Author Topic: Thames Street 1952 / 1968  (Read 6578 times)

LONE RANGER

Thames Street 1952 / 1968
« on: October 02, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »
I would like to link up with ex residents of Thames Street / Braemar Street / Irwell Street / and Broadway from 1952 / 1968 , I lived in Thames Street during this time I am on a down hill spiral to the grand old age of seventy I had a great many friends there , I played hand ball at Dr Lamb`s gable wall and roller skated down the Thames Street hill turning into Irwell Street a great thrill , we had push bikes that made a noise like a motor bike with lolly pop sticks and clothes peg`s holding this great invention together , and then guiders with two wheels at the front and one or two ball bearing wheels at the rear we made our own fun , the girls played wee shops at the door breaking up old china and such exchanging it for what ever skipping and hop scotch , the ground at the front door of the house was washed that much that a half moon was allways there anyhow it was a great time to be young .     

Nick Keene

Re: Thames Street 1952 / 1968
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 08:41:14 PM »
I was born in Broadway, had relatives there, grandmother and uncle in latter years lived in Iveagh St and we spent many happy days around Thames Street and the Falls Rd. My Dad was one of a family of nine who lived in Thames St, sadly now all deceased from prob 1930's until around 1968 when when my old aunt fell ill and came to live with us and we cleared the house. Dr Lambs I attended as a child, my mother was from Roden St and most of her family worked in the RVH. Broadway Presbyterian played a big part in all our lives with my Dad and family attending and in the BB there. We also attended until the church's demise was imminent, sadly.

LONE RANGER

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 05:48:05 PM »
NICK I AM SO SORRY BUT THIS DAM SYSTEM HAS LOST ALL MY REPLY TO YOUR KIND MESSAGE ! I AM TOTALLY SICK MAINLY BECAUSE IT WAS SUCH A LONG MESSAGE WITH LOTS AND LOTS OF NAMES FOR YOU TO LOOK OVER , I HAVE SPENT A HUGH AMOUNT OF TIME REPLYING TO YOU AND I HAVE SPENT A HUGH AMOUNT OF TIME SEARCHING FOR IT WITH OUT ANY SUCCESS , I WILL SEND ANOTHER REPLY WHEN I CAN WRITE DOWN THE NAMES I HAD FOR YOU THIS IS GOING TO BE A HUGH TASK SO BARE WITH ME I WILL GET BACK TO YOU , KIND REGARDS THE LONE RANGER AND SILVER OF COURSE AND TANTO AND SCOUT AS WELL HIGH HO SILVER AWAY !

LONE RANGER

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 03:38:49 PM »
Nick i am starting a new reply i have hunted high and low for my first reply to no avail it just went off the radar into infinity and beyond as Buzz lightyear would say , i was reared between Sandy Row and Kitchener Street Donegall Road i went to Broadway Primary School at five years old i think i was sent there as my grand parents lived in Broadway in the so called village , there was a hugh amount of people from Thames Street , Braemar Street , Broadway Road , Whiterock , Ballymurphy , and New Barnsley we all mixed together very well no bother what so ever infact believe it or not i played Galic and Hurling in the Falls Park and swam in the falls baths nobody said boo! , from 1952 and until i was 21 i remained in contact with a good lot of these people and then the troubles came everyone then just went their own way sad really , i will try to go over the names i can remember most of us would be hitting the 70 mark if alive , now these people went to Broadway School there was Kevin Massey , Jamesy Garr and his sister Madline Garr a real film star looker in the Janet Jackson mould , George Dowie his sister Lorraine Dowie , Victor Nesbitt and his uncle Jimmy Nesbitt , Norman Spratt his brother Trevor Spratt , Alex Todd his sister Norma Todd , John Duckett his brothers Reggie and David , , Jackie Curry , Boyd Rankin , Norman Waterworth , Andy Kerr , Albert Artis , Jim Jelly , Jim Coats , Kenny McKee , Edward Gibiney , Eric Bryans , there was a big family of the Stevensons , the Baxters , the Arthurs , the Dawsons , the Darraghs , the Gardners , the Laverys , and more and more i think Nick you will be sorry you bothered sorry so long for now .

Nick Keene

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 12:43:24 AM »
Thanks for that, check your private messages, you'll have mail there very soon.

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 09:52:28 AM »
Fancy seeing you again l/r I met up with andy kerr when I was back home.i also heard john duckett isn't to well.please come back on the excise st thread I enjoyed having a banter with you.

LONE RANGER

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 10:54:20 AM »
Jimmy it would be very hard seeing me as i wear a mask unless you have x-ray vision like our very own Superman , my own Ulster accent must give you a clue not many dipsticks walk around with a white horse in tow with a mask on the glittering white horse as well with an Ulster accent with breathing difficultes and diabetes and spinal trouble , for big white elephant sake i must look a right sight i will have to consider speaking to May McFettridge about taking over her role as this mask man lark is to exhausting her accent is much more refined than mine will be very hard putting Silver and Tanto down May would be very pleased as she is getting on a bit , nice to hear you got home for a while and seen the over sixties well over sixties and your journey back to Australia was without drama , well that is it for now will consider the Excise Street offer us Chelsea Pensioners must be in bed early after we have mucked out this plonker Silver just won`t go out side these dark nights C.O.Y.S.  ?    Kind Regards to you and your family and extended family .   

Jimmy Patterson

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 11:50:14 AM »
L/rid everything you have said is true I know who you are.

Nick Keene

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 01:56:50 PM »
Lone Ranger, sorry but the last two private messages you have sent are only quote copies of my messages to you, is there something wrong, I cannot understand what's happening my friend?

LONE RANGER

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 02:10:44 PM »
Nick i am very poor on the computer not a tech person so have not got a clue sorry pal .

Nick Keene

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 02:21:55 PM »
when you read the personal message, hit the REPLY button and type your reply and send, you seem to be hitting the QUOTE button and sending, try one or two word answers first if it suits mate

LONE RANGER

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 08:57:50 AM »
Nick thanks for your concern pal i have sent quite a few replys no bother but there is some other force working against me , i have also replied to Jimmy Patterson lately and they also have gone astray i know a wizz kid who can work these contraptions with his eyes closed hope to get things sorted soon its a matter of getting him with some free time.

LONE RANGER

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 12:06:24 PM »
I can`t believe there is no one else out there to share some old memories from Thames Street / Braemar Street / Irwell Street / and Broadway from the years 1952 / 1968 the best years of my life , i bet i hold this record from the area i played hurling in the Falls Park , Galic in the Falls park , Football in the Falls with the great Charlie Tullys brother Peter Tully and Galic on the Whiterock and handball up against Doctor Lambs gable wall that was something for a wee prody dick to do these were the days when you faith ment nothing . 

JackM

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 01:12:54 PM »
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

LONE RANGER

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 02:03:53 PM »
Jack M !    Thank you for your kind reply what a treasure of a photograph and who knows i might be in the hut along with these other guys all though i think my self and pals would have been truly annoyed not being able to play our hand ball at Dr Lambs gable wall .