Author Topic: Berry Family - Belfast  (Read 1145 times)

Colleen Murdoch

Berry Family - Belfast
« on: March 08, 2013, 07:48:21 PM »
Hi All,
I am new to this forum but have been researching my family tree for just over a year!  It's amazing who and what you can find in that time.  I am from Northern Ireland and currently live in Canada.  My little family and I go "home" quite often and was just there in August 2012.  Hanging out in cemeteries part of the time.
My great grandfather James Berry (b 8 Jun 1864 - d 17 Nov 1930) was from Belfast; he married Mary Agnes Scott (b 4 Jan 1868 - d 12 Aug 1939).  Mary Agnes was born in Stoneyford, Co. Antrim, where my aunt still lives near today.
I'm having great difficulty finding any of the Berry family other than my grt grandfather.  Seems there was a family falling out; Mary Agnes was to marry a local farmer (Ballinderry area) - she had her dress bought and everything.  She changed her mind and "took off to Belfast"; where she married James a few years later.
They married in the 1st Qtr of 1893 in Belfast.  They lived at 41 Cherryville Street from at least 1901 until their deaths.  James was a plumber and is said to have worked at Harland Wolfe on the Titanic.
I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction in trying to find out more about my Berry line. 
Any help you can offer would be appreciated... I need about six months in Ireland to research everything I need to!
Thank you for reading!
Colleen

sam barry

Re: Berry Family - Belfast
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »

Record Type Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage 25 Feb 1893
Groom Name james Berry
Bride Name mary Scott
Church Willowfield Church of Ireland
Parish Knockbreda
Civil District Belfast
County Down

James Berry's, Father - Robert.
Mary Scott's, Father   - Richard.

Colleen Murdoch

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:22:01 PM »
Hi Sam,
Thank you very much for this information.  Can you tell me how you found it so quickly?  Is there a resource that I can or should use.  I did know that Mary's father was Richard; so definitely the correct marriage.
Any ideas you can offer on how I can find further info on the Berry's would be appreciated.  The family knows very little about the family; including his granddaughter who is still living in Canada.
Thanks again,
Colleen
author-sam barry
Record Type Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage 25 Feb 1893
Groom Name james Berry
Bride Name mary Scott
Church Willowfield Church of Ireland
Parish Knockbreda
Civil District Belfast
County Down

James Berry's, Father - Robert.
Mary Scott's, Father   - Richard.

sam barry

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:44:26 AM »
Emeraldancestors and Ancestryireland are 2 pay per view sites and they have a lot of records,

Would this marriage record assist a little bit further ?

Ulster Historical Foundation

Field

Value

Type

Civil Marriages

Date Of Marriage

25/02/1893

Husband Firstname

JAMES

Husband Surname

BERRY

Husband Address

41 MOORE ST

Husband Occupation

LABOURER

Husband Age

FA

Husband Denomination

Church of Ireland

Husband Marital Status

Bachelor (Previously unmarried)

Husband Father Firstname

ROBERT

Husband Father Surname

BERRY

Husband Father Occupation

LABOURER

Husband Mother Firstname

Husband Mother Surname

Husband Witness Firstname

JAMES

Husband Witness Surname

STEWART

Wife Firstname

MARY

Wife Surname

SCOTT

Wife Address

44 WESTMORELAND ST

Wife Occupation

Wife Age

FA

Wife Denomination

Church of Ireland

Wife Marital Status

Spinster (Previously unmarried)

Wife Father Firstname

RICHARD

Wife Father Surname

SCOTT

Wife Father Occupation

FARMER

Wife Mother Firstname

Wife Mother Surname

Wife Witness Firstname

ANNE

Wife Witness Surname

MEILWAIN

Denomination

Comment

BY LICENCE REV J HOPKINS.

Address1

WILLOWFIELD CI Church of Ireland

Address2

BELFAST

Address2

KNOCKBREDA

Address4

Antrim

www.ancestryireland.com

JimG

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 08:05:06 PM »
     Not knowing what sources you have found. I rechecked the census and as know they lived at 41 in Cherryville Street (Ormeau, Down)
the 1911 census www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Ormeau/Cherryville_Street/211060/ shows married 18 years, children born 8, 6 alive, but only lists 5, Mary aged 17,Robert 13, Richard 11, William 6, Lizzie 4. so two have left home, or died as infants or later
Going back to 1901, that lists the older 3 children only. Extra information includes the initial A is added to Mary, both mother and daughter, the initial J is added to Richard. So one child is missing

From Mary Lennons great website http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/mcomplete1880.htm which needs donations all the time, under
MOORE'S PLACE Sandy Row to Blackstaff Road   27. Berry, Robert, fireman I add in that is north of the Lagan river in belfast and so in Co Antrim.
she lists Berryís for 1861 what she knows is not all the people in Belfast .
Her entries for MOORE'S PLACE shows no Berryís
Apart from Mary lennon the NIPRO has street directories, they are searchable by being referred to original pages.

Griffiths valuation shows an entry for a Robert Berry
An extract shows one such Robert Berry a tenant living in BROUGHAM STREET that lead me to recheck Lennonwylie for inhabitants of Brougham St 1861 but without success.

Ulster Historical Foundation ie www.ancestryireland shows
There are two births of a John with father James
BERRY, JOHN 1895   JAMES Antrim
BERRY            , JOHN 1895   JAMES Antrim
However this disappointing for the family, but it does list a marriage
BERRY            , JAMES           1861   ROBERT          Down
So that focuses on Belfast Co Down Berry

So I tried Ros Davies great website on Co Down http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/B/BehBew.htm#ben the nearest entry was Miss  Margaret            BERRY            .           Knockbreda   regd. Ballymacarrett; daughter of John Berry; married William George Ward 12 Dec 1868  CR
Sadly there isnt quite the equivalent for Co Antrim
Sam Barrys contribution is very useful, the church may have previous records
So all this brings me back to familysearch.com which I am leaving to you.
You donít explain where you got the information you have.
So sorry if none of this is new to you, and over to others to help you onwards

Colleen Murdoch

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 08:39:05 PM »
Hi Jim,
Thank you for that information; it's incredibly hard to "find" my Berry's when the family who are still living know little about them.  Seems my grt grandfather was NOT to be spoken about; it created quite a rift in the family.
With Sam's information, exact wedding date and church; I will try to "run" with that and contact the church to see if they have any other information on my Berry's.
I found the Berry as well who was a firefighter; but have no idea if he's connected or not.
All the information I have is from my aunt who I visit frequently in Ballinderry.  She is my father's sister (my dad is deceased) and their mother Elizabeth (Lizzie) Berry is my grandmother, also deceased.  When granny died she had death records for both her mother and father; so, they were passed onto my aunt and I came back from my August trip to Ireland with photos of many documents and photographs.  We actually have photos of people and we don't know who they are.  It's frustrating and quite sad that we have some many beautiful photos and nobody thought to write name son the back!
If I can't get information from the church, I'm just not sure where to go from here!
Do you know if any odl pictures exist of Cherryville Street?  I received just recently from a 2nd cousin in Ireland photos of my dad as a baby with his parents Robert Murdoch and Lizzie Berry; they lived in Vandyck Gardens in Belfast and were bombed out during easter weekend.  The odd thing about receiving the photo .. I was on Google looking for old photos and while searching received an email with the pic attached!  The timing couldn't have been better!
Thanks again for the help both Sam and you have given me... now I have a "straw I need to find"; I really appreciate the help.
Colleen

Ulster Historical Foundation  shows
There are two births of a John with father James
BERRY, JOHN 1895   JAMES Antrim
BERRY            , JOHN 1895   JAMES Antrim
However this disappointing for the family, but it does list a marriage
BERRY            , JAMES           1861   ROBERT          Down
So that focuses on Belfast Co Down Berry

So I tried Ros Davies great website on Co Down  the nearest entry was Miss  Margaret            BERRY            .           Knockbreda   regd. Ballymacarrett; daughter of John Berry; married William George Ward 12 Dec 1868  CR

You donít explain where you got the information you have.
So sorry if none of this is new to you, and over to others to help you onwards

JimG

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 08:15:02 AM »
     From http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/mcomplete1901.htm
Moore Street
 runs fromRavenhill Road to Woodstock Road its in Belfast St directory in 1901, but has a Mrs McCombe  living at No 41, I noted that nos 43, 45. Is McCann, P. J., spirit grocer.  Iím not sure if this a pub! A temptation for some.  The street still exists
Cherryville street exists using google street maps at max, it switches to Street view I could see odd no house numbers up to about 21 then I got lost. It looks rebuilt
Vandyck Gardens still exists at Newtownabbey, the Belfast blitz damage is quite well covered in photos elsewhere on the internet
 [size=78%]A paperback book exists Willowfield Parish Church, Belfast : A Record of the First 100 Years 1872-1972 [165pages] by A R Taylor , and R. H Lowry, 1973.[/size][size=78%]  [/size][size=78%]that should list what records and where. If the church doesnít have try LinenHall Library Belfast.[/size]

Its always too late with photos and family, keep plugging away
I would check PRONI for Willowfield records and Berry wills etc

Colleen Murdoch

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 02:13:40 PM »
Hi Jim, thanks once again.  I had already found most the information you have given me; however it's great to now have their residences at time of marriage (provided by Sam).  I finally found and ordered the book "Willowfield Parish Church, Belfast : A Record of the First 100 Years 1872-1972".  Although I did order it I'm not sure how much use it will be; from the 1901 Cenus on the family was listed as Presbyterian.  I had also Googled Cherryville Street and it has definitely been rebuilt; I had been hoping to find old photos!  If only I had started this years ago when my grandparents were alive.  Unfortunately, with them getting bombed out of Vandyck Gardens - the ened up with only a pillow case of items that could be saved.  All of their wedding photos etc. were destroyed.  My father and his parents moved back to Ballymoney after that; where many Murdoch/k's lived.
I also used Google Maps to see where the closest Presbyterian Church was to Cherryville Street; it seems to be Ravenhill Presbyterian.  I've sent them an email with some information and hopefully I will hear back from with positive results.  If not, I'll try the next closest Presbyterian Church.
I'll also try to connect Richard (the firefighter) to my Berry's and hope for a connection there too.  The name Richard is predominant in my family line.
I found a James Berry, a gasfitter, living at 7 Cherryville Street in 1896; and am wondering if it's my James.  He was listed as a labourer on his marriage record and a plumber in 1901; what are the chances he was a gas fitter in 1896?  I know today some people have multiple trade licences - would it have been the same then?
Have a great day, the sun if finally shining here and starting to melt the 5 feet of snow I have on my front lawn!  :)
Colleen