Author Topic: St Josephs Primary School Ballyhackamore 1960-1967  (Read 8776 times)

philfluter

Re: St Josephs Primary School Ballyhackamore 1960-1967
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 10:44:18 PM »
hi leo

sititng with my brothers looking at the posts

dennis holland that you didnt mention is in SA working in finance

seamus says if it wasnt for john odonnelk e would nt hav met margaret his wife

adrian adams is still here - his wife kate died a year - hes a grandfather
michael duffy is in englane - seamus writes to him still

john mckeown in is ballymena has a shop in the tower centre - a tobacconist etc

dont know anything about raymond dornan

also george kernoghan wnet to be a pilot but colour blind and ended up a tax inspector

ciaran moore seamus sees his regularly - went to be a priest - ended up a tax inspector - trend?

seamus is giving me photos to post

leo harford

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »
I would be happy to hear from any of those ex pupils. Ciaran Moore is a name that I havent heard for
very many years and had clean forgotten..... but.... a face came to mind when i read the name.

By great coincidence I bumped into Michael Duffy in the mid 70's when I was leaving a railway station in London and we met once or twice after that. I was on holiday in the UK.

Dennis Holland is a name that I have no memory of? When you say SA I take in he is in South Africa and not South America? Is he in Capetown?

Thanks for all that info, Philip.

George Kernaghan I do remember....  Is he the brother of Patricia who wrote the parish history?.

leo harford

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 08:20:47 PM »

I was on the top floor of the school, the windows were open and our teacher Mr Magee was out of the room and we were mucking about with a soccer ball and I ended up throwing it out of the window.

Unfortunately the ball hit Mr Magee and up he comes to the class room, I didn't get the cane but he pulled me about by the shirt and it tore. Something had to give as I was nearly 15 years old and nearly 6' tall.

Anyhow, I thought no more about and a few days later my mum told me that Mr Magee had called round to our house to apologise for tearing my shirt and offered to replace it.

My mum knew nothing about it and told him not to worry himself.

Greetings digger! I must say I liked George Magee. We called him " Geordie "but not to his face!
He had a hot temper and was often stressed but I think he was a gentle soul at heart. He smoked a lot ... dreadful cigarettes, called Gallaher's Blues.. At one stage he moved on to Gallahers Greens.... I think , a slightly milder version. If you google the cigarette names you can read about Gallaher's tobacco and the factory in York St.

I believe he died of a heart attack?  If so, the Gallaher's Blues  and the stress probably had something to do with that.

Yesterday was our first day of Spring so looking forward to warm weather!

Leo

IrishDigger

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 02:20:54 PM »
G'day Leo, I only ever remember him smoking Gallahers Greens and he was a heavy smoker.

I worked part-time as a message boy in Cherry Valley from the age of 11 until I was 15 -- it was good money at 3.4.6 and during Christmas with my tips I brought home up to 20. It was Mr Magee who got me the job, as the lady from the church had asked him to recommend a pupil to work as a message boy in her shop.

Jim L

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 05:28:47 PM »
Hello, to all you ex-St Joe's folk

I was at St Josephs up to approx 1956/57, but as I was the quiet, shy, low-profile type (!) some of you may remember my Dad more than me ( he was the manager of Paddy Lamb's in those days .. !) 

I'm new here but I recognize and knew several of the names mentioned. In particular ....

Hi Leo
We lived very near each other at Summerhill, and used to hang out together ( you, me, your wee brother Brian, & Don McClain and others ... ring any bells yet ?
I think the person you met in London in the 70's was maybe me .. though you said it was Michael Duffy. Just that I recall meeting up with you on some of your hols back from the dark continent ... and you & me driving round town in your hired car ... looking for some fun .. !  ;)
Any bells ringing now .. ?

Hi Raymond ( rayk )
I remember you at both St Joe's and St Mal's ... sometimes wondered how / where some of the old pals ended up ... Gregory Kelly was another name from that era .. you still in touch ?

I also recall these names - Ciaran Moore, the Loader twins, Michael Duffy, Robert (?) Dornan, Jamie Flanagan .. and of course the teachers. Particularly Mr McGee & Mr Rogan ... both good teachers and good men.

Anyway, good to read this nostalgia trip and say hello ... you guessed the name Jim Lunny yet, Leo .. ?
 :)     

philfluter

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »
hi jim

i rememebr the name lunny through my dad who worked in paddy and din lambs - maybe managed them also for a time and also wilsons at holland drive

Jim L

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2012, 07:26:41 PM »
Hi Phil

Yes, looks like our Dads did the rounds in the Hack .. did your Dad also work at Shandon Park golf club at one time ?

leo harford

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2012, 08:50:35 PM »
Hello, to all you ex-St Joe's folk

I was at St Josephs up to approx 1956/57, but as I was the quiet, shy, low-profile type (!) some of you may remember my Dad more than me ( he was the manager of Paddy Lamb's in those days .. !) 

I'm new here but I recognize and knew several of the names mentioned. In particular ....

Hi Leo
We lived very near each other at Summerhill, and used to hang out together ( you, me, your wee brother Brian, & Don McClain and others ... ring any bells yet ?
I think the person you met in London in the 70's was maybe me .. though you said it was Michael Duffy. Just that I recall meeting up with you on some of your hols back from the dark continent ... and you & me driving round town in your hired car ... looking for some fun .. !  ;)
Any bells ringing now .. ?

Hi Raymond ( rayk )
I remember you at both St Joe's and St Mal's ... sometimes wondered how / where some of the old pals ended up ... Gregory Kelly was another name from that era .. you still in touch ?

I also recall these names - Ciaran Moore, the Loader twins, Michael Duffy, Robert (?) Dornan, Jamie Flanagan .. and of course the teachers. Particularly Mr McGee & Mr Rogan ... both good teachers and good men.

Anyway, good to read this nostalgia trip and say hello ... you guessed the name Jim Lunny yet, Leo .. ?
 :)   
Hi there Jimmy,
good to hear from you. I met you in London by appointment but I bumped into the Duffer.. Michael Duffy ... by coincidence..... a few years after that .
Are you still living there?
Yes , your dad ( who came from Cavan , I think?)had just about the only car in the area at a time and it was a modern one .... A Ford Popular... I think.Maybe a 1949 model?  I Remember you and I and Don  used to swop comics !!
What became of Frances, your sister?

philfluter

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2012, 08:59:01 PM »
he did jim - for 15 years until he retired

Jim L

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2012, 11:53:54 PM »
Hi Leo
Yes .. you've jogged my memory now re our meeting in London, and the old Ford Popular ( not so sure it was all that modern at the time, though )
I remember the swapping comics ritual - one of the leading pass-times in those days pre-internet and pre-computer chip, haha ... we really did live in innocent times, eh ?
No, I moved from London to North of England over 20 years ago - and Frances moved to Canada in the 70's.
How about your brother Brian - is he still in sunny Belfast ? And your sister ?

I must research for that parish history book you mentioned Leo - would be interesting to see any old photos from St Josephs school ... though I don't remember ever posing for any !

philfluter

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 12:18:22 AM »
where are you jim l and i'll see about a parish history for you

Jim L

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2012, 12:49:12 AM »
Hi

Thanks ...that's a kind offer Phil but, no offence - I'm wary about posting my address / email details on discussion boards. Would be good if you are able to put some old St Joe's photos on here - as I say, I was there up to 1956/57. Don't know if any school photos exist that far back ...

I was back visiting  family in the late 80's and had a practice round at Shandon Park. My old man was with me & introduced me to your Dad - a big man, with - lets say - a short haircut ? And I think I was about a similar age group to your brother Seamus - name is familiar, but memory's fading ... haha.
regards

philfluter

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2012, 08:27:08 AM »
you're right about addresses

name came back into my head last night for your dad - Eddie?

theres a st colmcilles website - has a short history of the church

Jim L

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2012, 03:08:42 PM »
Phil
Yes, Eddie it was. Sadly he passed away about 8 years ago.

I had a quick look at the parish website, will maybe fire off an email about the book

Also read more detail on the " Ballyhackamore - East Belfast " thread on this site. Lots of fascinating stuff on there, even found an old St Josephs photo. Though it was a few years after my time, recognized some names - including Brian Harford, Leo's brother ... hello Brian.
Also saw Raymond McPhersons name .. if memory serves me, Raymond was a legend, think he was the first in Ballyhack to adopt the 'Teddy Boy' style ... 
..  :)
Other names keep coming back to me as I trawl my memory banks.. Michael McGonigle, Eddie Morrison, Brian McGuiness ... often wonder what career paths they all took. Me, I was also drawn into the Tax Inspectorate, like a few others. Must have been a St Josephs 'vocation' .. !
regards
[size=78%]  [/size]

phild707

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2012, 12:50:08 PM »

Hi Phil theFluter,
I was at saint Josephs around the same time as you 60-61 for 1 year or possibly two.
I was a quiet kid and don't remember any of the names people mention here with the exception of the teacher Paddy Rogan who I remember as a fair man in the classroom.
Every day if there were any bottles of school milk left over he would award these as prizes to the boys who could add together, most quickly, random numbers that he threw at the class.
I never won a bottle - too slow!
I had/have a cousin called Michael Duffy, a name I saw posted here. His mother's name was Mercedes and I think that his sisters name may have been the same. Michael was a few years older than me (I was born 1950)
They lived in the same street as us, Cyprus park.
I am wondering if that might be the same person you were referring to previously?

The other thing i remember about my time at St. Josephs was being an altar boy at masses and evening services with my friend Dennis.
Cheers
Phil Donnelly
Tasmania