Author Topic: *10 FREE searches* at rootsireland.ie!  (Read 3433 times)

Tischris

*10 FREE searches* at rootsireland.ie!
« on: March 23, 2012, 10:25:03 PM »
From yesterday rootsireland are giving away 10 FREE searches to enable users to navigate their new system  :)
http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?id=home
"The IFHF ORS has been converted to a credit system. All user balances have been upgraded to the new credit system automatically.
Part of this upgrade has been the reduction in the cost of a record from 5 to as low as 2.50 depending on the amount of credit purchased. However, users will be charged 1 credit for a page of index search results. Every user will be given 10 free searches"

ms

Re: *10 FREE searches* at rootsireland.ie!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 07:50:51 PM »
hello  Tischris
 but where is the euros any one had in credit ??
ms

Tischris

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
I don't know!  ??? I had none, so I wouldn't have noticed. I suggest you contact them & hopefully it's just a glitch?
Still, it's a good freebie & lower charges than before.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:22:32 PM »
ms, this is what they say:

From 22nd March 2012: The rootsireland.ie Online Research System is now using a credit system. All user balances have been upgraded to the new credit system automatically. There has been a reduction in the cost of a single record from 5.00 to as low as 2.50, depending on the amount of credits purchased. However, all users will be charged 1 credit for a page of 10 index search results at 00.10 cent (EURO) per page. Every user will be given 10 free searches to familiarize themselves with the system.
I read this to mean that if you have any balance it wil be addes to the new credit system ... I also read it to mean that whereas before you could search & view 10 free index searches, now we will be charged 00.10 cents to view them before you can decide which record to purchase.  But you have 10 free search indexes to get the idea.  then you are charged from 2.5 euros - ???? depending on how many credits you purchase ... confusing or what
I stand to be corrected, perhaps Tischris has tried it & can enlighten us, but thats how I read it.

ms

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 11:13:57 PM »
hello  17124
just tried it and no credit euros add to my account ?? will post their reply when i have it
ms

Tischris

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »
I tend to agree with you,  that's the way I see it too. 10c doesn't seem a lot to get the 'list' of matching names dates. I reckon the half price 2.50euro saving on looking at actual records will out-weigh any cents spent.
If someone had a lot of credit in their acc before the change over, I can't see how they could wipe their balance? I recently bought credits on UHF & would be miffed if they swallowed it into a 'new system'.
I guess only time will tell & someone can enlighten us :-\

Tischris

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 11:18:11 PM »
ms,
looks like you got the job of enlightening us! ;)

celticmoon

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 01:09:52 AM »
I just was in rootsireland and they give you free searches but didnt seem diff than before and you have to re register to use. I re registered and used my 10 credits to do a search on several names to find exactly what I wanted. Wrote down the info and paid for 150 credits. It takes 1 credit to review the recs again and 25 credits to see the file. I have 23 credits left that I cant use as I dont have enough. I did not get all the files I thought I would so be careful as they double dip so to speak.
Family Names: Carney, Murphy, Keenan, Cromie, Carmichael, Hackett,  Monaghan and McKenna.
Any info on these family names is welcomed.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 09:49:49 AM »
Well folks, here's my thoughts for what they're worth.  I've always been happy to pay for a quality service, provided I'm not being ripped off.  Whilst UHF also have  this credit buying system, one can at least know that they only have to spend the amount of credit required per pay view and thats after a list of possible hits have been found.  Now, in this ever increasing expensive genealogy game, I'm expected to "bank" my money with an organisation who, gets the benefit of my money, with interest.  I don't like that and it seems to be a money making exercise.  celticmoon, did you know before you purchased your credits how much each view would cost you & that you would be left with an insufficent amount to purchase more?  Out of interest, how much did 150 credits cost?  As a subscriber, I wasn't notified of these changes, but worse still, they do not set out exactly how the system works and so plenty will get caught out.
Sorry UHF, loved your site, found it invaluable on occassions, but you won't be getting my custom in the future. 

celticmoon

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 10:39:28 AM »
Well folks, here's my thoughts for what they're worth.  I've always been happy to pay for a quality service, provided I'm not being ripped off.  Whilst UHF also have  this credit buying system, one can at least know that they only have to spend the amount of credit required per pay view and thats after a list of possible hits have been found.  Now, in this ever increasing expensive genealogy game, I'm expected to "bank" my money with an organisation who, gets the benefit of my money, with interest.  I don't like that and it seems to be a money making exercise.  celticmoon, did you know before you purchased your credits how much each view would cost you & that you would be left with an insufficent amount to purchase more?  Out of interest, how much did 150 credits cost?  As a subscriber, I wasn't notified of these changes, but worse still, they do not set out exactly how the system works and so plenty will get caught out.
Sorry UHF, loved your site, found it invaluable on occassions, but you won't be getting my custom in the future.

Hello, what is confusing to me when I did my searches was the site said you get 10 free searches, you had this option before. The only difference was it had a way to add parents names for reference. My names were Murphy and Carney. There are different ways to spell Carney so it helped some. They ask you to re register before getting on the site and I think this is a way of using your 10 free searches. Probably best to find what you need first and write down  and go back to re register. I found 5 files that helped some and thought I would get 6. 1 credit to re review was charged and 25 credits to view the doc. I was confused maybe. I spent about 25.00 US dollars for 5 files and still have 22-23 credits left but not enough to purchase any more info. Hope I explained proper. 150 credits. I did find some useful info for my granny, as she died of TB when my Mom was a baby but dont think I will use the site again. Credits good for a yr I think. I did not know I would be charged a credit again and be left with insufficient amount. Also you are charged to look at every page for names so go in first and find what page your name is on and write down then register, you may get to add 10 credits instead of losing as I did.
Family Names: Carney, Murphy, Keenan, Cromie, Carmichael, Hackett,  Monaghan and McKenna.
Any info on these family names is welcomed.

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 08:03:28 AM »
DOES THIS MAKE THINGS ANY CLEARER?  ::) think most people have better things to do with 60euros

Credit Systemwww.rootsireland.ie has introduced a credits system with various bulk buy options that give users a chance to view the detail of a record for as little as 2.00 EURO per record (based on purchasing 750 credits at 60.00 EURO).  Please see below for the current purchase options.

Every user can view 10 pages of Search Results for FREE on registration.  Any user that registered before March 22nd 2012 will also be able to view 10 pages of search results at no charge.  If a user wishes to view the details of any record returned as part of these ten free pages of search results they will need to purchase credits to do so (subject to our terms and conditions).

Users will need to purchase credits to view additional pages of search results when they have used the 10 free pages of results or to view the details of any record.
If you have previously paid to view the details of a record you will still be able access it for 24 months from the date of purchase.

Our site currently provides access to over 19 million Irish genealogical  records. Users can search an individual centre/county's records or perform a search across all centres' data. Please see Our Interactive Map of Genealogy Centres around Ireland to see what county genealogy centres have data available and their Online Sources.  Many more records will be added in the coming weeks.

The current purchase options are as follows:

To view the results of any single search up to a maximum of 10 results per page will cost 1 credit.

Any single record will cost 25 Credits . By bulk buying credits you can avail of significant savings. Please see the bulk purchase options listed below.

Amount to purchase:
5.00 - (35 Credits)
10.00 - (73 Credits) - Bulk Saving
18.00 - (150 Credits) - Bulk Saving
32.00 - (320 Credits) - Bulk Saving
60.00 - (750 Credits) - Bulk Saving

Therefore, to view one page of search results will cost 00.10 cent (EURO), and to view 10 pages of search results will cost 1.00 EURO.

CMcG

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »
I know this won't be a popular opinion but I think this change isn't all negative.

This is the same system (charging a small amount for an index search and larger amount for seeing the actual record) that Scotland's People have been using.

In this instance, the losers are folk who used rootsireland just for index searches, but to be honest, there's such limited information on the index that I wonder what use folk got from it, the proof of the pudding, as always, is in the eating, that is, seeing the actual record.

Anyway, the bulk buying option represents a significant reduction - assuming that your prior research has reasonably narrowed names and dates down and that you only get 1 page of hits, the cost of seeing the index result then the record itself, under the 60 euro bulk option is just 2.31 euros (1.91 at Sterling conversion rates today 6 April 2012). That's a BIG saving, but not as cheap as the cheapest bulk option on the UHF site, though it only covers Antrim and Down.

TBonz

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 06:29:01 PM »
Eh. From free to pay = bad. And they don't in any way, shape or form compare to Scotland's People, which I've used extensively. Scotland's People has more complete records, and you get actual records, not transcripts which may or may not be accurate (I've found inaccuracies, which means I then have to pay again to get original records).

Scotland's People all the way!

CMcG

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 11:19:51 AM »
Eh. From free to pay = bad. And they don't in any way, shape or form compare to Scotland's People, which I've used extensively. Scotland's People has more complete records, and you get actual records, not transcripts which may or may not be accurate (I've found inaccuracies, which means I then have to pay again to get original records).

Scotland's People all the way!

Well yes, if all you ever did was search the rootsireland indexes, then 'from free to pay' is indeed bad.  But people who look at and then pay for the actual records were actually subsidising you in terms of funding the database and the provision of same over the internet. Why should they pay for you? 

The bottom line is that, for the folk who actually pay for rootsireland to continue and be in existence, the cost is coming down...

The transcription / original document argument is a different one.   ;)

Tischris

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »

Well yes, if all you ever did was search the rootsireland indexes, then 'from free to pay' is indeed bad.  But people who look at and then pay for the actual records were actually subsidising you in terms of funding the database and the provision of same over the internet. Why should they pay for you? 

The bottom line is that, for the folk who actually pay for rootsireland to continue and be in existence, the cost is coming down...

The transcription / original document argument is a different one.   ;)
I'm with CMcG on this one. I never use info. from an index search only, they're really a first step in finding out if an actual record exists. So, for me the RIre records are cheaper than before. If I did use the free search before & not buy records it was pointless because I couldn't use any of the info. The index does help eliminate 'possible' matches like Emerald Ancestors but useless unless you pay.