Author Topic: Sandy Row  (Read 1393188 times)

RabRow

Re: Sandy Row
« Reply #9285 on: December 11, 2011, 05:51:14 PM »
Came across this on the net. Its about the Boyne Bridge and it was known at one time as The Great Bridge,then Brickill Bridge,Saltwater Bridge and Boyne Bridge. It seems what is generally referred to as 'the Blackie' was really the Owenvarragh River or maybe I have misread that part. :-\   Oh, and welcome back PW good to have you on board again. O0

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/books/additionalsidelights/as_old_bridges.html

McCusker

« Reply #9286 on: December 11, 2011, 07:13:18 PM »
Just published a book of short stories on growing up in Sandy Row in the 60s and 70s. Anyone out there interested?R Not my words,"No Fear"! But those of "Roly",no less,out there in Cyber land and the wee soul,(or is he big?) wondering if anyone would be interested? My wee oul eyes lit up at the prospect of a wordsmith and I have taken the liberty of welcoming him on behalf of the "Rowites" (on another thread) and hope you chosen few extend a big welcome! (No pressure then Roly)! So come on then "Roly"! Why are we waiting?!! :) :)     

Hi PW welcome back -- I wrote to Roly on other main thread
I think Roly has acheived what many of us only aspire to and fair play to him but have to say this
He is tackling the right market but using the wrong strategy ie A very high percentage of posters who use this site are from Sandy Row 1945--- 1966 yonger posters would be the minority but the way to reach them is by getting a shop like the one that sells all the tapes etc in Sandy Row to advertize it --that way he reaches people closer to the era he refers to and I wish him mall the luck in the world
I dont know the name or number of the shop but sure some others will know.

Roly would have been 13 in 1966 and with respect to him what a time he missed during the 1950's that for me was our little part of the world rich in character and more so characters that will never return -more's the pity-- but I feel its worth a try for him
B
"You don't stop laughing when you get old, you get old when you stop laughing!"

Kathleen2

« Reply #9287 on: December 12, 2011, 01:18:08 AM »
Just published a book of short stories on growing up in Sandy Row in the 60s and 70s. Anyone out there interested?R Not my words,"No Fear"! But those of "Roly",no less,out there in Cyber land and the wee soul,(or is he big?) wondering if anyone would be interested? My wee oul eyes lit up at the prospect of a wordsmith and I have taken the liberty of welcoming him on behalf of the "Rowites" (on another thread) and hope you chosen few extend a big welcome! (No pressure then Roly)! So come on then "Roly"! Why are we waiting?!! :) :)     

Billy lovely to see a post from you. You have been missed by many on here including myself.  :-*
" Tell them for their tomorrow, we gave our today"
A World War 1 soldier.

In memory of my grandfather, James McGimpsey. 9th Royal Scots.

urneygirl

« Reply #9288 on: December 12, 2011, 03:36:22 AM »
Billy, how's it going ? it's great to see you posting again, you have been missed, a few of your buddies have been holding the fort and doing a great job keeping Sandy Row alive, I hope all is well with you and your family  :-**

andy

« Reply #9289 on: December 12, 2011, 12:19:38 PM »
PW,   where can your book be bought??  welcome back are you here to stay??
        i hope so,
                   andy.
yy u r yy u b i c u r yy 4 me

roly

« Reply #9290 on: December 12, 2011, 06:44:32 PM »
I grew up in Sandy Row (Kensington Street) in the 50s and 60s - left in 72. Now live in France. Just written a book of short stories on Sandy Row and it was published last week, called 'Lights of The Row'. McCusker, Billy and Irishdiva directed me to this thread thinking that there might be people interested and I thank them for that.
If you would like more info please let me know.
Best,
Stephen

kraftcheese

« Reply #9291 on: December 12, 2011, 11:00:09 PM »
Hi Roly, Congratulations on the publication of your book.  I have a Kindle and wondered if your book was available as an e-book?  Good luck!
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

Kathleen2

« Reply #9292 on: December 13, 2011, 12:33:29 AM »
I grew up in Sandy Row (Kensington Street) in the 50s and 60s - left in 72. Now live in France. Just written a book of short stories on Sandy Row and it was published last week, called 'Lights of The Row'. McCusker, Billy and Irishdiva directed me to this thread thinking that there might be people interested and I thank them for that.
If you would like more info please let me know.
Best,
Stephen

Roly, definitely interested. Would be available for a Sony e-reader ?
A World War 1 soldier.

sydenhambetty

« Reply #9293 on: December 13, 2011, 12:45:09 AM »
Congratulations Roly on your book. Hope it does really well for you. Billy if you are jukin in, want to wish you and yours a very Happy Christmas and of course to all on the Sandyrow thread. The best of everything in the New Year. :)
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

Kathleen2

« Reply #9294 on: December 13, 2011, 12:54:31 AM »
Thank you Betty. Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year too :-*
A World War 1 soldier.

roly

« Reply #9295 on: December 13, 2011, 11:38:32 AM »
Dear Rowites,

Thank you very much for all your encouragement and tips - and I will try to find that bookshop in the Row where I can deposit a few copies. Should be over in January. The book is a work of fiction based on growing up in Kensington Street, but sorry, apart from the cover which has a picture of the Folk museum's famous street, there are no other pictures. But you will have all the pictures in your head as you recognise the familiar turf. The stories can be read individually but the whole can also be read as a novel and does get more sombre as it moves into 1972 when I left to go to university in England.
It is on Amazon although they say it is 'out of print' - that just means the publisher hasn't sent it yet. By next week it should be fine.
Thanks again.
Stephen Rowley

Rangerover

« Reply #9296 on: December 13, 2011, 03:25:59 PM »
Tommy just turned 70 last year - but he still looks good for his age.
Haven't really had time to check the thread yet, as you know I'm a bit new to this. A friend suggested that I join in order to promote this book in case anyone might be interested, but we'll see.
Will tell Tommy have been chatting to you.

Best, S

Hello Roly,

Welcome to the SRF..... its great to see that you have published a book relating to Sandy Row, I sincerely hope that it turns out to be a huge success for.

Tommy Roly...... now that name brings back happy memories of the Shaftsbury snooker hall, Tommy was some snooker player in his day, in those days he was one of the "elite" group of players who had their own snooker cue !

In fact I always had the feeling that if Tommy had wanted to become a professional snooker player he could have turned pro, as he had it all.

If it were today he would be snapped up by some snooker manager, in my humble opinion that's how good he was.

But like so many of us at that age there were too many distractions going on around us to allow us to concentrate at the things that we had a little bit of talent at........ wine,women and song come to mind  :D

Rangerover

« Reply #9297 on: December 13, 2011, 03:38:38 PM »
Hi PW,

Its great to see you reappearing again on the SRF...... your presence has been greatly missed mate.

I hope all is well with both you and yours, take care and I hope to see you on the SRF on a regular basis again.

Billy I'm not sure if you saw the couple of little videos that I put together following a recent visit to the Normandy coastline.... I mentioned at the time that they would mean something to you.

So at the risk of boring the other forum members I'll take the liberty to post the links again .........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-U1fhOxDmg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKeHhdzcr3w

Billy keep an eye out for the N.I regiment badges that are proudly displayed in the war museum in Saint Mer Eglise.... it made me feel very proud of wee Norn Iron as I'm certain it will for you also.

WELCOME BACK Billy

george moore

« Reply #9298 on: December 15, 2011, 09:44:37 PM »
If it was the same Jim Guiney who had a "shiffle group" the Black Shirts he was viewed by many as a thug and a very dispicable individual. I believe he may have passed-on but it does not change my honest opinion of his general behaviour.

roly

« Reply #9299 on: December 15, 2011, 10:11:29 PM »
This is really for Billy and Rangerover.

I live near Arras in northern France. Next April I am holding a conference at Artois University on 'D.H.Lawrence, his Contemporaries and the Great War'. I was wondering if anyone might have two or three letters from soldiers writing home before the battle of the Somme. We will probably have a letter-reading evening (mainly French and English but also some German letters). I would love to include a few from Northern Ireland.
In 2013 there should also be a conference on 'Memory and the Past' and I intend to focus on Northern Irish poets, Protestant Identity and the the Battle of the Somme. Interested?
If you come at any time to my part of France, call in for a wee drop.
Best, Stephen