Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 235437 times)

smith19

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #870 on: June 15, 2011, 11:52:12 AM »
Here's a couple of old Strand photos!

Are you sure these photos are of Short Strand??

BUFFALOBURGER

« Reply #871 on: June 15, 2011, 01:19:17 PM »
Are you sure these photos are of Short Strand??

Hiya Smith19, yeah all this pics were taken in or around the Strand from the 1960's through to the 80's.

The bus is travelling up the Mountpottinger road and about to pass Beechfield St, that's Mrs Murray's shop on the right. The photo was taken from the corner of Altcar St looking down the road towards Belfast lough (circa 1983). The faded colour ones were taken in the 60's on the Albertbridge Rd, (in the one with the bar- name escapes me!) Lisbon St would be on the right just out of view. In the other colour pic it is looking up to the junction of Castlereagh St, Mountpottinger Rd and Albertbridge Rd. There are a couple of the same area in B&W. In the photo of the bombed house that was taken on the Mountpottinger Rd just opposite Vulcan St/ Sheriff St a few doors down from Lizzy Grahams Shop (exact date escapes me but I think it might have been 1970 or 71. The funeral photo to my knowledge wouldn't have been published on this site or many others before was taken of the funeral cortege of 4 local IRA men Steele, Bell, Magee & Dorrian in Feb 1972 as it was leaving the Short Strand Rd and about to cross the Albert Bridge.

REP1

« Reply #872 on: June 15, 2011, 03:50:54 PM »
The faded colour ones were taken in the 60's on the Albertbridge Rd, (in the one with the bar- name escapes me!)

The Bar 40 corner of the Mountpottinger and Clanceys Castlereagh street.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

grannyspice

« Reply #873 on: June 16, 2011, 11:41:28 PM »

Hiya Smith19, yeah all this pics were taken in or around the Strand from the 1960's through to the 80's.

The bus is travelling up the Mountpottinger road and about to pass Beechfield St, that's Mrs Murray's shop on the right. The photo was taken from the corner of Altcar St looking down the road towards Belfast lough (circa 1983). The faded colour ones were taken in the 60's on the Albertbridge Rd, (in the one with the bar- name escapes me!) Lisbon St would be on the right just out of view. In the other colour pic it is looking up to the junction of Castlereagh St, Mountpottinger Rd and Albertbridge Rd. There are a couple of the same area in B&W. In the photo of the bombed house that was taken on the Mountpottinger Rd just opposite Vulcan St/ Sheriff St a few doors down from Lizzy Grahams Shop (exact date escapes me but I think it might have been 1970 or 71. The funeral photo to my knowledge wouldn't have been published on this site or many others before was taken of the funeral cortege of 4 local IRA men Steele, Bell, Magee & Dorrian in Feb 1972 as it was leaving the Short Strand Rd and about to cross the Albert Bridge.

This is taken on "The Albert" just close to the junctiion of Mount Street and Albertbriudge Road. Just at what we would have known as "outside Fuscos and Prices in the "olden days"

Kraffy

« Reply #874 on: June 20, 2011, 04:35:23 PM »
G'day Granny. The faded colour photos were taken by me in April, 1966, just prior to leaving for Australia. I recall that this was a 'cheap' 35mm slide roll which I think was Ansco color. I do remember that I was disappointed with the results. I have never been back to 're-take' them. But have seen photos of the 'devastation' since.

rocko55

« Reply #875 on: June 24, 2011, 03:51:59 PM »
There were people called McMillan that lived in Moria Street. (Dickie McMillan) Maybe connected.
Dickie McMillan was Hughies father, He was married to Mary McGivern. They lived in No20 Moira St. They had a large family Hughie, Jim, Richard, Geraldine, Pat, Mairead and Marie.

trez

« Reply #876 on: June 26, 2011, 12:49:44 AM »
hello Kaz,a good bet for Short Strand photos would be Short Strander Frankie Quinn who has a photographic exhibition in Conway Mill all next week.

If I cant get to Belfast right now, how would I get some pix from around 1973? This is the time I lived there, and yes times where hard but  a Ghetto is too extereme.  It was the people who ensured it was not a ghetto, decent hard working, honest,neighbours and friends

mickybo

« Reply #877 on: June 26, 2011, 10:25:39 PM »

If I cant get to Belfast right now, how would I get some pix from around 1973? This is the time I lived there, and yes times where hard but  a Ghetto is too extereme.  It was the people who ensured it was not a ghetto, decent hard working, honest,neighbours and friends
hi trez and welcome to the forum, where did u live in the short strand in 73? and wat were ur memories from then?
Dont eat the yellow snow.

trez

« Reply #878 on: June 26, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »
Hi Mickybo,
My Grand parents where from Mountpottinger Road, We spend alot of time visiting from Dublin.  At one stage we lived there for a couple of years 1973. They where tough years for everyone.  I have good memoires of my family,friends and neighbours at that time.

hi trez and welcome to the forum, where did u live in the short strand in 73? and wat were ur memories from then?

sydenhambetty

« Reply #879 on: June 29, 2011, 04:24:48 PM »
Frank m, Just to say ole bean that I am proud to say my life began on the Strand. A wee bit of my heart will always be there. :air_kiss:
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

mickybo

« Reply #880 on: June 29, 2011, 11:25:42 PM »
Hi Mickybo,
My Grand parents where from Mountpottinger Road, We spend alot of time visiting from Dublin.  At one stage we lived there for a couple of years 1973. They where tough years for everyone.  I have good memoires of my family,friends and neighbours at that time.
hi trez, yeah a lot of tough years as you say, i wud have been 12 in 1973 and prob at secondary school,lived just off the short strand but wud have frequented the mountpottenger in search of at riot at the barracks and well out of sight of my  ma and da lol, u rem any names from that time?

trez

« Reply #881 on: June 29, 2011, 11:38:43 PM »
Hi Mickybo,

NAMES! Never, But yes I was about 10 and remember a lot of riots, we lived on a very busy street, just at the crossroads, alot of buses and cars burned outside our door.  The next day you could burst the bubbles of paint on our green front door. My poor old gran spent alot of money repainting that front door LOL

mickybo

« Reply #882 on: June 29, 2011, 11:46:39 PM »
hi trez,when u r 10 and 12 it seem like fun, tho looking back it was pretty scary and dangerous, no wonder my da wud clip me round the ear if he caught me rioting lol,  do u visit belfast much? a lot has changed, tho the rioting in the strand has recently returned?

JEANJEANNIE

« Reply #883 on: June 30, 2011, 12:41:53 AM »

Rep1, You can get some improvement on your pics with a few tweaks. A lot of the photos I took in the 70,s were the same, with colour castes.

trez

« Reply #884 on: June 30, 2011, 04:27:31 PM »
Yes it was scary at times and dangerous, Sadly no I don't visit much. My Grandparents,Mum Uncles and Aunt all from there long before the troubles began. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

hi trez,when u r 10 and 12 it seem like fun, tho looking back it was pretty scary and dangerous, no wonder my da wud clip me round the ear if he caught me rioting lol,  do u visit belfast much? a lot has changed, tho the rioting in the strand has recently returned?