul Tommy Hannon who lived around the corner from your mother -in- laws old house, did you know he had a shop in Edward St for many years?
I have the video that was made of the Half Bap and I,m almost certain I have a copy of the wee book about it published by Rushlight a few years back, if I come across it I will Post some of the pic,s in it.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

kevben

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:19:18 PM »
i remember tommy well,his son michael passed away recently,apalachie that would be great if you could post some photos.

apalachie

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »
i remember tommy well,his son michael passed away recently,apalachie that would be great if you could post some photos.
I will kev if I get the time, I,ve just started a new job and I,m up at 5-30am every morning. Yes I knew Big Micky well(rip) he was my neighbour for a lot of years and was a year below me in school, he died on Christmas day, sad.

doare.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:47:33 PM »
frank carson came from the half bap, i watched a program one time i was back in belfast, and he was doing a program on it, very interesting, he actually broke down when he was recalling his early school days.
its not what we don't know that gets us in trouble..its what we know for sure that just aint so..mark twain

McGurggle

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
frank carson came from the half bap, i watched a program one time i was back in belfast, and he was doing a program on it, very interesting, he actually broke down when he was recalling his early school days.

I break down when I re-call some of his early 'jokes'  ;) s'away he tells'um... :D
Mcg

jmac

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 11:55:27 PM »
The half bap was an area of Belfast located in the lower Donegal St, York St. district, centered around Little Patrict St,Edward St, & surounding streets,also known later as little Italy
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

jimmymack

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 01:47:34 AM »
I was born and raised in the Half Bap. A great area and Thomas Hannon was a great guy. I used to get the auld fegs on tick from him. A lot of good memories and neighbours from that area. Hope to hear grom some of them.

doare.

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 08:34:20 AM »
i worked in easons retail shop in 1956, it was beside the half bap area. got to know it fairly well. very old part of town.
its not what we don't know that gets us in trouble..its what we know for sure that just aint so..mark twain

sean d

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 09:49:28 AM »
i worked in easons retail shop in 1956, it was beside the half bap area. got to know it fairly well. very old part of town.
   doare you must have been 12 or 13 in 1956. ? How many jobs had you ? ;)
live everyday as your last, because some day it will be :)

apalachie

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 03:45:07 PM »
Aye and he only parked his caravan in Coates Street :D

Dickie

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 12:15:16 AM »
I am not an expert on this not coming from the Half Bap, but was the half Bap not in and around Edward St, Exchange St.  Little Patrick St would have been located in Little Italy. Little Corporation St would have formed the bulk of families of Italian extract from which that area gets its name.
As I say might be wrong on this any Half Bappers out there can say where the Half Bap actually was.

The half bap was an area of Belfast located in the lower Donegal St, York St. district, centered around Little Patrict St,Edward St, & surounding streets,also known later as little Italy
What a marvellous night for a Moondance

jimmymack

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 12:37:52 AM »
Dickie

You are correct.

Bread Basket

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 05:46:07 PM »
Dickie

You are correct.
Yep agree with both ....Exchange St I suppose was the better known of the two....anyone remember the Gibney's?

Bread Basket

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 05:47:37 PM »
I think Frank Carson was actually from Corporation St.  :scratch_ones_head: :scratch_ones_head: