Author Topic: Looking for an old friend  (Read 3196 times)

Norma Jenkins

Looking for an old friend
« on: January 18, 2015, 07:55:12 PM »
Hello, I was wondering if anybody knows John Bell from York St. area. He used to go to Sammy Houston's Jazz Club. Circa 1964/65/66

Astor

Re: Looking for an old friend
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 08:15:19 PM »
Hello, I was wondering if anybody knows John Bell from York St. area. He used to go to Sammy Houston's Jazz Club. Circa 1964/65/66

Norma, go to the Excise Street Grosvenor Road thread, there is an old school photo of a John Bell that might be the person you're looking for, some people on there might know him.   The photo is on page 38 of that thread, good luck.

[/color][/size]
Que Sera Sera

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 04:23:05 AM »
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Astor

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 08:02:31 AM »
C L E V E R CMcG, I must find  out how to do that too,  I'm only become a bit savvy with how to post links very recently, but practice makes perfect (hopefully)
Que Sera Sera

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 05:22:15 PM »

C L E V E R CMcG, I must find  out how to do that too,  I'm only become a bit savvy with how to post links very recently, but practice makes perfect (hopefully)

Me being nosey went to have a look at page 38 of that thread and once I had was on that page I simply cut and pasted the full web page address at the top of that page (the bit starting www.belfastforim.co.uk/  etc. etc. etc.) into my post. Voila.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 07:48:40 PM »
Norma, Your name rings a bell, did you go to Queen Victoria or Kelvin? Do you know or remember me Lilian Ashe or my sister Margaret. Hope you don't mind me asking, there might be several people with the same name.

Norma Jenkins

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 08:36:22 PM »
Hi Lillian,

Yes I do remember you from Kelvin School.  I probably knew your sister too if I saw her picture.  Hope you get this reply.  My first time on here so I'm not really sure how to get around the site yet.  Nice to hear from you.

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 02:45:01 PM »
Hi Lillian,

Yes I do remember you from Kelvin School.  I probably knew your sister too if I saw her picture.  Hope you get this reply.  My first time on here so I'm not really sure how to get around the site yet.  Nice to hear from you.
Hello Norma, There are some pictures of us both way back on here, I will try to find out what page they are on and let you know, it is back a couple of years as I found out about the Forum from Jimmy Patterson when we met up in Belfast a few years ago on a rare visit. So I came back, got my own computer and have been on here ever since and wish that there were more of the kids I knew on here. Where did you live in Belfast? Are you still living there? I will be back on sometime to let you know the page numbers. You will get the hang of it all.

Norma Jenkins

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 03:46:49 PM »
Hi Lilian,

I lived in 60 Roden Street facing the big chimney.  The house was opposite the entry where we came through from Kelvin School.  I used to sing a lot in the school and that is maybe how you remember my name.  I have been living in Canada since 1973 but often think of the good times we had back then.  Time flies - it doesn't seem that long ago does it??  I look forward to seeing your photographs. The John Bell from excise Street is not the one I am looking for.  I knew him too though as we were always in the same class at primary school and first year at Kelvin.  Do you remember Martha Mercer.  She was my chum for a while.  If I remember correctly you lived on the Grosvenor Rd.  Am I right?  By the way I sent this same message from another page so I hope you get this ok.  Looking foward to hearing from you.  Norma  P.S. are you still living in Belfast?

ulsterman61

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 07:02:49 PM »
Hi Norma
Used to go to Sammy Houstons  (jazzer) 68-71.

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 07:17:32 PM »
Hi Lilian,

I lived in 60 Roden Street facing the big chimney.  The house was opposite the entry where we came through from Kelvin School.  I used to sing a lot in the school and that is maybe how you remember my name.  I have been living in Canada since 1973 but often think of the good times we had back then.  Time flies - it doesn't seem that long ago does it??  I look forward to seeing your photographs. The John Bell from excise Street is not the one I am looking for.  I knew him too though as we were always in the same class at primary school and first year at Kelvin.  Do you remember Martha Mercer.  She was my chum for a while.  If I remember correctly you lived on the Grosvenor Rd.  Am I right?  By the way I sent this same message from another page so I hope you get this ok.  Looking foward to hearing from you.  Norma  P.S. are you still living in Belfast?
Hi again Norma, I have turned up a few pictures to jog your memory, you will have to go into the Excise St. Grosvenor Rd. section and if you click back between the page numbers until you reach page 133 reply#1986 I am third from the left in the gymslip (hated it)! on page 135 reply #2011 me and my mum outside our shop on the Grosvenor Rd. same page #2021 my sister Margaret is 4th from the right in the middle row and had Auburn hair. My Aunty Kay lived in Roden St at the side of the entry leading to Kelvin, there was another house and then Leggio's ice cream shop, which was much used. Did you know Pauline Murray who lived almost opposite my Aunt's, they had a Morris Minor car and not many people had a car in those days. I still keep in touch with Pauline, if you know her let me know as there is a photo on here somewhere taken a few years ago when I was making a rare visit to Belfast, would have been back more frequently but for the "troubles". I moved to Luton in 1964 and lived there most of my life, I now live in Boston, England the past 12+ years. Hope to hear from you soon. Hope you have a school photo to post. ps. I also lived in Burnaby Street for a while before we moved to England.

CMcG

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 03:20:11 AM »

... if you click back between the page numbers until you reach page 133 reply#1986 ...

A wee shortcut: http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,25900.1980.html

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 05:36:04 PM »
A wee shortcut: http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,25900.1980.html
I have tried to look at this but it takes me to Excise St Grosvenor Rd. so I don't know why?????

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 06:52:20 PM »
Norma, Can you please send me a PM with your email address. I am trying to guide Pauline through what to do to get on the Forum but she isn't sure but I will have another go. Not easy when I am not near her, she has two grown up kids so hopefully they could help her. They are both well educated so should be able to help her.

Lilian Ashe

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 05:30:44 PM »
Norma Jenkins, I have emailed you twice on the address that you sent me and it has been rejected as incorrect. I have had my husband check it also and it must be incomplete or something missing. Obviously I can't print it on here, so would you please send it again, my husband says there shouldn't be any gaps and the one you sent has a gap between the numerics but I have tried it without the gap too. Pauline phoned me and I gave her the address so I must phone her back as she won't know what to do. I put your surname in case there was another Norma not because I'm angry. :D