Author Topic: WHO REMEMBERS THE DOCKERS CLUB IN PILOT STREET.  (Read 8380 times)

arder lavery

WHO REMEMBERS THE DOCKERS CLUB IN PILOT STREET.
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:45:53 PM »
ONCE, WHEN I WENT BACK HOME FOR A HOLIDAY, I ASKED SOME ONE WHERE THE DOCKERS CLUB WAS, WELL, HE SENT ME TO NORTH STREET. I FOUND IT, BUT IT WAS THE WRONG ONE !
THEY WERE FRIENDLY AND GAVE ME DIRECTIONS TO THE RIGHT PLACE. PHEWWWW
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

Bread Basket

Re: WHO REMEMBERS THE DOCKERS CLUB IN PILOT STREET.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:59:41 PM »
ONCE, WHEN I WENT BACK HOME FOR A HOLIDAY, I ASKED SOME ONE WHERE THE DOCKERS CLUB WAS, WELL, HE SENT ME TO NORTH STREET. I FOUND IT, BUT IT WAS THE WRONG ONE !
THEY WERE FRIENDLY AND GAVE ME DIRECTIONS TO THE RIGHT PLACE. PHEWWWW
I remember Pilot St better when the Docker's Club wasn't there.... and the football in Short St........ :D ;)

bridge ender

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:36:52 PM »
The dockers club in Pilot St as well as being a social club is a sort of local history club with lots of pictures of lng gone days.
Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

apalachie

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 02:54:32 PM »
The dockers club, which is still going strong, also has a very good Boxing club run by wee Paddy Fitzimmons.
Arder, the same thing used to happen to guest artists who were to appear in the Deep sea Dockers club in Pilot St that happened to you,lol.
Oh for all our yesterdays.

Dickie

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 08:58:51 PM »
I was in The Dockers last night, unfortunately crowd getting smaller every time I visit, Brian McCann still singing. Three guest artists a harmonica player, Muriel Day who represented Ireland in Euro song Contest, and Ray Megahey there was more entertainers than cutomers. Like many pubs/clubs going through bad times. I have heard in the last few weeks that the Blackstaff Bar has closed, Celtic Bar closed and Sarsfield opening limited hrs all staff paid off and members manning bar.
What a marvellous night for a Moondance

apalachie

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 09:30:53 PM »
Yes Dickie, the club has gone down the tube but big Ray used to be a good laugh. They need to get rid of Mc Cann. They are scraping the bottom of the barrel with Muriel, fgs, it was way back in 69 that she represented Ireland and divorced Dave Glover. She then married Eddie Mc Cann (Big Yanks Brother) and emigrated to Canada in 71. They broke up and she came back here in the 90's. She's over 70.

Bread Basket

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 10:14:51 PM »
Yes Dickie, the club has gone down the tube but big Ray used to be a good laugh. They need to get rid of Mc Cann. They are scraping the bottom of the barrel with Muriel, fgs, it was way back in 69 that she represented Ireland and divorced Dave Glover. She then married Eddie Mc Cann (Big Yanks Brother) and emigrated to Canada in 71. They broke up and she came back here in the 90's. She's over 70.
Sounds like the Docker's Club is a carbon copy of upstairs in Peter McGuire's, the Lunggie (lounge to the edumacted) Bar on a Saturday night in the early 60's.........but hey.....as long as they enjoy themselves

Me Ould Segoia

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 11:21:46 PM »
They need to get rid of McCann ......................................?

Only for McCann there would be no club
It is always a great source of amusement to be quoted by a fool, even more so if quoted by a disalusioned "stickie"

apalachie

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 06:38:04 AM »
They need to get rid of McCann ......................................?

Only for McCann there would be no club
He's another one well past his sell by date, same songs week after week, boring.

JEANJEANNIE

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »
A lot of clubs are on the verge of "going to the wall" because of the economic situation. The Davitts seem to be holding on to their punters. I watched the Celtic match yesterday in the PDF (Andersonstown Social Club) and the place was  packed.

Sally Ann

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 12:29:24 PM »
I loved going to the Dockers Club, 1980's  ~ only problem was getting a taxi home from it and it was a long lonely walk back to Castle Street.  My mates could get their lifts to the north of the city, and was left on me todd!  :cray:

I can't believe McCann is still on the go there!  He wasn't the worse, but I'm sure young ones today don't want to hear his style of singing.
I only got drunk, I never got stupid!

belle

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 06:38:43 PM »
Yank McCann was a mate of my daddys.
Love like you've never been hurt,
Dance like no one's watching,
Sing like no one can hear you.

Dickie

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 12:14:16 AM »
As Segouia said McCann has kept the club going, but the problem is still there these clubs cannot attract new blood and sadly will eventually go to the wall. I am a Forresters man and it is exactly the same "House of Wax " same ould faces every week, cannot attract young people to join.
 But I go to the Dockers a couple times a year, but just to see old faces, But as the song goes, "Year after Year more old men disappear, someday no-one will march there at all".
What a marvellous night for a Moondance

glenb

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 12:50:48 AM »
I remember my Uncle bringing me into the Dockers and pointed out a man that had a white shirt and tie (the shirt collar hadn't see a wash in a while). My Uncle said the man turned up for funerals and weddings whether he knew the people or not and had a drink....

Is the Celtic really closed??? I had a feeling about Sarsfields, when I was back people where going into to have a drink 30 minutes before closing, before that there was hardly anyone in the place.

apalachie

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 12:58:15 AM »

Dickie and Me ould Segoia,
 My wife and I went there for every week for almost 30 years and were associate members, whilst I admit Sunday nights were usually the same faces and singers, Saturday nights were a different thing altogether, the acts were from all over, England,Scotland,Wales and down South as well as some local talent and were brilliant but then they just started using local talent like JJ and Tucker etc, who were good in their day but had reached their sell by date because you were seeing them far too often and they never changed their routine so people just started going elsewhere, in my case to the Star which was great and more up to date.
GlenB, the fella you are talking about is JJ Mc Kenna, a very good singer in his day but he worked as a coalman for a living and even though he would have bathed or showered after work when he was performing and working up a sweat the ingrained coal dust would sweat out and discolour his shirt,lol.