Author Topic: St Patrick's Barnageeha, Antrim Road  (Read 317527 times)

Kevin Ward

Re: St Patrick's Barnageeha, Antrim Road
« Reply #2310 on: March 05, 2019, 06:22:01 PM »
Hi Sweenytodd. .Kevin Ward here, I went to Barney 66 to 71 ....used to live in Dawson st and my sister used to work in the Waldorf . If I remember right she was the book keeper but later went on to do hair, I'm not sure of the timeframe but would have been in the 60s.

sweenytodd

« Reply #2311 on: March 05, 2019, 07:05:04 PM »
Hi Kevin I left St Pats about 1959 worked in Waldorf for a couple off years Only in the barber shop a lady called Jean Mc Hugh was book keeper and receptionst  i then Think you and your sister were younger than Sam and i. I lived in 112 New lodge Rd up until 1972

Kevin Ward

« Reply #2312 on: March 05, 2019, 07:41:26 PM »
Hi Sweenytodd. .you're right I'm only 64 and my sister Geraldine is now in her 70s. You would probably know Artie Dalzell, I think he lived on the New Lodge up around the top. In the 70s we hung around the shop on Hallidays Rd, there was Geordie Simpson, Hughie Simpson, Gerry mcAuley, and lots of others. Wild times they were, especially the Barney buses going down Antrim rd after 3.30.

sj

« Reply #2313 on: March 07, 2019, 12:03:40 PM »
Hi Sweenytodd. .you're right I'm only 64 and my sister Geraldine is now in her 70s. You would probably know Artie Dalzell, I think he lived on the New Lodge up around the top. In the 70s we hung around the shop on Hallidays Rd, there was Geordie Simpson, Hughie Simpson, Gerry mcAuley, and lots of others. Wild times they were, especially the Barney buses going down Antrim rd after 3.30.
Hello Kevin
I knew some Simpsons who had a fruit shop. I left Barney in 1962 an ex had left Spamount St by 1964. I returned in 66 and met Sweeney again about 1973.
I mostly walked home   Are you related to the Ward bros who ran a school disco. :)
I'm patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it ...

tours

« Reply #2314 on: March 07, 2019, 12:06:54 PM »
I see that the name of the school is not Trinity College but Blessed Trinity college.   Who picked that name ?? :D
Sj? ??? ??
Could you please explain?

Kevin Ward

« Reply #2315 on: March 07, 2019, 04:20:17 PM »
Hi Sj. .that is the Simpsons that had the shop at Trainfield st and newlodge, they were also involved in the greyhound racing. Geordie Simpson is living up by the Waterworks, saw him just a couple of years ago when I was back for my brothers funeral  (Peter Ward), I'm in Canada, have been since 82. I'm not related to the disco Wards but regularly went to the Barney disco lots of good times there. Gerry mcauley used to live in the very top house in Spamount St, a few years since I saw him but keep in touch through Facebook etc... I bumped into Tony Morelli a few years ago, they had the ice cream shop on the Newlodge. .this thread sort of blends with the Newlodge one, actually it's difficult to separate them....best regards.. Kevin

sj

« Reply #2316 on: March 07, 2019, 10:24:44 PM »
Hi Sj. .that is the Simpsons that had the shop at Trainfield st and newlodge, they were also involved in the greyhound racing. Geordie Simpson is living up by the Waterworks, saw him just a couple of years ago when I was back for my brothers funeral  (Peter Ward), I'm in Canada, have been since 82. I'm not related to the disco Wards but regularly went to the Barney disco lots of good times there. Gerry mcauley used to live in the very top house in Spamount St, a few years since I saw him but keep in touch through Facebook etc... I bumped into Tony Morelli a few years ago, they had the ice cream shop on the Newlodge. .this thread sort of blends with the Newlodge one, actually it's difficult to separate them....best regards.. Kevin

Kevin,
Weii, well...it's a very small world.  As Sweeney knows I lived in the top house in Spamomt St.  My parents sold the house to Mr  & Mrs McAuley in early 1969 and moved to the top of the Whitewll Rd.  I never met their son but knew the father well.  A cousin of mine was Joe Mc Williams ( the artist ) who lived on Trainfield St and who eventually owned the Cavehill Gallery.  When did your older brother go to school and did he go to Barney . I can recall a Peter Ward at some stage in my life.( If he was your older brother ). I'm sorry to hear that you had a brother who died.  My best friend at school was Leonard Hughes amongst others and he died in America.  Another friend was George Rooney who left for England ( His father was English ) and we never met again.    Those were quite sad events as when we left school we never saw many of our friends, and there was a lot going on at the time in our lives. The opportunity to catch up never happened as I left the North of Ireland and there were hugh population movements in Belfast.
Did you know that Billy O'Neill the history and religious teacher died recently.?  Keep in contact.Sam O'Neill ;) [size=78%].[/size]

Kevin Ward

« Reply #2317 on: March 07, 2019, 11:16:59 PM »
Hi Sam. .it sure is small world, just a couple of months ago I met a Jim Donnelly here in Canada, he used to live in the barrack at the bottom of Dawson st, he was originally from Carrick hill, I think he went to Barney. My brother Peter went to St Malachys, he died in 2016 and was in his 70s. I have another brother Brian he would be about 69 now, but he used to play in the John F Kennedy pipe band back in the late 60s and he went to St Mary's in Barrack St. I'm the youngest of nine so I'm just a wee nipper. The name Leonard Hughes rings a bell. I used to play a bit of hurling at Barney, but the only names I remember are the Mulgrew brothers and Buddy Holly of course, and if I remember right we were hopeless. Actually Mrs McAuley just passed away last year, she had been in a nursing home for quite a few years. I did hear about Billy o Neill, and Harry Enright a few years ago. I also did a lot of night classes at Patrickville ha ha, of course half of Barney and the Newlodge did to. Best Regards.....Kevin

sj

« Reply #2318 on: March 08, 2019, 04:24:26 AM »
Hi Sam. .it sure is small world, just a couple of months ago I met a Jim Donnelly here in Canada, he used to live in the barrack at the bottom of Dawson st, he was originally from Carrick hill, I think he went to Barney. My brother Peter went to St Malachys, he died in 2016 and was in his 70s. I have another brother Brian he would be about 69 now, but he used to play in the John F Kennedy pipe band back in the late 60s and he went to St Mary's in Barrack St. I'm the youngest of nine so I'm just a wee nipper. The name Leonard Hughes rings a bell. I used to play a bit of hurling at Barney, but the only names I remember are the Mulgrew brothers and Buddy Holly of course, and if I remember right we were hopeless. Actually Mrs McAuley just passed away last year, she had been in a nursing home for quite a few years. I did hear about Billy o Neill, and Harry Enright a few years ago. I also did a lot of night classes at Patrickville ha ha, of course half of Barney and the Newlodge did to. Best Regards.....Kevin
Kevin, I left St Pats in 1959 and went to St Malachy's . I knew a Peter Ward someplace but on examining the Collegian I can find a Noel & Brendan Ward , with an e in Ward.  I would have been about the same age as Peter.
I came back to St Pats to tidy up exam results in 62 and met a whole new group of people.  The only two constants were Noel O'Kane ( had a shop in Dawson St ) and Peter Privilige and both left with me at the end of the school year in 1962.  They both went to teacher training college in London. I live in Brisbane.  At the beginning of life at St Pats in 1955 the school had a good basketball and soccer teams. The number of teachers and clergy that the school educated was amazing.  What is the name of the town or nearest town to you.  I have a cousin who lives in Oshawa and who went to St Pats....Sam :)

Kevin Ward

« Reply #2319 on: March 08, 2019, 05:21:37 AM »
Hi Sam....Peter was born in 42 so he would have started St Malachys approx 53, and I think he left to start work as soon as he could. I remember O Kane's shop and I vaguely remember Noel, but I do remember Patricia O Kane my other brother Brian went out with her for a while. I'm in a town called Kentville, Nova Scotia. .moved here just over a year ago from the Frazer Valley BC where we had lived for 35 years. Lots of snow here but very nice place and great summers. I have a niece in Hampton Victoria. I saw another post on the forum from one of the Cushnans of Lepper St, and that brought to mind John Arthur's also Lepper St, same age as me, and knocked about with him, he went to St Malachys and then Barney. I think his older brother Rab would have been the same age as you, and was either a seaman or had a butcher shop not too sure.....all the best....Kevin

Bread Basket

« Reply #2320 on: March 08, 2019, 08:20:21 PM »
Malachy Mulgrew... he was in my class.  moi also spent a few late nights in Patrickville ... was in “the Windy Gap “ from Sept 65 to June 71

sj

« Reply #2321 on: March 09, 2019, 08:35:40 AM »
Hi Sam....Peter was born in 42 so he would have started St Malachys approx 53, and I think he left to start work as soon as he could. I remember O Kane's shop and I vaguely remember Noel, but I do remember Patricia O Kane my other brother Brian went out with her for a while. I'm in a town called Kentville, Nova Scotia. .moved here just over a year ago from the Frazer Valley BC where we had lived for 35 years. Lots of snow here but very nice place and great summers. I have a niece in Hampton Victoria. I saw another post on the forum from one of the Cushnans of Lepper St, and that brought to mind John Arthur's also Lepper St, same age as me, and knocked about with him, he went to St Malachys and then Barney. I think his older brother Rab would have been the same age as you, and was either a seaman or had a butcher shop not too sure.....all the best....Kevin

I am about a year younger than Peter would have been.  I don't know any of the name that you mention.   I went to the Star of the Sea Primary school on Hallidays Rd and was in the same class as Malachy Ash who opened a butchers shop in the area some years later.
Perhaps more people will post on this thread and keep it alive even though the school has changed name.
Here is a question for you about Nova Scotia which must be a fantastic place to live." When did Nova Scotia join Canada".  In the 1st W.W. it was independent.  I have the question in a quiz.  I had my fathers family who lived in Artillery St before it was knocked down and not far away was where Billy Steele's family home was situated.( a principal ).    :)

Kevin Ward

« Reply #2322 on: March 12, 2019, 12:31:08 AM »
Hi SJ ....Nova Scotia was one of the founding members of Canada in 1867, according to my wife who is from the Yukon, so you might be thinking of Newfoundland which joined Canada in 1949 . I haven't been on for a few days as I've been arranging flights to Belfast and Devon in England. My remaining brother Brian is in very poor health so we are making the trip asap. I was wondering, did you ever hear of a Joseph Downing....he was my step brother and died very young, I was only four years old at the time, so about 1959-60 he would have been early 20s, he used to work for Star Taxis.
 I knew a Frankie and Column Steele, they lived down bottom of Newlodge. I always remember the very first day at Barney, about 12 of us reckoned that as it was our first day then by rights we were entitled to the afternoon off so off we went....big mistake Toot was waiting for all of us next day and the outcome was not good ha ha....best regards....Kevin

sj

« Reply #2323 on: March 12, 2019, 07:03:08 AM »
Hi SJ ....Nova Scotia was one of the founding members of Canada in 1867, according to my wife who is from the Yukon, so you might be thinking of Newfoundland which joined Canada in 1949 . I haven't been on for a few days as I've been arranging flights to Belfast and Devon in England. My remaining brother Brian is in very poor health so we are making the trip asap. I was wondering, did you ever hear of a Joseph Downing....he was my step brother and died very young, I was only four years old at the time, so about 1959-60 he would have been early 20s, he used to work for Star Taxis.
 I knew a Frankie and Column Steele, they lived down bottom of Newlodge. I always remember the very first day at Barney, about 12 of us reckoned that as it was our first day then by rights we were entitled to the afternoon off so off we went....big mistake Toot was waiting for all of us next day and the outcome was not good ha ha....best regards....Kevin

Thanks Kevin...it is Newfoundland.     I am sorry to hear about your brother Brian and hope that he gets better.  I don't know the name Joseph Downing but he would have been older than me.  I did know a Joe Mc Vicker who lived in Dawson St and who went to the Star of the Sea and Barney and I think that he lived opposite the O'Kanes.
Have a good trip and hopefully talk to you when you return..Sam

tours

« Reply #2324 on: March 12, 2019, 07:42:49 AM »
Sj, what is wrong with the name 'Blessed Trinity College'???
Also, why did you laugh about it, in your previous post?
Thankyou, in advance of your response.
I wait with anticipation